The little Inn by the wayside

Here you can talk about anything (that isn't related to the other forums).

Moderator: Crew

jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Re: The little Inn by the wayside

Post by jayenkai »

Ugh.. There's nothing worse than being sick, outside. Went for a walk down the village today, and made it about 2/3 of the way back before the queazyness got too much. Yuck!

A slight setback to my glorious all-systems development plan.. And as per usual, it's all about the cashflow. As much as I'd like to grab myself a nice sparkly android test device, the bank says that would be a monumentally moronic idea! So that's out the window, for starters.
I'll still be installing the dev-kit, and trying things out on emulators, but it won't be perfect. .. I don't trust emulators!

If anyone here has a decent Android device, let me know.. There may be free games, for testing, in your future!!
Tormuse
Warhero

Post by Tormuse »

I have an Android phone! :D Its decency is questionable since it only has about a 700 MHz processor, which I think is a little below average for Smartphones these days but I still think it's pretty good. :)

For the record, it's this one.
[size=84]"A Canadian is someone who knows how to make love in a canoe."
Pierre Burton[/size]
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

*shudder* LG!! nnngh....
Tormuse
Warhero

Post by Tormuse »

I think that's more of a big business problem than an LG problem. I had similar issues with an old Samsung phone which was no longer supported and I've heard similar stories from people with older versions of iphones. It's like when a company has enough money, they just stop caring about giving good customer service. :|
Pierre Burton[/size]
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

Not really in a coding mood, today, so am pretty much just sitting here doing bog all, playing games on my iPad, and faffing about on Twitter.
... I really do feel stupidly lazy, sitting about doing nothing all day, but as soon as I move about too much, I end up being sick. I guess I should just resign myself to the fact that I had a really rough year, and I need time to recover from all of that. But FFS, it's taking ages, and I'm fed up with it!! I wanna feel GOOD, not sit here in a pile of boredom!!
Being ill sucks!!
Still, I've had a half decent week, got a load of coding done, been down the village, and even bothered to have a shave. This is a good week! God only knows what that means for next week, then!!

I'll let you know, if I make it!!
Scythe
Winner of CWF review contest!

Post by Scythe »

jayenkai wrote:Still, I've had a half indecent week, got a load of boning done, burned down the village, and even bothered to shave a slave.
Not bad for a week's worth, dawg! 8)
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

You had me double checking my own post for autocorrect madness, there!!
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

Just channeling your inner beast, my good sir.
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Or you project your dirty thoughts onto others. :ninja:
"As you have noticed over the years, we are not angry people." (itebygur)
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

I admit it's hard to keep the filth contained. It wants to be free!
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

I am a hypocrit.
I've always said "no stupid onscreen buttons".. That's always been one of my rules.
If I'm making touchscreen games, there'd better be something better than a stupid onscreen joystick, with two buttons on the opposite site.

Fiddlesticks..

I've only gone and made a stupid onscreen joystick with two piddly buttons on the other side.
What was I thinking?!?

... Of course, they're not there as a permanent feature, but they've been placed into my framework for those times when I really want to release a silly little game, but just can't come up with a better control method. Or, should anyone hate twisting and tilting their device around, the option of a joystick will always be there.
It's the best of both worlds. .. I suppose.
Tomorrow I'll draw a better looking set of buttons, 'cos.. Well.. Those are just boxes!!! Can you tell?!?

Onscreen controls will appear on iOS and Android, and if anyone wants to attempt suicidal mouse control, I'll add an option on future win/mac/HTML editions, too, just for the fun of it!

In health news, it's been a week since I stopped taking "that horrible pill", Amlodipine, which I was told was the reason for my obscure new tastebuds. My old tastebuds haven't yet returned, but at least I'm not having any odd side effects from not taking it. ... I Have had a good week, considering, though. So things are a wee bit better without that one little daily pill.
.. Now it's just the other 15 daily pills to worry about!!
Tormuse
Warhero

Post by Tormuse »

@Jayenkai, my aforementioned Android phone has a slide-out keyboard, so maybe you can include support for that? :) I have no idea how complicated that would be to implement, but it works very well for an SNES emulator I downloaded and makes it feel like a hand-held gaming system.
Pierre Burton[/size]
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

To be entirely honest, I haven't a clue!
Could be a simple case of "Works exactly like a keyboard", but could also be trickier. Not the foggiest! That's what all this early test stuff if here to test. It's slow progress, but it's fun in that special way that nobody else really gives a monkey about!! So, um, apologies if I'm boring the pants off you all! ... still, at least you're not getting daily Blood Pressure reports, like all my Facebook Friends!!
Railwaymodeler
Legend

Post by Railwaymodeler »

Over the course of this past week, I had nearly 40 PC repairs to do, and sold three desktop systems and a laptop. While I sometimes grumble about working so hard, I will never give up the IT field. 15 of the PCs were from a youth outreach group, they had them donated with Windows 7. Problem is, they are Dell OptiPlex GX260 and GX270 systems, which do not work well with 7. Loaded XP on them. A low income apartment building which has a computer lab for its tenants, sent 10 more with so many viruses, a clean install of Windows was best.

