It's the middle of the night

Here you can talk about anything (that isn't related to the other forums).

Moderator: Crew

Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Re: It's the middle of the night

Post by Zyx »

Sounds like your cat has some kind of herding instinct. That's quite normal behavior for dogs with herding background, and not surprisingly herding dogs are usually the most intelligent breeds (fe. border collie is thought to be the most intelligent dog breed).

Suffice to say, my little cattle dog does that exact same night-time roundup.
Do you has what it takes to join the Homestarmy? The guts? The determination? The five bucks? Join today!
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Zyx wrote:herding dogs are usually the most intelligent breeds (fe. border collie is thought to be the most intelligent dog breed).
So is unexpectedly poodle, despite having a reputation of being rather stupid.
"As you have noticed over the years, we are not angry people." (itebygur)
Railwaymodeler
Legend

Post by Railwaymodeler »

Zyx wrote:Sounds like your cat has some kind of herding instinct. That's quite normal behavior for dogs with herding background, and not surprisingly herding dogs are usually the most intelligent breeds (fe. border collie is thought to be the most intelligent dog breed).

Suffice to say, my little cattle dog does that exact same night-time roundup.
This makes sense. Loki was raised by a cat hoarder. This person had dozens of cats, I was told, and neglected them all. From what I've gathered, the cats sounds as though they formed groups with a leader of some kind for survival.

Cats are pretty intelligent overall, and I can see Loki sure is! She knows when something is wrong with Skoda, Maria, or myself. When she senses something wrong with one of us, she won't let that person leave her sight. Last time Skoda was starting to get sick, Loki spent most of the day with Skoda in her crib. This allowed her to fight off whatever sickness she was coming down with.

Tonight I'm staying up late, as in about 12 hours, Maria and I are heading north for a few days. Skoda will stay with her grandma. RIght now, the two of us need some time alone and away from here.

Maria went to bed early, as she will be driving. I'll probably follow in an hour or so. Trying to get a few things done before we leave, and this way, I'll sleep in the car.
Without trains America Stops- Support Amtrak

Old trains never die. They just sit in ruin and wait until the day they are taken in by a skilled craftsman and rebuilt to their former glory.
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

It WAS 2am when I woke up with high fever, headache and belly-ache. I immediately blamed cold pizza from the morning, because I had no other suspect. What was worse I slept only two hours and woke in the middle of terrifying nightmare - there was some dark house, it was cold and I was chased by armed paper-dolls, slightly resembling medieval soldiers, only they had Groke faces. I wasn't so scared since watching Ringu and it took 5 mins for panic attack to completely disappear.

What's funny I was going for a mountain trip, so at 5 am I had to send long apologetic sms to a friend and told him to get back to sleep right when he reads it. I hate such situations.

At least I feel better now.
Pager
Winner of CWF review contest!

Post by Pager »

Sorry to hear about your double whammy, sickness and a nightmare...good thing you are feeling better but stinks that you had to miss the mountaintop extravaganza.
CWF - Safer than Crack, Twice as Addicting
Railwaymodeler
Legend

Post by Railwaymodeler »

Now that is a crazy nightmare! I used to have ones like that, the kind where I wake up terrified. Haven't had in a long time though. Seems that the last one I'd had was before the Pace thing was settled, and a doctor I saw for it, believed they were brought on by the stress of everything they'd done. Perhaps being sick caused it then?

Old trains never die. They just sit in ruin and wait until the day they are taken in by a skilled craftsman and rebuilt to their former glory.
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

I think gastric problems have tendency to cause nightmares, generally. But maybe it's just the folk legend, linking two totally unrelated issues.
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

Fever gives me nightmares most of the time. Not the scared for five minutes kind, but nightmares for sure.
Pager

Post by Pager »

eMTe wrote:I think gastric problems have tendency to cause nightmares, generally. But maybe it's just the folk legend, linking two totally unrelated issues.
I'd believe it, my wife has nightmares whenever she has stomach problems...and whenever she eats dairy close to bed.
Railwaymodeler
Legend

Post by Railwaymodeler »

Feeling sick tonight. Stomach problems. Overall got that sick feeling, the kind where you can't describe it, but you know you are coming down with something. No surprise there, with temperatures back and forth so much, that creates a breeding ground for germs. Plus, on top of that, my lower back and left knee hurt, and my right shoulder is flaring up bad enough that it alone is more pain than I can sleep through. Add the knee and back, and I'm miserable.

Skoda is at grandma's house as long as I'm sick. Maria is sound asleep now. At my workbench in our bedroom, she keeps reaching over for where I usually lay, thinking in her sleep, that I should be next to her. Working on restoring some old 1950s metal passenger cars just to keep occupied with something.

Pater Alf
The Steel Spine of GameHunters

Post by Pater Alf »

Not sure if I can sleep. Rain finally stopped, but the flood is coming. Peak level of the rivers will be reached tonight and our town official said they are not sure that the dykes will hold. My house is not in danger (there's a little water in the cellar, but nothing dramatic), but it's a strange feeling to go to bed and to know that half the town might be flooded when you wake up.
[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Well, did you survive?

I havent read news from Europe for weeks, but I feel that the danger is over. However experts here predict, if you can predict it of course, that there may be similar floods later this summer and we should prepare for similar events in central Europe each consecutive year due to climate changes.
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

Well obviously I survived. :wink:

My town was lucky, but others nearby wasn't and were flooded and many people lost their homes or their possessions. But that was weeks ago and for most of us everything is back to normal by now. Good thing when stuff like that happens (if there is anything good in it), is that it often prooves that community sense is stil strong and that most people are very willing to help and not as cynical and indifferent as one might often assume.
[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

It's in the middle of the night and I'm only awake, because I had to ban and kill all these f****** Russian spam bots. Think my work is done for now and I can go to bed. Good night!
Railwaymodeler
Legend

Post by Railwaymodeler »

More of them apparently.

I've become no stranger to being up at night. Worsening pain problems keep me awake. Even after a cortizone injection to my back, it is still a problem.

Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

Pater Alf wrote:It's in the middle of the night and I'm only awake, because I had to ban and kill all these f****** Russian spam bots. Think my work is done for now and I can go to bed. Good night!
I guess you do not have access to the "Delete all posts by this user"-functionality that is in the admin panel. It makes this a little bit easier but still I hate how few tools phpbb gives to delete and ban spam accounts.
Do you has what it takes to join the Homestarmy? The guts? The determination? The five bucks? Join today!
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

Zyx wrote: I guess you do not have access to the "Delete all posts by this user"-functionality that is in the admin panel. It makes this a little bit easier but still I hate how few tools phpbb gives to delete and ban spam accounts.
You're right, I don't have access to that tool and had to delete the posts one by one. Wasn't much fun. Good to know that such a functionality exists though and that you can clean the forum much faster than I can. Would've really been bad to delete the 178 topics by one single bot alone (not to talk about the other ones)this noon without you being around..
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

It is funny to observe how grass (spam) takes over the ruins (CWF).

We are all funny f***, aren't we?
Pager

Post by Pager »

spam? me no see spam... :shock:
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

eMTe wrote:It is funny to observe how grass (spam) takes over the ruins (CWF).
Who are we then? The last gardeners?