The little Inn by the wayside

Here you can talk about anything (that isn't related to the other forums).

Moderator: Crew

jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Re: The little Inn by the wayside

Post by jayenkai »

Whoops has a h in it.
[/EvilGrammarNazi]
Pater Alf
The Steel Spine of GameHunters

Post by Pater Alf »

jayenkai wrote: So, using the all new framework, I quickly bodged together a rubbish little test game which is nothing magical whatsoever, but is at least something to keep my site active!!! Hey, no one said AGameAWeek had to be GOOD games!!
The test game features a half complete framework, and a whole bunch of missing features.
I have a lot more work to do before I can call it a full framework, but it's nice that I can at least release a little test game.
More to come.
.. Haven't worked out any Android stuff yet, sorry, still learning!!!
Some things about your test game:
- From time to time the game freezes for some seconds (Windows 7, Firefox 18.0.1)
- From time to time there are sudden changes of direction (you press left, but the cursor moves right). It always happens in the upper section of the circle.
- On hard mode the game was over when I reached about 4000 points. No more enemies appeared.
[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

Ta ;)

Freezing is a HTML5 issue. Can't stand how many issues HTML5 has! You'd think they'd've fixed all this by now, but NO!!.. *sigh* stupid HTML5!
Once I get proper .exe's up and running, this shouldn't be an issue. The HTML5 versions will simply be there for people who can't be arsed with downloads. It's about time I finally got something like this working, and this is my chance!

The "changes in direction" thing is a mirror issue. Left is clockwise, right is anti-clockwise, and is always such.. When the guy's at the top, it just appears wrong! Quirky! fun!! Crazy!! Try mouse control instead, works better, but you occasionally click outside the window, and weird crazyness happens! If I bother to expand on this game, I'll probably shove an option for it, somewhere. .. I still haven't added an option screen anywhere, except for that pause menu!!

As for the 4000 point thing.. um.. Gameplay issues are as they are.. Like I said, I kinda cobbled the thing together within about 2 hours, and it's built upon a half-finished framework! bugs a-plenty!!

The fact that it even runs at a vaguely decent speed is somewhat of a high-point. Other than the stuff I've created using PlayMyCode, this is my first proper HTML5 game, and I'm glad that it's not just totally borked from the get-go! The fact that I can also play this on my iPad is fantastic, and means no more horrible nasty code-porting for future iOS releases. That's the plan, anyway! I still have loads of quirky things to add into the mix.
Today's accomplishments, so far..

1. My framework now supports the iCade control system, meaning everything from the little 8-bitty control pad, to the nice big iCade Cabinet are all supported. I might even leave iCade support in none-iOS versions, too, so you could potentially play a HTML5 browser game using a bluetooth controller, although I'm not 100% sure how well that would work! Still, worth a try, right!?

2. Game Over! Simple and crappy as is my usual forte, but works, and swooshes in and out again!

3. Neatened up the Game/Menu/Game engine switching a little, to include extra loading, and other fiddly bits that I'd previously forgotten to add into the mix.

.. and it's only just gone Dinner time! Plenty more time to add extra juicy bits!

>>Obligatory none-Codey bit<<
Generally having a much healthier morning, today. Had a teensy sick spell, earlier, but no migraine. yeay!
Haven't been outside for a few days, mostly due to all the Snow we're having in Britain. My balance is bad enough on solid ground, so I'm purposely avoiding having to trek out, onto the terribly icy pavements outside.
Doesn't help that we're in a quiet neighborhood, where there's not enough footfall to help clear the paths! No matter, it'll go eventually. I might get out again by February ;)
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

^ See that..? That's an Android Package! .. apparently.
I'm waiting on my Android Test Device showing up, before letting anyone else test this. I don't want to break anything!
Test Device is an Asus Google Nexus 7 Tablet Doohickey, and will probably be here either today or Monday. .. probably Monday. *sigh*

Once that gets here, I'll experiment a bit, then pop the file online, and let you lot have a pick at it. It won't be in the GooglePlay AppStore, so it'll require a bit of faffing about to get it running. (sorry!)
Still loads more stuff to do, plenty of bits and pieces to learn, and lots to fiddle about with, but it's looking much more organised now.

