It's the middle of the night

Here you can talk about anything (that isn't related to the other forums).

Moderator: Crew

eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Re: It's the middle of the night

Post by eMTe »

Drasir-Vel wrote:It's literally the middle of the night
Can "the middle of the night" appear to be something else than the "the midle of the night" in some cases? ;)
"As you have noticed over the years, we are not angry people." (itebygur)
Drasir-Vel
[insert custom title here]

Post by Drasir-Vel »

I don't know how it is in other countries, but i have the impression from where i live that "it's the middle of the night" doesn't necessarily refer to the middle, but more like a saying, because saying "it's night" doesn't pack that much of a punch.
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

literally middle of the night, at least to me, that it's exactly at the midpoint of the night. "Middle of the night" defines a more broad timespan. How does measure when the night starts and ends, is entirely other matter.
Do you has what it takes to join the Homestarmy? The guts? The determination? The five bucks? Join today!
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Well, for me "middle of the night" means that you "feel" that's it's truly a night, not a late evening and not early morning. There are no signs of daylight, there's no road traffic, windows in nearby flats/houses are dark, all people seem to be sleeping and there's the general silence around. For me it is sometime between midnight and 3 or 4 am, so any hour within this period, be it 00:12 or 2:56 is "middle of the night".

"Literally middle of the night" means for me that it's, like Zyx says, midpoint between sunset and sunrise.

When I was starting this topic I probably simply copied it's title from OG, because I remember we had the one like this over there. What was on the mind of its starter there - I dont know. ;)

Anyway, I hope TrueCrypt did its job. :)
Drasir-Vel
[insert custom title here]

Post by Drasir-Vel »

Yes, it did. If you insert this USB key into a computer now, it will appear as unformatted. But if you run TrueCrypt on it, and enter the password, it mounts it as a seperate drive. Sort of like how Daemon Tools work, (if the USB key was an ISO file), but with a middlelayer of encryption.
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

It's almost literally middle of the night for me. I guess. With the summer time starting it's hard to say. So I'll go to bed.
Do you has what it takes to join the Homestarmy? The guts? The determination? The five bucks? Join today!
Railwaymodeler
Legend

Post by Railwaymodeler »

A little after midnight for me right now.

Skoda has been crying much of the night so far. Maria and I are taking turns holding her. She seems to only be comfortable when the cat, Loki, is around. Unfortunatly, Loki does not want to be close to Skoda because of the crying. So, I've tried to catch Loki and hold her while Maria holds Skoda. Did not work well.

Loki has strong legs for a cat, plus all claws. She clawed me up trying to get out of my arms.

Sometime soon I am planning to buy Skoda a toy stuffed cat and see what that does. At least the toy can be placed in her crib, and won't run off and hide under a chair!

Sounds crazy to those that aren't, I suppose, but I do love being a dad!
Without trains America Stops- Support Amtrak

Old trains never die. They just sit in ruin and wait until the day they are taken in by a skilled craftsman and rebuilt to their former glory.
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

:D
(Ilove how you are prepared to get clawed to death holding your cat up in front of your baby to stop her from crying - it says a lot about the lengths one would go to. :)
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

Chroelle wrote::D
(Ilove how you are prepared to get clawed to death holding your cat up in front of your baby to stop her from crying - it says a lot about the lengths one would go to. :)
I think it's just the effect of toxoplasmosis... :garfield:
Scythe
Winner of CWF review contest!

Post by Scythe »

...and I'm playing Poacher. Once I found my stride, it's hard to stop!
Pater Alf
The Steel Spine of GameHunters

Post by Pater Alf »

Used my night shift to browse through the "in development" forum and look which projects still exist, which ones died and which releases we missed. Think I will go on tomorrow night.
[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]
Railwaymodeler
Legend

Post by Railwaymodeler »

Gotten a total of two hours sleep tonight. Two last night. Hour and a half night before that. Not even six hours sleep between the past three nights.

Two of those nights, I had a lot on my mind and could not sleep. Now tonight neither Maria nor I can sleep, as Skoda cannot sleep. Been a loud storm outside all night keeping her up.

