The little Inn by the wayside

Here you can talk about anything (that isn't related to the other forums).

Moderator: Crew

eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Re: The little Inn by the wayside

Post by eMTe »

Pater Alf wrote:When I look at our most downloaded games, it probably means Curly's World of f*** Freeware... :lol:

Edit: What the hell, we auto-censor curse words... :shock:
That reminds me...

http://cubeworldforum.org/topic/3923-cw ... ma-forums/

Who was it? :D

Anyway, I dream of a filter censoring sweetish words, like c**e or c**l.
"As you have noticed over the years, we are not angry people." (itebygur)
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

Disgraceful behaviour. You should all be ashamed of yourselves!!
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Well, it wasnt me. The only insults in my dictionary are leftist, philosopher and teenager. I dont remember calling somebody a noob, I never got into this weird gaming nomenclature.
Drasir-Vel
[insert custom title here]

Post by Drasir-Vel »

Man, with saying that, you'd think there'd have been more activity here. I haven't noticed anything besides you regular's quiet chatter over the last period of time.
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

If you need activity, I suggest you reviving dead topics or creating new ones. I'm a natural born particle *cough* polemist, what I need is interaction and confrontation, nothing else. Fire away in any given topic and I will answer.

If it seems quite here for you it is because you still dont understand the nature of things or the nature of evolution or you read too many books. It's a male-hidden period, males are afraid of posting in web because they may be considered gays, gamers, virgins, third-world folk, afro-americans, drunkards or scandinavians supporting piratebay. They would post, sure, but they prefer to believe that techno progress isnt bijection of aggression.

In other words have fun. 8)
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

Yeah, it's all getting a little quiet, lately. But like eMTe says, the only way to stop that is to start posting more!!
I used to waffle about my health a lot, but lately it's kinda settled into a groove, so it's not really worth me constantly saying "still unbalanced, they still don't know why, but otherwise I'm pretty much ok" every bloomin' day!!
.. I have little or no other events going on in my life, so. Um.. Yeah, not much to talk about, really.. I'm a very boring person.

Gaming recommendation : OUYA. Nice and cheap little device with more indie-freeware games than you can shake a stick at! (A fair number of IAP-based premium games, too, but all games have a free demo, at the very least.)
Drasir-Vel

Post by Drasir-Vel »

Sorry, i'm not complaining. I was referring to this thread http://cubeworldforum.org/topic/3923-cw ... ma-forums/. What i meant was, the way the title is worded makes you think that there would have been more activity here.
I'm the last person that would complain about inactivity since i'm not the best example of that myself.
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Activity is aggression.

There is nothing like meaafadfsfdfdfdsaningless spam.

War. War never ends. 8)
Pager
Winner of CWF review contest!

Post by Pager »

Cube World Forum...CWF...? Their call sign should be x^3WF. That would make so much more sense.
We can't do anything to our short form CWofF is goofy looking...ugh... :Wallbang:
CWF - Safer than Crack, Twice as Addicting
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

To ask child question. Child questions have always been the most interesting (translated: problematic) questions.

Why this forum died anyway?

I know why it didnt and unfortunately I know it <<Omega-number>> % sure. It didnt die neither because my of drunk posts, my interest in philosophy and name calling. These issues come worldwide. Thus, there's nothing wrong with me, nothing's wrong with webforums and nothing's wrong with freeware games. What's wrong then?

Can we start talking like we were talking in OG times or CWF early years? Anything changed? 8)

One of modern philosophers (you dont know him) coming from my city thinks that human can experience true freedom only when he will return to chimpanzee- or broadly speaking animal/unconscious state. Literacy equals unhappiness for various reasons. First, there were few (few understood as percentage of all living people) literate or educated people in the past and even if sources dont say whether Socrates, Bede or Descartes were unhappy or depressed, the later the times the more knowledge we have that people who stand above the mob are not happy. Now, partially thx to internet humanking slowly but steadily reaches global literacy state.

First thing to be aware of is that literacy and education were always a sign of advantage of one person over another. In egalitarian state where everyone is intelligent, literate and educated natural dychotomies disappear. Destroying the natural equilibrium between intelligentsia and mob is probably impossible, because culture is always weaker than nature, but this egalitarisation of knowledge will make its impact on society anyway. Most likely, what already happens, it will increase animalistic, rightist and aggressive tendencies. But aggression never makes human happy, after all the nature of aggression is that it seeks for relief. Relief can be found in peace, but peace cant be found in egalitarism. Ultimately, all those aggressive literate people will seek for help in return to illiteracy understood as surrender of goalless and depressing progress.