It even automatically pauses, when you switch to a different app on an iPhing! Wowie!!!
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

Triple post? Oh dear, whatever happened to good old fashioned Forum Etiquette?

Well, a fair few people have tried and tested my framework on various different Android devices.
For the most part it's been a success, in that it has at least managed to work!
On the other hand, it's not spectacular.
Seriously, if you want to play my games on the go, go and grab an iPhing, or a top-of-the-range Android device! My Nexus 7 tablet (arrived yesterday!) is just about coping with a fairly low number of sprites, and.. In all honesty, it looks terrible! The image scaling isn't neat, so everything has horrible aliasing, and it looks all ratty and nasty!
Now, it's true, that's pretty much what my games look like in the first place! But at the very least, it could attempt to make my fonts look half decent.
In this case, it doesn't, and that's a terrible shame.

If you know what you're doing with your Android device, and want to see crazy piles of shapes flying around randomly, you can have a play with the framework test, here.. But be aware that it IS a test, it is early days, there's no gameplay at all, and if it breaks.. Well, that's 'cos it ain't done yet!

I'm currently stuck as to how to handle joypads and keys and things on Android. Silly me decided to buy a test device with no buttons whatsoever (except for power, and volume!) and have therefore made things stupidly difficult to test with!
I might ask one or two of you to try something a little further down the line, to help me learn what's doing what on the thing!

However, it IS working! It's a bit rough, it isnt running on everyone's devices, but it is at least doing something, and that's nice to know!.. And surprising, least not because it took about ten minutes from unboxing my nexus to having my test thing running on it :D

I've started to make a list of fun-to-see gamesthat could be interesting to remake, with phones being the primary target. (But with bonus Windows and Mac versions, too!! \O/yeay\o/!!!)
It'd be nice to know if folk here could suggest any more. :)
Scythe
Winner of CWF review contest!

Post by Scythe »

Smartphones are not quite the devil, but I still hold them at bay with crucifixes, garlic and holy water.
Pager

Post by Pager »

I think even garlic is losing its effect...
CWF - Safer than Crack, Twice as Addicting
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

*health bit*
I'm no longer a fan of Garlic, with my new tastebuds. It's ok, but it's not as tasty as it used to be :(
I used to wolf down the Garlic Bread, but now it's just not as tempting as it once was.
I can still eat it, though, it's not as bad as onions!
Onions I can't even smell without wanting to throw up. Which sucks, because I used to love onions, and everything I want to eat has smegging onions in it!!

*spam bit*
D'you remember Cardagain? That odd card-matching game from a couple of years back? I quickly cobbled together a remake of it, and have thrown it up on my site for Android, with other editions and additions popping up on Tuesday. If you've a Droid in your hands, give it a whirl, ta :D
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

Today's been an odd day.
For starters, I officially re-released Cardagain.
The game is available on Windows, Android and in your browser, and all three can be grabbed from here.
It's odd..
All the games I've made over the years, I've never actually done a straight forward, nothing more, bog standard remake of any of my games.
Usually I'd add powerups or new gameplay modes or levels, something, but this time, nothing..
Nothing at all!
This really is exactly the same game, just .. Again!!
Ironically, it's the game with "again" in it's title, thus earning it the odd name of Cardagain Again!

*shrugs*

If I could've thought of anything more, I'm sure I'd've added it. There really isn't much you can do with Cardagain, though!

Oh well, no matter, the game looks nice, wraps itself neatly to different resolutions, and seems to work nicely on a decent bunch of Android devices, so that's nice!
(Incidentally, if you grab the windows version, you can rescale it to any window size you want, and the game will align itself with the new resolution/aspect ratio. This was really useful when testing!!)

