The little Inn by the wayside

Here you can talk about anything (that isn't related to the other forums).

Moderator: Crew

jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Re: The little Inn by the wayside

Post by jayenkai »

Not Playing...

I'm not sure why, but since all of last year's stuff, and all my new found free time, I expected to spend a lot of time playing games.

I haven't.

I'm slightly troubled by this.
I seem to have lost my gaming spirit.
Not sure where it's gone.

I've eleven really been that much of a gamer. I can usually get about midway through a game before things get too dull for me to bother carrying on. There's very few games that I've ever bothered to finish. Sonics 1,2,3&K, Mario 64, Half Life 2, um...
Probably more.. Can't think..
But those stick out in my mind as "Games that kept me playing"
Other than those, I play much like I write. Short sweet bursts.
The WarioWare collections of games are fantastic for my gamers-ADD!

But now, I'm in a lull, and I'm not sure why.
Before Xmas I bought myself a Pokemon game, in the hopes that it'd help dig me out of my none-gaming feeling. Didn't happen. I think I've probably played about three hours worth of it, at the most.
For Xmas, I received Super Paper Mario Sticker Star for 3DS. ... And played about 10 minutes of it on Xmas day.
My 3DS has been switched off ever since.

*sigh*

I'm not sure what's up with me. Maybe I've gotten too old for this gaming malarkey?
Railwaymodeler
Legend

Post by Railwaymodeler »

I can relate. I go through spurts with games and even with model railroading too, where I will be very active in a certain game for a few weeks, then put it down for a while. With my model railroading, I'll have a week or two of nothing but scenery work, then a week or two with a focus of freight car repair, then a few weeks of locomotive servicing, and so on. Whatever tickles my fancy at that particular time to work on.

I am playing a lot of OpenTTD recently, but spent a few weeks on A-Train (Old Maxis game, ran through DOS Box).
Without trains America Stops- Support Amtrak

Old trains never die. They just sit in ruin and wait until the day they are taken in by a skilled craftsman and rebuilt to their former glory.
Pater Alf
The Steel Spine of GameHunters

Post by Pater Alf »

I have some other gaming approach for some years now. When I was young, I played games for a while and when I found something more interesting, I went on to the next game. But now, once I start a game, I want to see the end and normally I keep playing till I reach it. Just in a very few cases I get bored and give up, before completing it (e.g. "Fallout" which everyone loves, but I consider extremely boring and full of dubious design choices).

Complete different topic: Ran my first half-marathon of the season today and ended up with a time of 1:40:22. Not bad considering the long winter I think. :marathon:
[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

The forum is quite dead at the moment. :(

Where is everybody???
[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

Pater Alf wrote:The forum is quite dead at the moment. :(

Where is everybody???
The winter is over. Everyone is outside. Where it's fun. :D
Do you has what it takes to join the Homestarmy? The guts? The determination? The five bucks? Join today!
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

Not everyone's outside!
Some of us are inside with our nice new 42" LCD 3D TV that arrived on Thursday!
Mmmmmmm... Big HD loveliness.

It came with 4 pairs of 3D glasses, too, so all three of us, and the cat, can all watch the 3D things together!
We don't have any 3D things...
We don't have any HD things, either, though, so that's not too much of a problem!

I've hooked up the X360 to the thing, and .. Um..
I played about ten minutes of Pacman, and could barely hear the game for the sound of the sodding Xbox's MEGAFAN blaring away, and the game was uncontrollable due to the horrible nasty DPad on the X360 controller.
Not a pleasant experience.
Then I downloaded the YouTube app for it, and was horrified to find that, in order to actually USE the YouTube app, where everything has to be typed in using a crappy controller, and it's impossible to actually use it in a fun way, you have to actually PAY for an Xbox Gold account!!?
... Are they taking the smeg!?!

.. So, yeah, that wasn't a fun half hour, I can tell you..

I think I'm going to fork out for one of those little Apple TV doohickeys, next. Should prove more usable than the Xbox, and god knows it'll be quieter!!
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

jayenkai wrote:I think I'm going to fork out for one of those little Apple TV doohickeys, next. Should prove more usable than the Xbox, and god knows it'll be quieter!!
Unless you're looking for the iTunes/Airtunes thingie, take a look at WD TV Live, I likes it.
Do you has what it takes to join the Homestarmy? The guts? The determination? The five bucks? Join today!
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

Already have been.
In fact, I was pretty adamant that I was going to buy the WD Live. It's marginally cheaper, and no doubt does many more codecs than the Apple TV.

