The little Inn by the wayside

Here you can talk about anything (that isn't related to the other forums).

Moderator: Crew

jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Re: The little Inn by the wayside

Post by jayenkai »

Health
Headed off to the Neurosurgery Doc last week, and he's pretty much done with me. As far as he's concerned, this is probably as good as I'll get.
There are no known treatments for my Balance issues, since they seem to be stemming from something more severe than the simpler "Inner Ear" type issues, so I just have to get over it, and learn to live with it.
This has been the diagnosis for a good year or so, and although he's asked other surgeons/experts to look into my issues, nobody seems to have any blinkin' idea why it's happening.
Ho-hum!

Home Life
My sister's now moved out, and is living with her boyfriend.
It'll be strange having Xmas without her, but me, Mum and Molly the Cat will make sure to eat all the turkey, and drink all the Baileys.

Xmas
Merry Christmas, everybody!!
I made an Advent Calendar of games. Enjoy!

Coding
After the chaos of having written the previously mentioned collection of 26 games within around about a month, I'm having a well earned rest.
... Which will, of course, be spent coding a brand new Archive website, as well as fixing up a bunch of issues with my game's framework, ready for next year's AGameAWeek. Grrr! Loads to do.. No time to rest!

Hello
I hope you're all doing ok. It's a shame to see this place go this quiet. :(
\o *waves* o/
Keep Safe, Everybody!
Tormuse
Warhero

Post by Tormuse »

I'm still here! I just lurk a lot. :P

Sorry to hear you're still having medical issues, Jayenkai; :| well, the human brain has a tremendous capacity for adapting to new situations with practice, so here's hoping you can get better balance with time... although, it's been a couple years now, hasn't it? So, here's hoping you find some way to adapt to cope with it one way or another. :)

By the way, I like the your Alpha Collexion posted so far. :) I was momentarily confused about how I was supposed to unlock the games, but then it occurred to me that it's an advent calendar, so it makes perfect sense for each game to be locked until the appropriate day. It gives me something to look forward to each day this month. :)

As for myself, I finally, *finally* took the RMT refresher course, after many months of putting it off. It was a large expense, but I'm on my way to getting my massage therapy licence back and I'm hoping to get back to practicing as an RMT in the coming year. In the mean time, I have to endure Christmas at Wal-Mart; I've survived it before, so I'm sure I'll survive again. :)

In other news, my barbershop chorus, the Northern Lights, is going on a European tour next year! We have planned shows in England, Germany, and Sweden in April. Should be a fun time! :D

How's everyone else doing? (Anyone else here?)
[size=84]"A Canadian is someone who knows how to make love in a canoe."
Pierre Burton[/size]
Drasir-Vel
[insert custom title here]

Post by Drasir-Vel »

Hi all. I'm still here, i just don't have a lot to say as usual.
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

We all lurk.
Do you has what it takes to join the Homestarmy? The guts? The determination? The five bucks? Join today!
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Yes... Well.. Bi-monthly I lurk.
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain
Tormuse
Warhero

Post by Tormuse »

Is that twice a month or once every two months? :D
Pierre Burton[/size]
Tormuse
Warhero

Post by Tormuse »

Double post to say Merry Christmas to everyone who celebrates it! :) Have a good one! :D
Pierre Burton[/size]
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

CWF has stepped into the Lurk Ages.
"As you have noticed over the years, we are not angry people." (itebygur)
Railwaymodeler
Legend

Post by Railwaymodeler »

I hope it isn't permanent, and I hope that the site will be here in 2015. A lot of memories made here for me. Since I'm not sure what is happening with CWF, I am planning to copy some stuff down so it isn't lost forever.
Without trains America Stops- Support Amtrak

Old trains never die. They just sit in ruin and wait until the day they are taken in by a skilled craftsman and rebuilt to their former glory.
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

Railwaymodeler wrote:Since I'm not sure what is happening with CWF, I am planning to copy some stuff down so it isn't lost forever.
Those of us with some admin rights have been making periodical backups. The forums and the games should be safe. Yes, even the smilies. Yes, even most of the nostalgia forum.
Do you has what it takes to join the Homestarmy? The guts? The determination? The five bucks? Join today!
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

I really want to open up the talk about the sites future. Only problem is I am swamped with a lot of issues both at work and at home...
All are in good health - but the relationship isn't, so please bare with my lack of presence.

The bill is supposed to get paid soon(ish) and I want to know if there is a way that we can rearrange stuff so we dont need such a big webhotel... That is what is costing me, and I really feel more for the forums than for the games.
Open to suggestions.

EDIT: J*sus F*eaking Chr*st... What happened to getting hit by spam in my email from this place. I got 600 emails about accepting a new member to CWF... I got like 10 a month in the last couple of months, and the links dont direct to CWF -I didn't click them, I just hovered... But in the last couple of days I got 600+...
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

I updated the phpBB 3.0 to the latest version, I hope that will slow down the spambot registrations. It's just insane the amount of spambot registrations this site gets per day.
Pater Alf
The Steel Spine of GameHunters

Post by Pater Alf »

I'm a little late, but I will leave my lurking status to say "Happy New Year!!!" to everyone. :beersong:
[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

Zyx wrote:I updated the phpBB 3.0 to the latest version, I hope that will slow down the spambot registrations.
LOL!!
That ain't gonna do it!

If the site says "phpBB", the spambots say "Hurray!!!"
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

Yeah, that didn't do it. So I updated to phpBB 3.1. Which didn't do anything either, because no-one has gotten around to update any of the anti-spam tools to the new version. :Wallbang:

(Also, why is New posts-link hidden under Quick Links?)

So I made some new Q&A-questions that should be more bot-resistant.
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

I hope people are able to access this site. It's so quiet I'm not entirely sure if it's just normal lurking or if I broke something.

Anyways, I finally had time to prepare all the files and screenshots and whatnot for the Internet Archive guys. I'll let you know once CWF's awesome collection of the best freeware games from around 2000 - 2010 are up there.
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

No login issues here, I guess things are just a bit quiet.
Just us few, and the spambots ;)

...meanwhile, I've started doing a pixelart doodle a day, because.. Um..
*shrugs*

Be sure to follow @Platdude on Twitter for daily doodles!!
Tormuse
Warhero

Post by Tormuse »

No login issues; just normal lurking. :)
jayenkai wrote: ...meanwhile, I've started doing a pixelart doodle a day, because.. Um..
*shrugs*

Be sure to follow @Platdude on Twitter for daily doodles!!
Platdude in space? That looks pretty cool! :D Is there a game this is based on?
Pierre Burton[/size]
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

Nope, just random daily doodles!
.. Although, there IS a Platdude in Space game.
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

Hmm... I changed things around so that the forum now lives on curlysworldoffreeware.com and www. and forum. should just redirect there. I did forget to change the cookie settings in phpbb3 so some people might have had login problems. Fun thing: forum.connect-webdesign.dk still works if you're that hardcore veteran.

Anyways, I spent January as a "closure" month, ending a lot of things that I had left just hanging for way too long but also started a lot of new things that I should've done a long time ago. No, I didn't do any new year's resolutions because isn't the point of those that you never keep them?