The little Inn by the wayside

Here you can talk about anything (that isn't related to the other forums).

Moderator: Crew

Scythe
Winner of CWF review contest!

Re: The little Inn by the wayside

Post by Scythe »

Ssh, it's quiet time. Don't wake the kids. Or the dragon.
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

RAWR!

Had a quiet week, mostly, nothing interesting had happened at all.
Been sick every day, chased the cat around the house, but otherwise an uneventful week of sitting about, playing on the iPad, and doing nothing in particular.
I really should be coding!
Railwaymodeler
Legend

Post by Railwaymodeler »

Slick and icy out, staying in most of the day.

Did find this via Google search:

http://chicagolampoon.blogspot.com/2011 ... okish.html

Great example of Pace mis-management.
Without trains America Stops- Support Amtrak

Old trains never die. They just sit in ruin and wait until the day they are taken in by a skilled craftsman and rebuilt to their former glory.
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Tormuse wrote:It's quiet here lately, eh?
Funny, people at Lemon Amiga forums have noticed the same thing.

If you scroll down you'll find my post. A middle-length one. It will give you a reason to talk about something else than weather if you wish.
"As you have noticed over the years, we are not angry people." (itebygur)
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

It's all Twitter's fault.
Twitter is like IRC and Forum combined into a wonderful new thing. And it's killing forums as a result.
Which is annoying when you spent years creating one!

I used to read loads at Lemon,but never joined.. Um.. I think.. *checks* yeah, I never registered.
Never had any Amiga warez to show off ;)

(For the record, I do, but they're utter garbage!)
Railwaymodeler
Legend

Post by Railwaymodeler »

I've never used Twitter, and really have no use for it. I prefer a web forum anyday. The feeling of community seems better on a good forum, than any Twitter or Facebook page could hope for.

Old trains never die. They just sit in ruin and wait until the day they are taken in by a skilled craftsman and rebuilt to their former glory.
Tormuse
Warhero

Post by Tormuse »

I agree with you, RWM. I've never really seen the appeal of Twitter. Give me a good ol' forum any day. :)
[size=84]"A Canadian is someone who knows how to make love in a canoe."
Pierre Burton[/size]
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

I used to agree with that, but I think I've been sucked in too deep!
HELP!
It stings!!!

Forums are oldskool, and were losing out. It's a shame, but it's the way things are.
For what it's worth, as much as I am a definite Twitter user, now, I am still active on my favourite two forums.
(This, and Socoder)
I have drifted off from a heck of a lot of them, though. I don't think I've visited RetroRemakes in over a year, and I used to be on there all the time! My SonicRetro visits are typically just the front page for news updates!!
But then, all the main RetroRemakes guys are on Twitter, and if anything big happens in the Sonic community, you pretty much hear about it on there, anyway!!
So, yeah, Twitter's taken over.

I still prefer a nicely formatted, permanent forum, but Twitter's there for the rantyness. And god knows I don't half love a good rant!!
@Jayenkai <-- Incase it wasn't really really really obvious!
Railwaymodeler
Legend

Post by Railwaymodeler »

Being someone who uses proper grammar and punctuation, I really can't stand some of the writing on Twitter and Facebook. I'll cling to my commas, periods, colons, and even semicolons, thank you very much.

At least it is rare that I see red lines under my writing, except for town names, which is understandable. Waukegan is simply not going to be in any dictionary. Though some write is tank car, I write it as tankcar (Much as we write it as boxcar and flatcar, despite hopper car being two separate words), and tankcar does get a red line under it.

Don't even get me started on those very special beings who use the word "like" entirely too much. Listen kid, don't tell me what something is similar to, tell me what it actually is already!

jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

Ugh, don't get me started on bad grammar!
You know what's worse than random idiots, online, who can't spell well? When it's half your own family, on Facebook! GAH!!!
I probably annoy plenty of people with my over excessive use of exclamation points, and multiple full stops, but at least I bother to use them!!
Nnngh...

I think I over compensate for my family's lack of punctuation!!!