...Then @Sobtanian posted this picture which made me realise just how much fun I could have with the AirPlay stuff, and all the codec thoughts went right out the window!

The fact that both me and my Mum sit here with iPhings strapped to our hands all day, probably helps sway things in that direction, too!
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

Zyx wrote:

Where is everybody???
The winter is over. Everyone is outside. Where it's fun. :D
Hmm, outside??? Must be one of these weird real life concepts... :weirdo:
Scythe
Winner of CWF review contest!

Post by Scythe »

I blame somebody else, because I never take responsibility.
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

On a planet without nights and winters internet would have never been invented.
"As you have noticed over the years, we are not angry people." (itebygur)
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

Yes it would. I code through any weather!!

It'd not have animated GIFs, or videos, or CSS, or anything nice like that.
It'd probably look a lot like AmigaGuide documents, instead, and have little/no interactivity.
..but it'd be there!
I'd need to waffle about AGameAWeek somehow!!

.. So I finished watching Season 4 of Breaking Bad, last night. Whoops! That show went all too quickly!
Started watching episode 3 of season 4... Then the cliffhanger made me do that "oh, go on then" thing, and.. Then the next.. And the next.. And then it was 6:30am, and I'd watched the whole darn lot!

D'oh!

Not sure what to watch next, to be honest.

In health matters, I'm having a particularly good week, and have managed four good days in a row without being sick, which is fantastic! I think I'm on the road to a full recovery! Hurray!! I might be able to get back out there, and do some shopping on my own :D
Scythe
Winner of CWF review contest!

Post by Scythe »

Where is everybody???
Hmm, I think what we're doing is making sure Chroelle doesn't have as many posts to catch up on?

Or maybe his absence signals the end of all there is?
Railwaymodeler
Legend

Post by Railwaymodeler »

Or that he has nice weather in his area. Something we finally at long last seem to have here.

Nice enough that we took Skoda to the park today to play. Packed a few sandwiches, some orange juice, and had a nice day right until the gangbanger punks came around started beating up small children. No clue why, probably some gang initiation or something.

They didn't even have a chance to attack Skoda. I got up, told the punks they got three seconds to get out of here. Of course they start mouthing off, right until one got a right-hand fist right to his jaw. Despite everything, I can still fight when need be, and if someone presents themselves as a threat to me or my family, then there will be swift action taken.

Police arrested all three of them, go figure all three had outstanding arrest warrants.

Three scumbags off the street at least.

Old trains never die. They just sit in ruin and wait until the day they are taken in by a skilled craftsman and rebuilt to their former glory.
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

Dang! Even your lazy days in the sun are more interesting than most of my life!!

Today it was sunny.
I sat in the garden and played WordsWithFriends on my iPad for a bit.
Nothing eventful happened, at all!!
Railwaymodeler
Legend

Post by Railwaymodeler »

From what the police have told me, indeed these punks attacking children was part of a gang initiation system. Brilliant. Prove how tough they are by attacking small children.

Ever think to yourself that you wish you could repartition and format the hard drive of humanity?

eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Scythe wrote:Hmm, I think what we're doing is making sure Chroelle doesn't have as many posts to catch up on?

Or maybe his absence signals the end of all there is?
I don't believe in any beginnings and ends. If things are slow at the moment or even dead at some fields (site) it just means that CWF is in the trough point of its history. Remember that we have created a great repository of freeware games and it counts. Also, and it is already proven by the creator of Death Worm who has found an old version of his game thanks to our site, activity is not the only thing that counts, what you did in the past counts too.

Also, expect the unexpected (or expected, at least I expect everything, just in case). After the period of eMTe's drunk philosophy, Facebook and climate changes you may as well experience the period of sudden "hellos" from Darklord, Dizi, mistergreen, Baldie, Chillum, FFreak.

Btw, Parvini posted something on these boards not so long ago. Wasn't I the only person who cared to reply? :wink:
"As you have noticed over the years, we are not angry people." (itebygur)
Railwaymodeler
Legend

Post by Railwaymodeler »

I never even noticed! Hoping another oldtimer from way back has made his way back here again!

Dizi
Legend

Post by Dizi »

eMTe wrote:... period of sudden "hellos" from Darklord, Dizi ...
Hello :lol:
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

\o Hello!