The little Inn by the wayside

Here you can talk about anything (that isn't related to the other forums).

Moderator: Crew

jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Re: The little Inn by the wayside

Post by jayenkai »

I made it!!! \o/yeay\o/
(He says, hoping things don't go horribly wrong, overnight!!)
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Phew... I just read up on 3 pages of Inn posts. I am so horribly behind on reading up... 155 posts to be exact.
I try to read some when I stop by, but since it is more and more obvious to me that visits are kept to around once a week,I tend to fall behind every week.

At least I finally got around to changing into some more comfortable clothes (my old avatar instead of my x-mas one.)

To comment on missing the birthday - I was horribly embarrased because should have this in my phone-calendar but I didn't.

And yes, CWF was started as a lifeboat for those that wanted to keep in touch when OG was closing down - which it then didn't really do, but still...
I have to say that I tend to keep around for the company more than the games too... :)
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

Taking half a day off, today. Having my first proper migraine in a long while. For the past few months, I've not really been feeling the migraines, but today's different. It's a doozy, and it's gotten so bad that I've actually had to put the laptop away!

Hopefully it doesn't last too long. I've got things that need doing!
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

My mother suffered from migraines. Afaik migraine mechanism is not fully understood, yet they are known to accompany certain other, not necessarily head- or brain-related disorders. In my mother's case it was heavy hypochondria. Later - bone marrow disease. At least I tend to think that it wasn't a coincidence.

I hope things go well for you.
"As you have noticed over the years, we are not angry people." (itebygur)
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

Migraine came, Migraine went. Happens all the time.
I've always suffered from Migraines.
My first memory of a Migraine is coming home from school at age 5, screaming my head off, being sick in the kitchen, and being watched over all night by mum and dad.
There were scans and things, but as with all Migraine sufferers, nothing ever really showed up, so.. Migraines it is..
And that's pretty much how it's been ever since. ... Which is probably why my brain tumour went undiagnosed for so long. Every time my head hurt.. "Oooh, it's just another Migraine", and it went pretty much ignored.
Not to turn everyone into hypochondriacs, but watch out for those symptoms you're used to! They can suddenly jump out and get you, when you least expect it!!
If my Blood Pressure hadn't have been sky-high, they never would've taken me in the ambulance and done the initial CT scan, which ultimately found the tumour... Kinda glad I had high blood pressure!!
..hmm.. That's almost an entire year ago, now. :\ Crikey, what a year!!

[edit]IT'S MY CWF-SIGNUP-DAY! \o/yeay\o/[/edit]
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

Migraine again.
hmmm..
When I first went in, last March, they put me on a laxative tablet. "Less Strain = Less Pressure on your head" was the reasoning! Fair enough, whatever. This week, I decided it was probably time to stop taking them.
..since then I've had a really rough week, being sick a lot, and having lots of headachyness.
I think I might have to go back on them again!
Maybe withdrawals after having been on them for so long, but I'm not sure.
Curious..
I expected this when I dropped the Anti-Sickness tablets, NOT the laxatives!!

. I could really do with a shave, but haven't felt up to it, all week. Being ill is making me really lazy. :\
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Being lazy is making me really lazy. :)

Well - this last week has been hell - sorry but its kiddo talk.
Molly learned how to get our of her crib/bed, which she now does every 3 minutes from 19.30 to 0.30... So I get absolutely no resting time - That means sleeping on a mattress in her room, until 2-3 at night and then crawling back up to my own bed, hoping to go the rest of the night without hearing from her -not always how things work out. Sometimes I am so lucky that Anna has had a nightmare and crawled into my side of the bed, so when I go up to get some rest, I have my very own 15 cms of bed to rest on. [HUGELY SARCASTIC MODE] YEAH! [/HUGELY SARCASTIC MODE]
Sometimes you just wantsell your kids - sometimes you might even try to bribe someone to take them... But as long as grandparents are the only ones that will take that bribe, then I am shit out of luck, cause my kids are not their only grandkids, and they dont want to have kids over all the time, and especially not overnight - and - it seems - particularly not overnight, when they are not sleeping. Grandparents are very odd people.
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain
Railwaymodeler
Legend

Post by Railwaymodeler »

C, I'm starting to see what you mean. Skoda has been fussy lately, and neither Maria nor I are getting as much sleep as we need.

Every night, we try to run her down, wear her out, so that she sleeps at least most of the night. Every night we are mostly unsuccessful except for wearing ourselves down.

And you know what? Despite all the complaining, I wouldn't trade it for anything!

Way we have it figured, only about 17 more years like this. Might be a bit peaceful starting in about seven years, then five more years after that, we won't get any peace at all. At that point, she will be a teenager. At least with this money, I could actually build that armed fortress designed to keep teenage boys away! Even if a boy makes it through the moat with piranahs, electric eels, and gators, and through the quarter-mile long minefield, and somehow through the wooded ring around the house filled with hungry lion, and despite air-to-ground missile planes, if he does get to the front door, he would have to deal with ME!
Without trains America Stops- Support Amtrak

Old trains never die. They just sit in ruin and wait until the day they are taken in by a skilled craftsman and rebuilt to their former glory.
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

Most I have to deal with is a grumpy cat.
We got Molly (sorry!) from a rescue center in May. Her previous owners had to get rid because their new baby was allergic to the cat.. .. Or, that's what we were told. We now believe they got rid of her, because she's a bloody miserable git!!
She sleep, eats, and runs and hides if you dare go near her. Ten Months later, and still no cat-cuddles!
She avoids all human contact.
Bloody useless cat! What's the point!!?
Railwaymodeler
Legend

Post by Railwaymodeler »

My Loki was much the same way when I got her. The shelter I got her from knew a bit about her past, that she was owned by an abusive cat hoarder, and was brought to the shelter by Animal Control. Beyond that, they were unsure of the exact abuse she endured.

