The little Inn by the wayside

Here you can talk about anything (that isn't related to the other forums).

Moderator: Crew

Tormuse
Warhero

Re: The little Inn by the wayside

Post by Tormuse »

Hi Dizi, nice to see you! :) (I lurk here on occasion too!) :D What's new with you lately? It just so happens that I was in your neck of the woods last month. (Er... you live in England, right?)

And a Happy Belated Birthday to Railwaymodeler. :)
[size=84]"A Canadian is someone who knows how to make love in a canoe."
Pierre Burton[/size]
Dizi
Legend

Post by Dizi »

eMTe wrote:Cut the internet cable.
:lol: Yup that would probably make me more social :lol:

Hi Tormuse :D
I'm currently in the process of moving, same town just better location, its taking a lot longer than expected due to hold ups but hoping we'll be moved in by the end of this month :)

Yes I live in England, where were you staying? And what have you been up to, you still in a barbershop chorus (it was barbershop wasn't it?)
Tormuse
Warhero

Post by Tormuse »

I was staying in Derby, England. I also visited Neustadt, Germany and Stockholm, Sweden.

And yes, I sing in a barbershop music chorus. We were actually invited to Europe to perform. Our performances were very well received, especially in Sweden, and we had an awesome time. :)

Other than that, just working at Wal-Mart and procrastinating about getting my massage therapist licence reinstated so I can get back to doing what I went to school for. :P (I finished taking a refresher course, so I just need to pay some fees and I'll be good to go)

What's new with you? Good luck with your move; I know moving can be a pain in the butt to coordinate, so I hope it all goes well for you. :)
Pierre Burton[/size]
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

I cut Facebook once and for good. It ceased being useful for anything I ever needed it for. As for the cable, it's not imminent, but considered.

Procrastination, I know something about it. Dangerously deceptive practice, frequently accompanied by various isms. Stay away from it, as long as you can.
"As you have noticed over the years, we are not angry people." (itebygur)
Dizi
Legend

Post by Dizi »

Wow, I'm glad that you had a great time and that the performances went well too :)

I'm still working as a web designer for the same company, I've been with them for 6 years now...which is scary, almost as scary as this place being 10 next year, which makes me feel sooooo old :lol: Other than creating web sites my life has been pretty dull as we've been trying to save up as much as we can so we can move, although along with that we are planning a trip to Iceland for next year possibly.

Good luck with getting your licence, seems like the hard work of that is already done though if you've completed the refresher course :D

eMTe - Facebook is a strange one for me, I have an account but never use it for personal stuff as I don't see the point in it. The only reason I haven't closed it down is because I have to admin the companies page, so without the personal one I can't update that one.
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

Although I tend not to really use it, I keep my Facebook account around because that's how a lot of family and IRL-Friends know to contact me. About a year ago, I scanned in my old School-Class-Photos from Primary school (88/89'ish) and posted them to Facebook, which led to a massive influx of old schoolfriends being tagged and added to the thing. Ever since, my Facebook has become more about my old school community, than being just a place to spam about my games!
It's nice to have it be that, and it's a nice little corner of the internet that I can occasionally go to, to be nosey, and read about how all my old school friends went on to have fun adventurous lives, having proper jobs, getting married and having kids.. ... Whilst sat behind a monitor, eating noodles and writing piddly games that nobody plays.
:\

Where did all go wrong!?!
Dizi
Legend

Post by Dizi »

The only game I have installed on my phone is C3ntipong :-p
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

\o/yeay\o/

(You should probably at least have Peggle, and WordsWithFriends on there, though!)
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

The problem with internet as a whole is that it's hard to say what's it useful for, anymore. Having become "natural environment" it simultaneously became as important as the grass you step on. And who cares about the grass?
addseo1115
Probably a spambot

Post by addseo1115 »

Excellent.
Dizi
Legend

Post by Dizi »

@jay Nope the only game I need is C3ntipong.... must beat highscore :shock:

I like the internet, its how I make a living so to me it is very useful :tease: :lol: But I do agree that its somewhat lost what it was originally about for me, now that its seen as more of a basic necessity to constantly be online and "connected" to people digitally.
addseo1115 wrote:Excellent.
Wayne's World, Wayne's World, Party time...
Tormuse
Warhero

Post by Tormuse »

Schwing! ;)

I seem to recall reading that the original *original* intent of the internet was for the military to have a decentralized way of communicating in the event of nuclear attack, so yeah, we've moved pretty far from the original intent of the internet! :D That being said, there are still plenty of people who use it for something close to that original intent; there are parts of the world where corrupt leaders are doing their best to shut down the internet or otherwise limit their people's ability to use it, to prevent people from organizing and rising up against them. For you and me, it may be fun to use the intenet to share funny cat pictures, but for others, the internet could mean the difference between life and death!