Anyway, back to my odd day.
Today was the first day in the past month where things didn't actually work out. It's my first "oh, come on!" experience with this Monkey language.
Long story short, I couldn't get my big word list loaded into the engine, using my normal methods.
I tried about 3 or 4 different methods to do it, but nothing seemed to give any decent results.
It's been slightly depressing having so many different things all fail, and has left me in a bit of a downer.
I'll probably give it all another whirl tomorrow, and see if it gets me anywhere. I still have a few methods to try out, before resorting to the old "just load the file" standard. Standards are boring, aren't they!?

Nothing else of interest has happened, lately. It's been a quiet week, so far!
Tormuse
Warhero

Post by Tormuse »

Scythe wrote:Smartphones are not quite the devil, but I still hold them at bay with crucifixes, garlic and holy water.
Does that mean they're vampires? :D

And I'll definitely give Cardagain again a try... and then I'll play it a second time, just so I can say that I played Cardagain again again! :P I played the original a while ago, and didn't do terribly well; it would be difficult enough to remember where all the cards are without them shifting around periodically! :o

EDIT: Well, my best score was 1497 in easy mode. :D I started failing once there four cards out there, and *really* failing once there were five cards. :P

Overall, I like the way it works. It looks good and sounds good, and the touchscreen controls work well. I like that there are different tilesets for the cards too! (Were those always there? I didn't notice them before!) The biggest issue I had was when I tried to exit the game; I can't! :P Or at least the "back" button which normally gets me out of applications didn't work. I had to go back to the Android home screen, go into the app manager, and close it manually. Also, it doesn't seem to save high scores between sessions. :( (Though, maybe it never did that anyway) EDIT2: Ooh! Disregard that one; I didn't realize it has different high score lists for different difficulty levels. And one more minor thing: the text on the "about" screen is unreadable, (When I touch the "Game a week" logo in the corner of the menu screen) though, that's mostly because my phone's screen is too small and/or has too low resolution.

And, if you don't mind me making a suggestion, I think it would dramatically improve the marketability if you put a screen which explains the rules of the game in the menu. (I don't know if you're planning to market this, per se, but I think it's a good idea anyway) The ability to turn off the sound would be nice, too, since it's meant to be played out in public.

But again, as I said, it looks really good! :)

EDIT3: And now, I suddenly have the urge to play through Munky Blocks, for no particular reason except that it's my favourite of your games that I've played. :)
[size=84]"A Canadian is someone who knows how to make love in a canoe."
Pierre Burton[/size]
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

Quit button.
You'll have to forgive me. Until last Friday, I've only ever had a terrible rubbish little Android 1.0 device (HTC Wildfire) which plays ...nothing!! I have little/no experience of Android gaming.
I honestly had no idea that they had quit buttons!
You're the second person to have pointed this out, so.. Yeah.. I gotta add one of those!!
Luckily, magically, "back button" is at least registering somewhere in my code! If you hit back whilst ingame, it pauses it!
Oooh!
I didn't code that!! I think it must be picking it up as the Escape key, or something. But with that in mind, it'll be easy to add a quit button to the main menu.
.. Or at least it should be!!

Game Rules were included in the iOS one, but never anywhere else. I'm not sure if anyone's noticed this, but I tend to try not to use too many words in my games. I've found that games distribute better if the player doesn't need to read/understand anything. I'll happily use words that are "game culture" specific, like Level, Score, Credit, Game Over, and that sort of thing, but for the most part I stick to a "words are evil" rule book.
....Cardagain is hard to explain without words!!
I'll probably shove the old rule-card back in there, somewhere. Maybe have it pop up when you start Easy mode?

All 8 decks were available in the iOS edition. I can't remember if I ever released the Windows version with them all in. I'll have to check on that!
It also had different artsy backgrounds, too, but the resolution independent nature of this version made those completely unusable!

Audio option : Pause game, hit green speaker icon.
Is that enough, or would you prefer something on the main menu, too?
What's the normal way of doing it in Android games? I'm new to these things!!