She warmed up to me over the course of a year, and she eventually became very comfortable with Maria too. Then when Skoda was born, she somehow gravitated to her. Loki and Skoda are like best friends.

Strange beings, those cats!

Old trains never die. They just sit in ruin and wait until the day they are taken in by a skilled craftsman and rebuilt to their former glory.
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

I had my first cat encounter couple weeks ago, when a colleague at work asked me to feed his cat while he was on a business trip. The little monster came straight for me and started rubbing herself against me. I was an instant favorite.

The reason this was my first time with a cat is because I'm somewhat allergic to them. So, maybe the cat planning to murder me.
Do you has what it takes to join the Homestarmy? The guts? The determination? The five bucks? Join today!
Railwaymodeler
Legend

Post by Railwaymodeler »

I doubt it. I had read online here that part of the reason cats come to the people allergic to them, is because trying to be unnoticed by the cat seems to attract them.

Cats are indeed a funny species!

eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

My granma always claimed she is allergic to cats (doubtful, but it's another story), however our cat Waffles (named after Goofy's cat from Disney cartoons) choose her as his daily sleeping couch, exclusively.

Simple explanation is that she was at home all the time, feeding him, so he associated her with the direct source of food. Further proof is that when my mother was returning from work he jumped on her like a dog, because she simply loved him and ALWAYS had something tasty for him. Not only Whiskas, but also some bonuses.
Railwaymodeler
Legend

Post by Railwaymodeler »

That makes sense too. Friend of mine has a dog, who I often bring a treat for. Now he thinks that every time he sees me, he will get a treat, and he is usually not wrong.

On the subject of cats: I keep finding it funny how the kids song "The Cat Came Back" fits the events at Pace. Someone going to insane lengths to get rid of someone, which always, without fail, backfire, and the cat keeps coming back, and wins in the end.

Better still for me, is that usually wearing a fedora, I picked up the nickname "The cat in the hat", which ties in well with the song!

Tormuse
Warhero

Post by Tormuse »

Railwaymodeler wrote:I doubt it. I had read online here that part of the reason cats come to the people allergic to them, is because trying to be unnoticed by the cat seems to attract them.

Cats are indeed a funny species!
Funny, I've heard the same thing of dogs. I guess it must be some instinctive thing; as your article says, eye contact is seen as a threat, so the cat (or dog?) will go to whoever is avoiding eye contact.
[size=84]"A Canadian is someone who knows how to make love in a canoe."
Pierre Burton[/size]
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

I was once in the same room with Caucasian Shepherd and for half an hour which felt like eternity I tried to act like a piece of furniture.
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

I'm no good with dogs.
I'm scared of dogs!
I was bitten as a child, and I've never gotten over it.
*shrugs*
I can typically manage to avoid dogs in most situations, but annoyingly other family members love dogs. My elder sister now owns a dog, so.. well, that's her house out of bounds!! Haven't visited her since she got it.
It's only been about a year, though, and I've pretty much been housebound the entire time, so I don't think she's noticed my sudden aversion!
.. My Nan, on the other hand, has had a dog for about 5 years now.
I used to be able to use the excuse of "Sorry, I'm working", but I'm not sure that'll work in future.
Maybe I should just be blunt with them all, and tell them straight. "Nope.. You've got a dog!"
Scythe
Winner of CWF review contest!

Post by Scythe »

I'm good with all animals. Animals sometimes like me so much they chew on me for extended periods of time. I calmed down a bear once by talking soothingly to it. Or maybe it was a really big dog, I'm not sure. I once petted a lion. Though it might have been tranquilized and toothless. Stray cats follow me home. That might be the fish in my pockets.

But I'm good with animals.
Railwaymodeler
Legend

Post by Railwaymodeler »

Cats seem to gravitate to my sister. She lives at dad's house for now until she gets some of her student loans from college paid off. There was a neighborhood stray cat she would feed, and eventually this stray had a litter of kittens under the front porch. So my sister took the mother cat and all the kittens in, and took them to the vet. They were cleaned up, she had them all spayed and neutered, and found homes for all of them. One of the kittens she kept, though.

Then this past summer, there was a steady stream of apparent stray cats coming to her. Eventually she found they were escapes from a cat hoarder a few blocks away. One by one all these cats (The woman had a small house with about a hundred cats inside, the police later found) were escaping and heading to my sister. No one is sure why, or how the cats figured out why to go to her, but all the cats were taken in, given care, and taken to a veterenarian to be given their shots and spayed or neutered if not done already.

I used to joke that she was running an animal shelter, and this seemed close to the truth!

I helped her find homes for some too. Generally, when someone got a cat from her, she kept track of how much the vet bills were, and usually asked for $20 - $40 on top of that, so at least she made a little money doing all this!

jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

Awww :)