As for Jayenkai's games, I have a ton of them compressed on my Android phone's memory card, so I can decompress and play any of them whenever I want. The ones I have active right now are JNKatoms, Platdude Golf, and Arcade Slots.

And Jay, it's my belief that every person has to live their life by their own standards; if you spend too much time comparing yourself to others, it'll just depress you. I don't know how important it is to you to have a "proper" job or be married with kids, but the way I see it, you've got a pretty cool collection of games that you've designed that you can be proud of and an occupation doing something you enjoy and that suits your ADD mentality. :) And frankly, if you don't mind my saying so, with your disability, it's probably an occupation that you're best suited for, since you can do it sitting down. (How are you doing healthwise, BTW?)
Pierre Burton[/size]
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

jayenkai wrote:writing piddly games that nobody plays.
Well, I write posts that nobody reads, so :welcome: to the club.

Healthwise, for those who know and are interested, I'm two hours after *the thing*. Results are next Friday. So keep your lurking fingers crossed.
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

Dang, a whole week? That sucks..
I don't mind waiting a week for a game review, but .. Sheesh..

Speaking of being popular, SpikeDislike3 got OODLES of attention over on GameJolt, this week, with comments like "Looks gorgeous", which.. I don't know what game that guy was looking at, but I don't think anyone's EVER said that about my games, before.. .. Maybe he was drunk at the time?!
Annoyingly, the thing's STILL stuck in Apple Review, so the Pay-For iOS edition still isn't bloomin' well out. All that love and attention, and gettin' zip all in return. Typical..

Health Update
Stuck in a bit of a rut. I "feel" like I can do more, now. I'm mostly balanced in normal day-to-day life. I've managed to get "Shave and Wash Hair" into a single day. Still need a rest period between each, but at least they're both in one day, as opposed to being spread over a couple of days. .. Yup, that's as interesting as it gets!
If I attempt too much, though, the sickness returns. A gentle stroll around the street, or helping put up the Xmas tree, or even trying to cook a meal.. It all requires a lot of movement, and my head really can't take it. I end up getting stupidly dizzy and then the sickness is overwhelming.
Even playing GTAV for more than about half an hour can bring on a bout of motion sickness. Sucks..

Instead, I sit about, and do not much. I can code. That's good. I write music, doodle art, and generally do lots of "sitting" things. I hate that I have to rely on others, and that whenever I'm having a "good" day, I seem to stupidly think "I'm fine, I can do this!" and then.. Not!!
*shrugs*

Yeay, Coding! \o/
Tormuse
Warhero

Post by Tormuse »

eMTe wrote: Healthwise, for those who know and are interested, I'm two hours after *the thing*. Results are next Friday. So keep your lurking fingers crossed.
Ah, yes. I didn't see your message on FB about *the thing* until much later, so sorry I didn't reply. I hope everything comes out okay. (er... so to speak) :|
jayenkai wrote: If I attempt too much, though, the sickness returns. A gentle stroll around the street, or helping put up the Xmas tree, or even trying to cook a meal.. It all requires a lot of movement, and my head really can't take it. I end up getting stupidly dizzy and then the sickness is overwhelming.
Even playing GTAV for more than about half an hour can bring on a bout of motion sickness. Sucks..
Well, at least there's a little improvement, but still, that does sound like it sucks. :| When you talk about the sickness returning, do you mean like you feel nauseated? Or is there some other symptom to it?
Pierre Burton[/size]
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

Nausea leading to vomit-city!! In fact, not really all that nauseous, to be honest. Just.. "Here we go again!"
Not pleasant to talk about, and even less pleasant to experience! Still, at least it isn't every day like it used to be. Although whether that's the symptoms dying down, or just that I'm learning to sit still all smegging day... *shrugs*

I can't complain. There are others out there (and in here!) going through much worse stuff than me, and I'm quite content to sit here coding all day. Truth be told, my life isn't that much different to how it used to be. .. My social life's all but vanished, but meh, what can you do..!
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

jayenkai wrote:There are others out there (and in here!) going through much worse stuff than me
You were born...now suffer!
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Health update. I'm clean. But I have to do t. every three months for upcoming 1,5 - 2 years.
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

That's better than the alternative.
Congrats on ... Not the alternative!
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Sounds like the wishes for Greece.