Now, onto that unreadable thing.
Annoyingly, Android doesn't seem to want to scale images nicely. Rather than scaling things with nice antialiasing, it just turns sprites into horrible pixelated masses of mess.
For the most part, this isn't noticeable, but on thin text, it's REALLY apparent.
I'm not sure how to fix that. The font looks nice enough on other devices, but android makes it all ugly and gnatty.
I might try out a bunch of different fonts, see which works best.
Trial and error. We'll get there eventually ;)

If I need to, I'll stick a picture there, instead!!

And as for Monkey Blocks.
I'm currently trying out different methods that should hopefully let me store levels in a neat compact way. One involving compressed strings, the other shoving things into pictures. There might even be a way to combine the two, and have compressed images full of compressed data.
Complex, but I think it might be workable.

If I can get something worked out, then I'd like to give Monkey Blocks a go. (Or rather, a mashup between it and it's sequel, Monkey's Block)
I've actually had it on my iOS todo list for a long while, but usually wimped out of tackling it due to the fact that it needs to be rethought for touchscreen control. (Yikes!)
Recently I sat down to actually make a start, before realising I needed to also redraw Munky's sprites, and giving up ;)
I wasn't in an artistic mood, that day!

Meanwhile.....
Today, I started C3ntipong, because I thought it might work well with tilt controls.
.. It doesn't work well with tilt controls!!
Luckily, touching the screen takes over movement, and you can switch between the two whenever you like.
Luvly stuff!
Expect a playable version of that in the next few days. It's pretty much playable already, but only does a single level, then stops. Needs more than that!!

Oh, heck, that's a big post!!
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Summary, please.
"As you have noticed over the years, we are not angry people." (itebygur)
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

Summary : I like Monkey!
Summery : I like Cake!
Summy : 3-2=1
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

Sammo: Hung!
Tormuse
Warhero

Post by Tormuse »

Summary: Jay is still learning how to code in Android. Also, play Munky Blocks. (or is it Monkey Blocks? You spelled it differently) It's a fun game for people who like puzzles. :D
jayenkai wrote: .. Or at least it should be!!
"Should" is such a lofty word that is overused in our society. :P
jayenkai wrote:I'm not sure if anyone's noticed this, but I tend to try not to use too many words in my games...
That's understandable; it makes it easier to distribute them to people who may not have English as their first language. Hmm... Maybe there could be a video tutorial when you play in Easy mode? Like for the first move, an arrow points to which cards to click on, just to get you started. The thing that wasn't immediately intuitive for me, playing the game for the first time, was that you have to select the cards in the same order they're revealed.
jayenkai wrote:All 8 decks were available in the iOS edition. I can't remember if I ever released the Windows version with them all in. I'll have to check on that!
Windows version doesn't have them; I checked.
jayenkai wrote:Audio option : Pause game, hit green speaker icon.
Ooh! I didn't see that. Thanks for pointing it out! :)
jayenkai wrote:Is that enough, or would you prefer something on the main menu, too?
What's the normal way of doing it in Android games? I'm new to these things!!
Most games I've played on Android have a mute button both in-game and on the main menu. The menu mute button is a nice feature to have in case you decide to play in a library or some other quiet place and you don't want it to make any sound when you start.

I also have some comments about the difficulty, but I don't know if I should share them, because that's sort of a "love it or hate it" kind of thing. Personally, I find that even the easy mode is quite challenging and I wonder if it should be scaled back a bit more, but then I'm sure that a lot of people love that kind of challenge and I'd be stepping on their toes by saying that. (I mean I like a challenge too, but I find that the difficulty ramps up at a very unforgiving pace!) :|

Well I'm gonna go ahead anyway. Disclaimer: this is just my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt, but I think that, at the very least, it shouldn't mix up cards or add more cards immediately after you lose a life. Losing a life is a sure sign that the player is struggling, and it could be a good idea to go easier on them, at least for one turn, after that happens. Also, when the game does its mixing up the cards routine, I think it would be good to show the cards a little longer, once they've settled into their new position. How much longer is hard to say. (maybe it can vary with difficulty level?) Speaking for myself, I feel like my brain barely has time to register that the cards have moved and there isn't enough time to memorize the new position during that split second.