Old trains never die. They just sit in ruin and wait until the day they are taken in by a skilled craftsman and rebuilt to their former glory.
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

...and I just finished my fourth game of Daibanchou - Big Bang Age. Still 2-3 to go before my inner completionist is happy.
Railwaymodeler
Legend

Post by Railwaymodeler »

Quiet night tonight, about a quarter to 1 AM now. Skoda is quietly sleeping in her crib, the cat, Loki, is sleeping near her, as usual. Maria is in bed right now sound asleep. Got one small desk lamp on in our room. We moved Skoda's crib to the living room, as that seems to work better for her (and us). Hoping soon to be moved into an actual house!

Been thinking about things tonight. Found myself thinking earlier, that it is hard for me to believe Maria and I have been a couple for nearly six years now. Though we've had our share of problems, mostly early on, or the ones through Pace, we still feel that spark we had when we first met.

The crazy part is, I remember years ago, right after she started at Pace, another fellow, Chris, did as well. Right as Maria and I started dating, I'd become friends with Chris. I remember sitting in the bus at the end of the line, waiting there about 10 minutes, and he told me he had his eye on a lady that started shortly before he did. Of course, that would be Maria. Of course, I told him I was already dating her, and he respected that. A few years later, he met a lady, ironically also named Maria, that rode his bus often. They got married, and have their own family now too.

For all the insanity around here, seems that everything works to its own best ending.

Right now, just looking at Maria, I don't call her my fiancee, to me she is my wife already, sleeping, she is like a goddess to me. I figure I'll just watch her sleep for a while.

eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

It's almost like reading an old book. I mean the words which flow with slow pace and gentleness - it reminds a pre-war memoir rather than modern blog. You should consider publishing it when you both will be very old. I'm serious. :D
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

It actually was a quite pleasant read I agree! Both content and the smoothness with which you wrote. Did you ever write anything Raillo - you know - just for kicks?

--Mark Twain
Railwaymodeler
Legend

Post by Railwaymodeler »

Actually, yes, back when I was in high school. My creative writing projects usually totaled a hundred to two hundred computer typed pages. That would be just one creative story.

Freshman year of high school, I did the short stories they asked, after that, I worked an agreement with my instructors (I was in Honors English classes - there was basic, accelerated, then honors classes, which were the most advanced), where instead of many smaller pieces, I could work on one larger one for the school year.

More or less gave up on writing after college, as life tended to ensure I had no free time! Maria has read a few of my old stories, and we plan to preserve them for Skoda when she is older too.

Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

I (like so many others in here) also have quite a few short stories and beginning novels hidden in the back of drawers, boxes and whatnots. It's quite fuyn to read them, but sometimes I fall upon a story that I get annoyed with not following. I had a very good plot some (13) years ago, that really could have made a great book, but it seems the time has passed for this one. :re:

Back on topic I can sa that there are very few late nights per se for me currently. I have a bunch of legal documents and constructionpapers, real estate agent agreements and email-corrospndings that I am reading over currently every night, and they make sure that I nod off on the couch before 11 each night, but when I decide to finally just go to bed, it seems I cant fall asleep, and I have started reading my book "Neverwhere" (Neil Gaiman) again because of that. That however is able to keep me up at night, and the other night I was reading until 1.30. That is actually quite good because I have missed having time to read. :)

--Mark Twain
Railwaymodeler
Legend

Post by Railwaymodeler »

After talking with Maria about it, I've decided that it might just be a good idea to stop joking about writing that book, and set it into motion.

I figure much of my late-teenage years into the present would be the best part to write about, but a background of my childhood would be in order for much of it to make sense. On the other hand, I am fixing to start the book right where it gets good, back in 2001. If I write it in shorter sections, this way I can write the good parts first, and then only write what is needed of the earlier years.

Maybe CWF needs an active creative writing section.

On topic, it's nearly 1 AM here. Once again, I am awake, Maria and Skoda are sleeping. I'm under a fair amount of stress; in this week leading up to the next case against Pace this coming Monday, the management have been doing what they can to stop everyone involved. Seems rather odd that there has been a surge in assaults on bus drivers lately!

Scythe

Post by Scythe »

I keep wishing I could get back into writing, but it seems like the instant gratification of gaming has taken over my free time. I have gotten better at reading again though, so maybe that will help. Also reading late at night. :)