The little Inn by the wayside

Here you can talk about anything (that isn't related to the other forums).

Moderator: Crew

Tormuse
Warhero

Re: The little Inn by the wayside

Post by Tormuse »

Happy Belated Birthday to Maria! :)

Hi all, I hope everyone is doing well. I'm coming out of lurking to say that my barbershop chorus, the Toronto Northern Lights, is preparing for the annual international barbershop competition in July. It's held in a different city each year, usually in the States, and this year, it's going to be in my hometown of Toronto!

In honour of the occasion, we made this promotional video! :D (You can see me, briefly, in the background of a couple of the shots)

If you're confused by the video, I should explain that it's a parody of a video released by another chorus in the competition. Hopefully, with this context, it's even funnier. :)
[size=84]"A Canadian is someone who knows how to make love in a canoe."
Pierre Burton[/size]
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

LOL!
Fair enough ;)
Pater Alf
The Steel Spine of GameHunters

Post by Pater Alf »

Am I the only one who no longer gets mail notifications when there are new posts?
[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]
Tormuse
Warhero

Post by Tormuse »

I've never received notifications; I just drop by from time to time... and lurk. :P
Pierre Burton[/size]
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

Pater Alf wrote:Am I the only one who no longer gets mail notifications when there are new posts?
Strange, probably Surftown has changed some server settings or something...
Do you has what it takes to join the Homestarmy? The guts? The determination? The five bucks? Join today!
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

Yeah, I stopped getting them about a month ago.. Keep visiting, people!!!
Tormuse
Warhero

Post by Tormuse »

jayenkai wrote:Keep visiting, people!!!
Unfortunately, the people who most need to see that message won't receive notification about it. :P

Right now, I'm on my way downtown for the international barbershop music convention. I've been going to these things for 11 years now, but never in my home city. This is going to be surreal! :o
Pierre Burton[/size]
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

Hmm... I just mass e-mailed myself from phpbb's admin section and that came through. No idea where the emails are getting lost.
Do you has what it takes to join the Homestarmy? The guts? The determination? The five bucks? Join today!
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

I just got two emails... ... It's trying to fool us all!!!
Tormuse
Warhero

Post by Tormuse »

I'm performing in the barbershop competition tonight. Don't wish me luck, because that's bad luck! :D
Pierre Burton[/size]
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

jayenkai wrote:Keep visiting, people!!!
Don't worry, I'm not planning to leave. unfortunately I don't have as much free time as I had some months ago. Also my gaming focus changed from freeware games to commercial games again (blame GOG and some of the indie bundles for that), so I don't write so much in the freeware section anymore. But I hope to become more active again.

With just a few active members left and hardly any game hunters, maybe we should discuss how to change the rules to still make it possible to add games to the database?
[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

Sounds like a plan, but don't do anything that's too open.

I like that the official database is a nicely curated collection, as opposed to anything-goes.
The worst that could happen, IMO, is to end up with a database where anyone can throw any old junk into the thing. Hell, imagine if I could simply fling AGameAWeek on here.. You'd end up with the site being rebranded "Curly's World of Utter Crap" within just a couple of months!!
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

Yes, you are right. A database were everybody could upload everything, wouldn't be good. Was thinking more about the possibility that crew members could say which game they want to add and if nobody gives a veto within 10 days it can be added. Would probably still stay a hand-picked quality database that way, but we could skip the validation process that needs at least three game hunters that played and rated each game.
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

Aye, that sounds more Curly!
Tormuse
Warhero

Post by Tormuse »

I'm afraid I'm too ignorant of the current CWF process for acquiring games to comment. :P

In other news, the barbershop convention is over now. I've been saying for years that the barbershop competition isn't all about the medals and I still stand by that, but that being said... We won! We won! Wheeee! Hahahahaha! :D I still can't believe it happened! It was a fun and exhilerating experience and I'm not exactly looking forward to returning to "real life" after that. ;)
Pierre Burton[/size]
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

\o/ Congrats :D
Tormuse
Warhero

Post by Tormuse »

Thank you! WOO! :D
Pierre Burton[/size]
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

Congratulations, Tormuse!

I really feel great today. Had a a fun day with lots of sportive activities. Did 30km cycling, 2 hours diving and 13km running. :bike: :marathon: Image
Think I deserve a weekend beer now. :Cheers:
Scythe
Winner of CWF review contest!

Post by Scythe »

Pater Alf wrote:Yes, you are right. A database were everybody could upload everything, wouldn't be good. Was thinking more about the possibility that crew members could say which game they want to add and if nobody gives a veto within 10 days it can be added. Would probably still stay a hand-picked quality database that way, but we could skip the validation process that needs at least three game hunters that played and rated each game.
I don't even have an opinion any longer. I know we don't all have the same standards for "quality", but any new additions ought to be better than none.
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

Blasphemy!!!!