I don't know if any of that is helpful, and I don't know if you have any intention at all of changing the gameplay, so maybe I should shut up about that, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway. :)
jayenkai wrote:I've actually had it on my iOS todo list for a long while, but usually wimped out of tackling it due to the fact that it needs to be rethought for touchscreen control. (Yikes!)
My suggestion: (since I know you don't like onscreen joystick buttons) ;) the player can touch the spot they want Munky (Monkey?) to walk to and double-touch the cube they want him to eat. Double-touching again will make him spit it out. (Double-touching on himself or above him makes him spit it straight down, or double-touching the square next to him will make him spit it out there) For this design, it would be helpful to program in some pathfinding at least for the more straightforward paths.
jayenkai wrote: Meanwhile.....
Today, I started C3ntipong...
Hmm... Haven't played that one before. I'll have to give that a try next. :)
jayenkai wrote:Oh, heck, that's a big post!!
It's not the size that counts...

EDIT: Okay, Centipong is a seriously cool game! :D If you can make an Android version of that, it would be pretty awesome! :) The combined nostalgia of Arkanoid from my 286 days with Centipede from my old Atari console sure brings me back! (Now I'm really dating myself and I feel old!) :P Also, I love the music and the gooshy sound effects! :D
Pierre Burton[/size]
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

Music probably won't make the conversion. I'm struggling trying to decide the best way, and .. annoyingly the best way appears to be mp3's, which are nasty at looping, and annoyingly large. Still haven't decided whether or not to go for them or not.

But the gameplay's intact. Look!
Anyhoo, this morning I spent about an hour flicking through masses of fonts, trying to find something that works a little better than the current one, without being nastily huge! I re-stumbled upon EditUndo. I used to use EditUndo a lot, and .. actually, I think the original Centipong uses EditUndo..! That's a bit quirky!
Anyway, I popped that into the engine, and, although the small resolution still looks a little nasty, it is at least coming out a lot more readable than the previous one.

Old on the left, new on the right. That's it at 240x320 resolution. Your LG phone does 320x480, so should look even clearer than that. .. but no promises! Can't be sure until it's been tried.
I've also dug into the framework, and added more "PlayKey(99)" stuff, which gives us nice bonus "Back Button" features, like closing the Badge or Credits display, or even (ooh) quitting the game entirely.
.. Works on my Nexus, should work on your device, but again, no promises! Stupid Android, with it's insane numbers of devices!!

I'll be posting more playable stuff in a couple of days. Centipong, and Cardagain Again Updated Again.. Just gotta get tweaking Centipong a bit more. Been too busy with the Template stuff!
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

You seem to be doing much better, medically, at least.
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

Indeed.
Recently I stopped taking one of my Blood Pressure tablets. The "Amlodipine" tablet had been flagged by a Twitter user, as a possible reason for my odd tastebud issues.
I brought it up with two different docs, but neither seemed bothered, left my tablets alone, and left me having day after day of being sick.
So, two weeks ago I just plain stopped taking the damn thing.
In those two weeks, I've felt SO much better! I'm still being sick, but now it's about twice a week, as opposed to every single day.
My general alertness has increased, and I'm feeling more like my old self.

It helps that I also bought a Blood Pressure Monitor, so I was able to keep an eye on it, whilst playing around with my tablets. Remember kids, don't go playing with your tablets, unless you know what you're doing!
I'm still having bad days... And, my balance isn't what it should be. I can't go outside without having someone with me, lest I take a tumble somewhere! It's odd to be so reliant on others. It's not something I'm used to, and it's kinda depressing knowing you only get outside when you've got your mum with you!!
.. but... I've had 8-cases of brain surgery in the past ten months, and am still here. I'm lucky. My mind seems perfectly intact, and I'm totally thankful for that.