They had Windows 2000 on them and AVG 7.5! RAM upgraded, and they run XP just fine.

Rest were private sector work.

This week, I'm planning to just relax and take it easy. Skoda needs more time with me.
Without trains America Stops- Support Amtrak

Old trains never die. They just sit in ruin and wait until the day they are taken in by a skilled craftsman and rebuilt to their former glory.
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

Blimey, that's a lot of systems to deal with! I get annoyed when people expect me to fix ONE system, never mind 40!! Having said that, they usually expect me to do all sodding repairs for free. Sucks to be the family goto guy for PC repairs :\

...AVG 7!!?!?
Railwaymodeler
Legend

Post by Railwaymodeler »

Yeah, AVG 7. Kind of part of the reason all the systems had viruses. Plus they were using Internet Explorer 6.

As the building is for low income people, the same people who have no internet sense, the people who just click whatever a webpage tells them to, frankly, I'm surprised they still had what appeared to be the original install of Windows!

I do like keeping busy to an extent. This is what I chose to do with my life, and I do enjoy fixing computers.
Without trains America Stops- Support Amtrak

Old trains never die. They just sit in ruin and wait until the day they are taken in by a skilled craftsman and rebuilt to their former glory.
Pater Alf
The Steel Spine of GameHunters

Post by Pater Alf »

jayenkai wrote:...So, um, apologies if I'm boring the pants off you all! ... still, at least you're not getting daily Blood Pressure reports, like all my Facebook Friends!!
No need to apologize. Most of the time I find your posts really interesting. Even if you write about coding and I don't understand a single word of it... :wink:
[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]
Tormuse
Warhero

Post by Tormuse »

Pater Alf wrote:
jayenkai wrote:...So, um, apologies if I'm boring the pants off you all! ... still, at least you're not getting daily Blood Pressure reports, like all my Facebook Friends!!
No need to apologize. Most of the time I find your posts really interesting. Even if you write about coding and I don't understand a single word of it... :wink:
^ This. :)
Pierre Burton[/size]
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

Good to know I can waffle on regardless, then! I am at least trying to keep things to a minimal geekery level! For example, as much as my recent KeyHit vs GetChar experience might've been interesting to me, they're definitely not tales for an audience. I'm sure you couldn't give a monkey about whether one command works or not!

Took a day off from everything today. Had a Migraine day. The tumour might be gone, but I've had migraines my whole life.. Them ain't shifting!! (which led to a bonus MRI scan, whilst in hospital.. Me desperately trying to tell the Docs it was just a migraine, them totally freaking out over it!.. Turned out, I just had a migraine.. If only someone had told them :/ )

Tomorrow, I'll get back to that GetChar related issue, and hopefully get things back on track.
Speaking of keeping things on track, at around about 2:30pm, yesterday, I realised I'd spent all week working on my new framework, and hadn't yet written AGameAWeek! Uhoh!!
So, using the all new framework, I quickly bodged together a rubbish little test game which is nothing magical whatsoever, but is at least something to keep my site active!!! Hey, no one said AGameAWeek had to be GOOD games!!
The test game features a half complete framework, and a whole bunch of missing features.
I have a lot more work to do before I can call it a full framework, but it's nice that I can at least release a little test game.
More to come.
.. Haven't worked out any Android stuff yet, sorry, still learning!!!
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Sorry! Fell off the planet again - this time for a little longer.
Jay - I have an Android as well - HTC One X. So let me know if you need something tested.

Also I am one of your FB friends so I get "The Daily Dent" thank you. :)

I am also a total grammar-nazi but I have my issues when applying them to English as its not my mothertongue, so dont expect to feel it in here. On more than one occasion I have made my dear wife leave the room in anger, asking me if I could "just let her write already..." :( Woops.

Hope everyone is doing fine. I am once again extremely busy, and I have no idea how I could find time any time soon to do any real work for CWF, or even to drop by on a 3 times a week basis. I am not gone though, and I try to read at least 10-15 posts when I do land here. I am however 133 behind currently...
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain