The little Inn by the wayside

Here you can talk about anything (that isn't related to the other forums).

Moderator: Crew

Pater Alf
The Steel Spine of GameHunters

Re: The little Inn by the wayside

Post by Pater Alf »

I should move to Denmark. Shouldn't be too hard, it isn't far away... :D
[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]
Pager
Winner of CWF review contest!

Post by Pager »

According to this I should be moving to Sweden.
I have a feeling my wife might have something to say about this...wonder how she'd fare with this test... :lol:

And the survey says...my wife is moving to Greece!
CWF - Safer than Crack, Twice as Addicting
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Ah, so answers different from Norway, Denmark and Sweden are possible. I thought that the test is cheated. Is it possible, according to it, to move, for example to Tuvalu or Malawi?

I wonder if the member who we all wish HAPPY BIRTHDAY today would want to spend the day somewhere over there? Or in Kiribati for example? Unless he's already there, since he mentioned something about being away. :D

:Party2:
"As you have noticed over the years, we are not angry people." (itebygur)
Tormuse
Warhero

Post by Tormuse »

My result was Iceland. I hear the weather is nice there. :D

Hi everyone! I'm still aroundish, mostly lurking. :) School and work are stressful, but I'm surviving.

Someone's birthday? Well, it can't be mine, because mine was last week, but Happy Birthday to whoever it is! ;)
[size=84]"A Canadian is someone who knows how to make love in a canoe."
Pierre Burton[/size]
Pater Alf
The Steel Spine of GameHunters

Post by Pater Alf »

Oh, I missed the birthday of the member who loves to celebrate it???

Here's another birthday party for you: :Birthday: :Cheers: :shots: :balloon: :TGIF: :bananaparty: :bananaparty2: :cake: :tease:
[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

We should celebrate birthday each day (just in case and with a help of bot) or simply announce an all-year celebration, this way nobody will be forgotten.
Pager

Post by Pager »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!
Thought I would throw that in to he that likes to celebrate as well. Even though I am off by a day...methinks anyway...
:hammer: :Clap: :hammer:
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Anybody else? :mrgreen:
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

Chroelle wrote:Its the only Lenovo Horizon 27" table PC/Tablet in the country and I got permission to loan it for a few days, and use it at work (and at home with Anna and Tanja). GREAT FUN! Have to say bye-bye to it today with a massive computer/minecraft/Horizon day at work where all the kids (and I) have a blast! Gotta love my job on days like this!
So, did that Horizon have DrawRace 2 on it? We've had one of those things for a while as well... =)

I haven't tried it myself, but I would imagine some of the games like Air Hockey might be a blast with it.
Do you has what it takes to join the Homestarmy? The guts? The determination? The five bucks? Join today!
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Drawrace was on it as well, but that didn't catch my interest vey much - perhaps because it didn't seem so multiplayer friendly as the other games I played on it. I wonder who the person with a love for celebrating b-days is? Scythe?

Tried the test you linked eMTe, and to no surprise, it believed I should move to Denmark... :) Though I was a little baffled by a few questions...The one about having homosexuals as neighbours seemed to be a double negation - would you not live next to these guys - no/yes...WTF? Where is the DONT CARE option? Or at least the one that means that it would be ok for me to live with gay neighbours? Also I was thrown by the term National Pride. Do they mean as opposed to not being proud of my country and feeling a connection to it, or am I part neonazi if I say yes... Made me think.
Anyway: Welcome to Scandinavia everyone. The beer is expensive in most of the countries, but the women are hot! :)
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

As for gay neighbours I would recommend everybody living with gays as flatmates, residents (or how is it called in E.), not only as neighbours.

Beer... Alcohol should be banned.
Railwaymodeler
Legend

Post by Railwaymodeler »

Have not been online much recently. Home phone is set up at the new place, but internet won't be until the 21st. Phone company said there was a 3+ week backlog in Wisconsin and parts of Ohio. Wisconsin probably being from the exodus of people from Illinois. They were able to move up setting up the house phone because I told them with my health conditions I need it for emergencies. Maria has a cell phone, but does not use it much.

So far we are enjoying it up here. After being the go-to guy when problems at Pace start, it is nice to be able to sit back and not worry about those things. Being relatively obscure is nice. Plus when we've taken rides on the trolley cars they have downtown, it's nice to be just another passenger for a change.

Working at the hobby shop now. The owner has let me use part of the shop for computer work, the idea being that I can then staff the shop when he is away with doctor appointments and things like that.

Great to finally have a relatively "normal" life for a change. Skoda and our cat both also seem much happier here. Maria and I have been discussing maybe only using the house we are buying further north as a vacation house for weekends, and staying here in Kenosha.
Without trains America Stops- Support Amtrak

Old trains never die. They just sit in ruin and wait until the day they are taken in by a skilled craftsman and rebuilt to their former glory.
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Speaking of peace and normality, our friend from work recently landed in psych ward.

It wasnt all that unexpected. First, he is/was schizophrenic. He had two episodes in the past and was brought to relatively stable life with the help of his family and heavy (and damn expensive) drugs. Second, he was drinking heavily, in last months. It doesnt take Einstein to conclude that both events are linked.

What is interesting that this event worked sorta like catalysis. It spawned a week of another weird and groundbreaking events, that even my drunk writing appears to be a childish tale in comparison.

There was this fine Polish novel called "With Fire and Sword" which starts with below words:

"The year 1647 was that wonderful year in which manifold signs in the heavens and on the earth announced misfortunes of some kind and unusual events."

I get this tingling feeling that we're no longer counting years, but seasons. Or maybe weeks.

But as you said, Raillo, humans are adaptable. 8)
Railwaymodeler
Legend

Post by Railwaymodeler »

Have Internet at home now, and things have been very peaceful lately. Maria and Skoda are much happier here in Wisconsin, as am I. We're settling in quite nicely. I spend much of the day at the hobby shop helping Bob, the owner, with customers, and I have part of his shop for my computer work too now. So far this has benefitted both of us quite well.

We've made a couple friends at Kenosha Transit, one of them knows the background of what happened at Pace, and who we were through all of it. He knew about the mess at Pace beforehand, he has a relative that works in Waukegan. Apart from him, we haven't told anyone about our involvement with Pace, the lawsuits, or anything. We like it better that way. When Skoda is older, it will be better for her. We want her to know, understand, and appreiciate the value of hard work and intergrity. We've set aside money for her future in savings accounts, but we still want her to grow up to be a respectable person. I went to high school in Lake Forest, a rich part of the state. We lived in Lake Bluff when I was a teenager, which is a slightly lower-rent version of Lake Forest, and at that, a subdivision called Knollwood, which is a nice, but more affordable, part of Lake Bluff. Dad made good money, and still does, and also used some of his inheritance from his dad - my grandpa - to buy a nice house.

Going to school with the rich kids, Lake Forest has estates of the Armour and Swift families (Meat packing business), Mr. T. had a house there, and Michael Jordan lived nearby (Though I hear his house is up for sale now). I hated the rich kid mentality, kids who got a fancy sports car for their 16th birthday and promptly crashed it. Kids who acted irresponsibly, but mommy and daddy's money got 'em out of trouble each time. Snobs. I shudder to think of Skoda growing up like them.

After all, it was through hard work, dedication, and much suffering, that we have what we do, both Maria and I, and none of us will ever forget that!

Old trains never die. They just sit in ruin and wait until the day they are taken in by a skilled craftsman and rebuilt to their former glory.
Pager

Post by Pager »

As long as you raise your daughter with good morals and values, and let her know to treat everyone with respect you would never have her grow up to be someone who can just buy anything. I can't stand the self-important youth of today, every now and then one surprises you, but for the one there are 5 you just think that you wouldn't mind serving a few months in jail for smacking the stupid off of them.
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

We've always been a poor family, and the way that both me and my younger sister appreciate the ideals of hard work, and actually earning your money seems somewhat strange in our era of Quick-Cash and .. pretty much scamming everyone around.
I can't stand that mentality.

Even, sat here, in my current "disabled" situation, I feel kind of rotten having to take money from the government. I guess I'd feel a little more at ease with my current situation if all of those Brain-Ops had actually left me with some sort of serious mental issues! As it is, my mind's perfectly healthy, but the rest of me is all kinds of broken, which is messed up! I can think it, I just can't do it.

As for my older sister, she married into a rich family and we barely ever hear from her anymore. .. except on Facebook.. :\
Railwaymodeler
Legend

Post by Railwaymodeler »

Yeah, Pager, the mentality of kids now really sickens me. I expect in another decade or so it will be much worse too.

Technically, I am disabled too Jay. Between my seizure condition, and all sorts of ailments with my back, knee, and right shoulder, there's days that doing much of anything is painful. That's also why I like to keep busy, takes the mind off pain. In a lot of pain tonight, can't sleep because of it. Pain meds make me tired, but I still hurt too bad to actually sleep, which is a terrible feeling.

Pager

Post by Pager »

As I said before jayenkai, you are in the exact situation that those government regulations were designed the be in place for. People that want to do more but just can't do it, and just need a shoulder to hang onto for a while. My brother-in-law recently lost his job, and the people he is living with don't work either, but as he said to me he has $120 to live off of for the next 2 months, he has no problem going to the food bank because he needs it, but the people he lives with would rather starve.

It is the people that don't want to do more because they can claim those benefits that annoy me. Or even worse, the people that have money that some how find a loophole in the system so they get benefits back that are designed to help those who need it. I had a friend who worked at the food bank and he said, people would pull up to the door in BMWs, wearing $2000 suits and just help themselves.
Railwaymodeler
Legend

Post by Railwaymodeler »

That brings up another serious problem with America's welfare system. The system is designed to keep you on it. Years ago, I had to be on Social Security, because my seizure meds were thousands of dollars a month, and with a newly developed back problem, I was unable to work or afford insurance. The way Social Security is structured, you can't easily go off it, and if you do, it is near impossible to go back on it again. See, the people who truly need it are trapped. People who are injured or unable to work for an extended period of time. If they find work, they lose their benefits. But in many cases, they go back to work, but still need some benefits for insurance, and the kinds of jobs a disabled person can do pay poorly. In some circumstances, a person with a disability can legally be paid less than a non-disabled person, for the same work. Usually it is if an employer claims they encountered expensed "accomodating" the disabled person. It's a system designed that once you're on it, you depend on it, and therefore depend on your government. This is a popular tool in elections. Candidates often promise a raise in Social Security, or other benefits, or claim their opponent will reduce or elimiate benefits.

To me, it is a form of modern day slavery, because at that point, a person is at the will and mercy of their elected officials.

Obviously, I no longer need those benefits, and was able to keep just health coverage. The reason was that the doctors I see, governemnt insurance is the only one that all of them accept. Plus some kinds of government insurance (It's either medicaid or medicare, I forget which is which), don't depend on income or assets. That brings me to Pager's second paragraph. While Maria and I are rich in assets, monthly income is technically low. As we aren't legally married yet (In our hearts, yes. On paper, no), all I would have to do is put my part of the lawsuit winnings in an account with only her name on it, and I would be able to claim low income and no assets. That is a very big loophole, and open to abuse by conmen who trick people into schemes like that.

eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

I am watching the match between Iceland and Croatia broadcasted by Chinese tv. Or Japanese. Anyway, far western. This was the only pirated transmission I could find. Can internet be more cosmopolitan? ^^