*sobs a bit*

Hmm..
Back to coding :D Less depressing..
Right, I launched a beta test version of C3ntipong, a few hours ago, and have already had a "Tilt Related" bug report.
Folk with Androids, grab the test version here. Already!!!?
The game more or less works, but I've yet to add powerups, or badges, or even sort out the music. But given that I only started it, yesterday, it's come along surprisingly well!

The bug that's been reported is that rather than sensing tilt left/right, like you'd expect, the user's device is sensing up/down, instead.
This is one of those unexpected "Too many different Android devices" issues that I'm going to have to get used to!
Give it a whirl, and let me know if it works the right way on your device, thanks! (The game plays much better with touchscreen controls, though. Tilting sucks!!)
I'll have a tweak of my framework, and see if I can fathom how/why that needs changing. grrr
Tormuse
Warhero

Post by Tormuse »

Regarding health issues, one of the things I'm learning in my nursing classes is that the human body is so complicated and food/drug interactions so convoluted that sometimes, even the best doctors can't predict what's best. If not taking the BP tablet really helps you, then that may be a perfectly valid option. (Disclaimer: I'm saying this without having much knowledge about your health status, so caution is still advised and I think the BP monitor is a good idea)
jayenkai wrote:It helps that I also bought a Blood Pressure Monitor, so I was able to keep an eye on it, whilst playing around with my tablets. Remember kids, don't go playing with your tablets, unless you know what you're doing!
...Unless you're talking about Android tablets. Then it's perfectly okay to play with them! :D
jayenkai wrote:Hmm..
Back to coding :D Less depressing..
Yeah, I get the feeling that having a project is the best medicine right now. :)
jayenkai wrote: Right, I launched a beta test version of C3ntipong...
I gave it a whirl and it works very well on my device. :) (The text is much more readable too!) If I can make a suggestion, I think it would be a good idea to have a bit of space at the bottom of the screen so you can use your finger on the portion of the touchscreen underneath the paddle. When I was playing, I couldn't see the paddle because my finger was in the way. :P This might not seem like a big problem, since you always know it's under your finger, but it makes it tricky to aim the balls, since the direction they fly in is dependent on what part of the paddle they hit. Obviously, the typical C3ntipong game quickly descends into a chaotic frenzy of Centipede bits flying all over the place, but still, it would be nice to have the option of using a bit of finesse now and then. :)

As for music, that's a tough decision... On the one hand, music really helps the atmosphere of the game and makes it more fun to play, but on the other hand, MP3 format music could dramatically increase the size of the game, which isn't a problem if you have a newer/nicer device, but for someone like me, with only 170 Megs of internal storage on my phone, it could be a problem. Hmm... Maybe you could have two different versions, one with music and one without?

In other news, I recently acquired a new computer (well used, but newer than mine) and have been contemplating putting the hard drive from my current one into it. I've been struggling with a pitiful 700 Mhz processor for several years, so this upgrade is well overdue. (this one will be over twice as fast!) I've been putting it off all day, because I'm not confident about my abilities of working with the innards of a computer and I'm concerned that I might break something or otherwise be without a computer for a while as a result. I've only tinkered with my computer's insides once before when I was installing a graphics card, so I'm not sure what to expect. Wish me luck! :)
Pierre Burton[/size]
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

As for music, that's a tough decision... On the one hand, music really helps the atmosphere of the game and makes it more fun to play, but on the other hand, MP3 format music could dramatically increase the size of the game, which isn't a problem if you have a newer/nicer device, but for someone like me, with only 170 Megs of internal storage on my phone, it could be a problem.
This is quickly turning into a game development thread, but the simple solution is to use a tracker format like XM instead. Mod music isn't just for the serial key generators anymore! :D
Do you has what it takes to join the Homestarmy? The guts? The determination? The five bucks? Join today!