In other words, to be happy again as humankind, we should disavow evolution and think of actions that will keep us in safe semi-conscious stagnation similar to water cycle.

Internet webforums (and internet in general) will slowly die simply because users will more or less consciously step down from using it feeling what can happen.

Who loves life, doesn't read; like Houllebecq cleverly wrote in his essay on Lovecraft.
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

I love forums, but I barely use them anymore. I interact occasionally, but more often than not I tend to take a back seat.
Often times when I DO post to forums, I find myself inadvertantly spamming the site in question, or ranting on about myself because... once I start typing, it all starts flowing!!

I'm off to see my Physio Team again, this morning. Apparently there's going to be a "Gym" involved... I hope it's not, like, a proper Gym, because me and Gyms don't get along.. (Which is somewhat ironic given that I'm a James/Jim myself) Not exactly the perfect weather for getting out and about, but there'll be Taxies involved, so it shouldn't be too bad. At least we're not flooded in this part of the UK. Damn, this weather's really not good, at all..

Meanwhile, my latest creation Space Popcorn seems to be gaining a nice following over on OUYA, already. So strangely popular it was, that I actually found this YouTube video BEFORE I even mentioned the game's release on Twitter. WTF is that about!!?
Hmm..
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Well, that's what I'm afraid of (being afraid of sth doesnt automatically mean Im not involved in the process Im afraid of) - that webforums will evolve (if they didnt already) into shoutboxes and microblogs where people no longer care what another member has to say. There's probably a lot to read on subject; if this happens at all and if it does why does it happen and what will happen next.

My personal theory is that internet was (I say was, because I have this weird belief it's going to die slowly as means of communication) sort of temporary fashion, not much different from clothes or music fashion. Once it will become obvious for everybody that most people dont have anything interesting to share or are inherently stupid and not worthy of meeting live or not everyone in the world is interested in what they want to say people (even young) will return to their local community based lives and rediscover such weird concepts as gardens, neighbours, children, clouds, trees and pigeons. Especially pigeons.

To sound true (maybe cruel, but that's how it is), I dont read your dev ramblings, jay, because of third reason.
Drasir-Vel

Post by Drasir-Vel »

I also think it depends on how much you know a person. If you know someone well, then you will automatically be more interested in what they say.

I do read everything posted on this forum, or at least skim depending on how much i have to read through.
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Well, I hope you don't read my poems. :arrow:
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

I have no issues with people not reading my ramblings. For the most part, I don't even bother posting most of that stuff onto my own site!! It's not what people want to read. But I like to spout ramblings somewhere, and this forum has a nice sort of vibe, so .. I might as well plonk my stuff here!! If nothing else, maybe some day an archeologist will dig up the CWF server, and discover long lost forgotten gems like "why does the Android break that!!?" and "Grrr, that worked fine, yesterday!!!"
Hopefully they'll think we had robots back in the early 21st century, and it'll stump them for a while.

A forum is a more permanent thing than a tumblr or wordpress blog, and definitely more encapsulating than a Twitter or Facebook feed.. It's a shame that less people are using them, now, but that's just another way this wonderful webbed world is evolving.
*sigh*
I'm getting old...
Pager

Post by Pager »

we're all getting old, its a fact of life. I don't even own a cell phone because I resent the people that do nothing but sit on their cell phones...as far as I'm concerned I'm about one grey hair short of a rocking chair on the front porch yelling at the neighbourhood hooligans.

I read almost everything that is posted (even the dev ramblings), unless I miss a month and just read the last few posts to get the jest of it.

I agree Jay, in fact it reminds me that my doctor went on a rant a few months back, basically saying and I quote, "it is getting to the point when you can't even squeeze a fart or take a s*** without someone knowing what you are up to..."

Anyway back to the question...why did the forum die? I'm not sure. I joined the OG game late in it's lifecycle, and in the second revival was just on it to try and beat eMTe on the arcade games (still the master at drunken Donkey Kong, I bow to thee) as most of the members had flocked elsewhere. But that is just it, I don't think it was the lack of posts and thoughts and everything that was going on, its just one of those tragic things that happens.
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Maybe it's global anhedonia?
Pater Alf
The Steel Spine of GameHunters

Post by Pater Alf »

Maybe it's real life?
[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]
Pager

Post by Pager »

A little column A, a little column B, and a splash of other.
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

On another note, Im eating dinner and watching curling in Sochi (there are Olympic games if you havent noticed ^^). It's probably the 6th time Im watching curling at all and I still dont grasp even basics of rules. Neither I care to read them. Still, it's surprisingly relaxing to watch, like listening to radio on the beach or something.