The little Inn by the wayside

Here you can talk about anything (that isn't related to the other forums).

Moderator: Crew

Dizi
Legend

Re: The little Inn by the wayside

Post by Dizi »

Well all my stuff is in my new place, although a lot is still in boxes its amazing how much stuff you can accumulate without even realising it and most of it is rubbish that I'm too sentimental to part with.

Sorry to hear you are going through something eMTe, I'm glad that you got the all clear and hopefully even through you have to go back every three months a clean bill this time is a sign that it will stay that way.
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Dizi wrote:its amazing how much stuff you can accumulate without even realising it and most of it is rubbish
Stuffless people are not well viewed by the society. Accumulate as much as you can or at least trick others to think you possess much.

Nah, it's irony. Still, everybody I know would say that it's irony, yet they would do it anyway. Which means it's hypocrisy, not irony. For them. I decumulate for a long long time.
"As you have noticed over the years, we are not angry people." (itebygur)
Dizi
Legend

Post by Dizi »

That's true, if it was expensive stuff as people are quite fickle. However the majority of my stuff is down to a huge collection of adventure games ranging from the early 90's to now and far too many eeyore toys, so I don't think that my accumulation of stuff really increase my social standing. It's more that I take after my dad and an issue with throwing things away that I'm don't really need as I remember who gave it to me and so just hoard them instead.
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Accumulating material things is still way better than taking part in this pop culture phenomenon:

https://medium.com/message/god-tier-fac ... 56ef0d31ec

I created only one meme in my life. I pulled it out of the dark folders of my hard disk once or maybe twice to comment something-somewhere, but it was created in my usual self-ironic way as a reminder to myself. I still have it I think. Oh, here it is, the meme of memes.
Attachments
fs884.jpg
fs884.jpg (56.36 KiB) Viewed 31090 times
Tormuse
Warhero

Post by Tormuse »

(Just going to ignore that random bit of anti-semitism there)
Dizi wrote:That's true, if it was expensive stuff as people are quite fickle. However the majority of my stuff is down to a huge collection of adventure games ranging from the early 90's to now and far too many eeyore toys, so I don't think that my accumulation of stuff really increase my social standing. It's more that I take after my dad and an issue with throwing things away that I'm don't really need as I remember who gave it to me and so just hoard them instead.
This was a huge issue in the house I grew up in. (And still is!) I grew up in a family of packrats so I know very well the urge to hoard things I don't need. When I moved out of my parents' home, it was very liberating to throw away a whole lot of things I really didn't need any more. I still find myself compulsively hoarding things from time to time, so I periodically have to remind myself to let go of those habits and purge my inventory. (This goes for video games as well as real life!) :D

I'm curious about your adventure game collection. Are we talking about video games or table top games? I was quite into Sierra-style adventure games back in the day, especially the Space Quest series! :)
[size=84]"A Canadian is someone who knows how to make love in a canoe."
Pierre Burton[/size]
Dizi
Legend

Post by Dizi »

Ahh memes the reason I can't stand facebook :-p

Its a collection of PC released adventure games. I got hooked on them in the early 90's when I first played the Sierra and Lucas Art games, they were really the first style of game that captured my imagination and set me down a path of preferring story led games over the ones that favour action.
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Tormuse wrote:(Just going to ignore that random bit of anti-semitism there)
Nobody f ucks with the Colonel.
Pager
Winner of CWF review contest!

Post by Pager »

bump. :lol:
CWF - Safer than Crack, Twice as Addicting
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

OK.

Hello all. How are you?
I've been mostly sat about the house doing my usual coding and generally stumbling about the place pretending I'm perfectly healthy, but realistically feeling mostly awful about my situation. I usually try to keep myself jolly, but lately that's been getting harder and harder, as I spend day after day after day after day doing nothing much more than sitting on the couch, coding.
The monotony of it all is starting to get to me, I think.

But, hey, can't complain, right? I'm mostly healthy, and that's the main thing.

\o/yeay\o/

Game-wise, I've been having a bucketload of fun playing Super Mario Maker, lately, which is a fantastically well designed little editor. Bravo to all at Nintendo who finally got around to doing it!
Also, last night I took a trip back to the world of Animal Crossing : New Leaf on 3DS. It's been over a year since I took the cartridge out, and replaced it with Smash Bros 3DS.. A few people on Twitter were talking about the game, and I got all nostalgic, so popped the game on for "a few minutes".
After a few hours of weeding, shopping, fishing and chatting to villagers, I finally closed the game and realised just how much I'd missed my daily trips to Plattown.
I might be visiting it more frequently, I imagine.
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Certain mysteries have been revealed recently.

Mike is not sure whether kill ratio between monsters appeared and monsters killed is a bug or not. He feels too old to remember.

Jeff hasnt created llamas on acid. It was mushrooms.

Zyx is still not the prime minister of Finland.

Universe is in a conundrum. Or any other pleasurably sounding state.