My Twitter feed isn't anywhere near as bad, mostly because none of my family's figured out Twitter, yet ;)
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

The grumpy old man is strong with this one.
Tormuse
Warhero

Post by Tormuse »

Railwaymodeler wrote:Being someone who uses proper grammar and punctuation...
Well, since you brought up proper grammar, I'm sure you won't mind if I point out that you have a tendency to misuse the phrase, "Maria and I." As a rule of thumb, the phrase, "Maria and I" is supposed to only be used when you would have said "we" and you're supposed to use the phrase, "Maria and me" in places when you would have said "us."

Normally, I try to resist the urge to correct people's grammar, but that sounded like a challenge. :D

(And now that I've said that, people are probably going to start correcting my grammar) :P
Pierre Burton[/size]
Railwaymodeler
Legend

Post by Railwaymodeler »

Understood, Tormuse. However, I tend to use that outside of proper context for the convenience of this forum. For those, if anyone, who have not read everything, or are newcomers, that allows them to follow along a little better.

You may have also noticed that I keep referring to her as my fiancee, and Loki as "Our cat", or "The cat", much for the same reasons.

Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

Tormuse wrote:(And now that I've said that, people are probably going to start correcting my grammar) :P
There's this thing called Muphry's law.
Do you has what it takes to join the Homestarmy? The guts? The determination? The five bucks? Join today!
Tormuse
Warhero

Post by Tormuse »

Um... I think maybe you misunderstood me. (Sorry if I was unclear) I was trying to show the distinction between the phrase "Maria and I" and the phrase "Maria and me," such as in this link.

For example:
Railwaymodeler wrote: Once Skoda is sleeping, Loki will go find Maria and I...
That should be "Maria and me" instead of "Maria and I."

I have to admit that I had to dig through your posts to find an example because you've been doing it right lately. :P The above post is from October 26th, 2012.
Pierre Burton[/size]
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

I & me lubs you all.

Just got a huge order of cards from a Kickstarter I supported. Happy days are here again! Just in time for game night too.
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

Take a peek into The Future!!

It's a pause menu! Oooh, cheap and tacky, but somewhat intriguing!!

I'm finally getting to grips with this Monkey language, but trying to make every little thing multi-purpose is doing my head in! Everything has to be rethought for multiple different user interfaces. Like the little pause menu above.
Technically it should be easy. Box, buttons, clicks, sorted.
But BOY was it complicated!
Different screen resolutions are hard enough, then you get into phones that are in Portrait mode, so you have to account for those.
Mouse vs Touch, not too tricky, since nobody's going to be tapping two of the buttons at once, but then what if the player's been using buttons? You need the menu to work with buttons, too!! Argh!!

Lots of brain-wrecking stuff to think about, and this is just the pause menu. I haven't even begun to tackle the actual frontend menu, yet?

All of this is being bundled up into my all-new Monkey Framework, which should result in me being able to code for a bucketload of systems all in one go. So far, so good, and the above pause menu screenshot is actually taken from my iPad, so .. Yippie.. That's at least working the way it's supposed to!
I can also run it in html5 mode, but am currently having issues compiling to both Windows and Mac exes. I can figure that out along the way, as well as Android. .. Dangit, I need to buy something Androidy, too, now!!

Feels GREAT to be doing head-scratching coding again!
Really exciting stuff, even if the screenshot does look as dull as a monkeys paw!!
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

Should anybody wish to see me as a crazy action movie star, here's a link:
http://magicwax.deviantart.com/art/The- ... -327681277
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

Awesome!!
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Funny thing about correct use of grammar, punctuation and vocabulary (not just English, but pretty much every national language) is that people (including me) who bash Twitter, online chats etc. and accuse them of destroying proper language tend to forget that literacy is a rather recent invention. Some of our grandparents (our meant as our generation, because we on CWF are fairly small representation) were probably illiterate when they were in our age and most likely good number of our grand-grandparents were. High literacy rate is a post-war phenomenon. So just when the rules of using proper language settled here came cell phones and internet with smilies, lack of punctuation and quick interactions. Still, this is the language and a very creative one, even if lacking majesty of the official codified language.
"As you have noticed over the years, we are not angry people." (itebygur)