Large Government

Here you can talk about anything (that isn't related to the other forums).

Moderator: Crew

Prideth
Patron

Large Government

Post by Prideth »

I've often seen people on other forums, mainly Americans, speaking out against large governments and how the larger a government is, the more they interfere with peoples lives. Thing is though, what sort of interference? Many of those who are shouting for small, or non-existant government are usually the same people screaming for governments to step in and ban things like abortion, gay marriage, sex education, voluntary euthenasia ect. If that isn't interfering, I don't know what is.

I've never really understood what the big deal is about big governments though. We elect governments to run our nations, and the more of them there is, the better that happens, at least I hope so.

Of course I can see how bigger governments would be more likely to be corrupt and waste money, but isn't the extra services and benefits of a larger government worth that? With the proper measures in place, that sort of down side can be kept to a minimum.
[size=75][color=darkblue]Catch a falling star and put it in your pocket
Never let it fade away
Catch a falling star and put it in your pocket
Save it for a rainy day[/color][/size]
KDream

Post by KDream »

It depends of where we draw the line. Technically a government should only be responsible of managing those aspects that are of public interests - national infrastructure, maybe pensions, international affairs, environment, internal and external security, etc. Anything else, things like abortion, gay marriages euthanasia are intrusions in private life and they should never be regulated by government in any way.
mistergreen77
Tycoon

Post by mistergreen77 »

The problem is trying to integrate people with incompatible value systems. The larger and more diverse the population, the more difficult it is. For instance, it is reasonable to expect a country whose population is predominantly muslim to enact Islamic laws. If people with very different value systems live there they will have problems. The idea of a nation is a collection of people that share values in common create an identity for themselves - this is different from the idea of a state.
[size=84][color=green]“Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler.”[/color] - Einstein

[color=green]“There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness.”[/color] - Nietzsche[/size]

:twisted: [url=http://forum.connect-webdesign.dk/viewtopic.php?p=5411#5411]Society of Sinister Minds.[/url]