What else can be fun? :)
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

LOL. Have you been watching Jeff's Llama Periscopes?
Tormuse
Warhero

Post by Tormuse »

I guess I can drop by for a bit too. :)

Sorry to hear that your medical troubles have been getting you down, Jayenkai. :( I wish I could offer some words of comfort. Do you have friends that you can talk to and spend time with (or play games with?) to help take your mind off things?

As for myself, I'm still working at Wal-Mart, (boo!) and putting off seeking employment as a massage therapist, which is my area of expertise. I feel like I've been putting it off forever now. I just spent over a thousand dollars taking a massage therapy refresher course to help me get back into it, hoping it would help spur me into action, but I'm still experiencing cold feet about it. I think I'm mostly just scared of change and as much as I dislike working at Wal-Mart, I'm just a little too comfortable there. Hopefully, I'll get over that soon. :)

Games? Lately, I've been going between three games, Civilization 5, Payday 2, and DoomRL. A world-building game, a heist game, and a Roguelike, respectfully. I guess I have pretty diverse tastes. :)
Pierre Burton[/size]
Dizi
Legend

Post by Dizi »

Hi :D

It's been over a month since your post Tormuse, so I hope that you have taken a leap of faith and are now back working as a massage therapist... if not then why not? yes its scary but sometimes you have to trust yourself and abilities especially if it is something that you want to do, comfort is nice but if it is a comfort that you are not enjoying then that isn't really the best place to be in :lol:

As everyone talked about games, I've just started playing The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky, so far its fun and I'm hoping that I can stick with it as life seems to get in the way when I start an RPG and I can't dedicate the time to them and when I go back after a bit of time off I completely forget what it's about and how the battle system works.
Maz
Admin emeritus

Post by Maz »

eMTe wrote: Zyx is still not the prime minister of Finland. :)
Hmm... Zyx might well be more credible option for that position...
Maz
Admin emeritus

Post by Maz »

I just realized I have been wearing this Xmas avatar for quite a while now :] Well, what the heck - it's already November - some weirdos have been hanging Christmas decorations at September. And don't get me wrong - I am not one of those although I accept all kind of approaches in that area. Odd persons are allowed to lighten their gardens with ugly light cables unnaturally early if they want. And normal decent folks can have their decorations put up at the first of December. I am really open minded what comes to things like that. And it was plain accident neighbor's plastic Rudolph Reindeer ran under the truck...
Tormuse
Warhero

Post by Tormuse »

Maz, the first thing that came to mind when you mentioned the Christmas Avatar was this scene.
Dizi wrote: It's been over a month since your post Tormuse, so I hope that you have taken a leap of faith and are now back working as a massage therapist... if not then why not? yes its scary but sometimes you have to trust yourself and abilities especially if it is something that you want to do, comfort is nice but if it is a comfort that you are not enjoying then that isn't really the best place to be in :lol:
*Sigh* no, I still have not taken that leap of faith. :( I feel like I've been putting it off forever, but I'll get to it some time. :)
Pierre Burton[/size]
Maz
Admin emeritus

Post by Maz »

Reading your job problems made me think of movie about Thelma and Louise (hopefully I didn't misspell the names). And that made me think that even though comfy zones can be trapping - you still have positive problem :) You do have a job after all and still are free to choose. Problem is - crystal ball ran out of battery - hence making the change is scary thing.

In my experience one collects discomfort. And only when enough of it has piled up we make the actions to take the change... So question is - when does your discomfort-meter hit the red zone?
Dizi
Legend

Post by Dizi »

Hey Shadow it's nice to see you're still around :Bearhug:

I agree that the comfort of having a job there is less scary then jumping into the unknown, and to be fair I would probably do the same thing and stay within the job that I knew was secure. I hope if you do make the leap Tormuse that it all works out, as from the little bits you have posted on here it is something that you enjoy and have worked hard on being able to do :-D
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Having job is just one way to live your life, guys. Don't care much for what others tell you. For example, having a plant in your room, like a nice cactus, is much more important for your well-being.
jayenkai wrote:LOL. Have you been watching Jeff's Llama Periscopes?
No. We just got tired together.
Attachments
pixel 15 0 079.jpg
pixel 15 0 079.jpg (53.89 KiB) Viewed 30606 times
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Simply dropped by to say HI! And merry X-mas, and so on and so on... Sorry you haven't seen me in such a long time, but well... marriage issues, work issues, kids issues, house issues... etc.
All is good now, but it hasn't been a very cheerful year.

I actually dropped by because I decided to start gaming again, after being awol on the gaming scene for such a long time, and now I am trying to figure out what to play...
Black friday got me "Steam"-investing in 16 games from back then, but I wonder if I missed something... :-)

At the top of my head there was a game you recommended me eMTe, where you built a dynasty in medieval times by doing production and skills, and rising to become mayor or something, and having to take care of your kids at the same time, because your protagonist would age and eventually die, and then it would be good with something clever in the gene pool... What was that game again?
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain