The little Inn by the wayside

Here you can talk about anything (that isn't related to the other forums).

Moderator: Crew

Tormuse
Warhero

Re: The little Inn by the wayside

Post by Tormuse »

Hi all! I haven't been here much lately, but I wanted to wish you all a Merry Christmas! :D

I've got a bit of a break from school, (I passed all my courses and can move on to the next semester; yay!) :D so I can relax a bit and I'm looking forward to getting together with my family for Christmas dinner this evening. :)

@Zyx, I have a friend who has been making joking posts on Facebook about the upcoming end of the world; I'm totally going to wish him a Happy New B'ak'tun! :D

@Jayenkai, I'm glad to hear you're walking again! From what you're saying, I'm guessing you probably have to relearn how to balance again, but I'm sure that if you give yourself time and practice, you'll get it back. Just take it in baby steps. (So to speak) :P

And I can't remember if I've mentioned it on this forum before, but as of a couple months ago, I have a new pet baby corn snake, named Diamond. He's a bright red colour and lives in a cage in my room and he's adorable. :)
[size=84]"A Canadian is someone who knows how to make love in a canoe."
Pierre Burton[/size]
Pater Alf
The Steel Spine of GameHunters

Post by Pater Alf »

eMTe wrote:...gifts like consoles, not to mention oldschool LEGO, don't work anymore...
What kind of strange kids do you know? ;)

Most of the children I know love LEGO. I even gave away some packs this Christmas and I know next time I come around they will have build amazing stuff with it.
[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

I'm 32, and have just finished opening my first ever Lego Advent Calendar! You're NEVER too old for Lego!!
... Well, ok, maybe you are. The teens are a terrible time, when nothing seems to fit, but once you're over all that, and can get into your nostalgic youth, you're all ready for Lego again!!

Speaking of childhood building toys, have I mentioned the Meccano Bridge that they're building in my village? Kickass!! Can't wait to feel strong enough for a walk down to see it :D

Merry Christmas, everyone!
May your day be festive and jolly, and your bellies be filled with everything you probably shouldn't have eaten!!
Tormuse
Warhero

Post by Tormuse »

I grew up with Lego, so I can definitely identify with the nostalgia you're describing. Sooner or later, I'm going to have to buy myself a Lego set so I can play with it again. :) (Darn! I should've asked for Lego for Christmas!) :P
Pierre Burton[/size]
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Duplo or Technic?
"As you have noticed over the years, we are not angry people." (itebygur)
Tormuse
Warhero

Post by Tormuse »

Duplo when I was very young, and then regular Lego universal sets later. I think I got a Technic set once, I don't remember clearly.
Pierre Burton[/size]
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Oh, but I asked which one would you like to play again. :mrgreen:

Btw, there's a fine [unsolved] puzzle in brain teasers topic, so maybe youd like to try your hand?
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

I've been purposely avoiding the Brain Teaser topic. My brain's been through enough!!
Mum bought me a Scrabble Daily Calendar, for next year, with a terribly difficult looking word puzzle, every single day!!! Argh!!
She's trying to kill me!!

Had a nice quiet family Xmas, this year. Mums full of flu, so we got the chance to warn everyone to keep away, and spent the day as a nice neat close family. Made a nice change, instead of friends and neighbours turning up, and spending ages chit-chatting about nonesense. ... Have heard enough of that, being ill on the couch, the past few month!

So, yeah, nice and peaceful. Plenty of presents, enough booze to keep us going, and a nice big turkey dinner. Oh, and Doctor Who, too!
Kickass!
Tormuse
Warhero

Post by Tormuse »

eMTe wrote:Oh, but I asked which one would you like to play again. :mrgreen:
No, you didn't. ;) Well, at this point, I think I'm feeling enough nostalgic withdrawal to play with any of them! :P
eMTe wrote:Btw, there's a fine [unsolved] puzzle in brain teasers topic, so maybe youd like to try your hand?
Okay, sure, I'll give it a whirl... :)
Pierre Burton[/size]
Railwaymodeler
Legend

Post by Railwaymodeler »

Hi everyone! I've gotten sick again, feels like a nasty cold this time. Maria and I sent Skoda over to her grandma's for a while. We tend to let her stay there when either Maria or I, or both of us, are sick.

Was a very merry Christmas. Skoda's first Christmas, as well. First part of the day was quiet, Skoda got some new toys, including another plush stuffed cat she just loves! We're not sure why, but she is always very fussy unless a cat is near her at bedtime. Usually has to be Loki - a real cat - but now this plush one will work too.

I gave Maria a new ring. She isn't into looking too flashy, but wanted something for her right hand too. Silver with a blue turquoise stone. Silver looks much better on her than gold does. She gave me some 78RPM records she had gotten for me, and a few new (To me - they're antique models) trains.

For the first time, she came with me to dad's house. Mother, the abusive loony, is still in the hospital. She had a complete knee replacement a week before Christmas (Still is in the hospital now even, with some complications after surgery), so Maria got to see the trains dad and I have. Four generations of family trains down there in his basement!

Sad, in a way, that the looney (my "mother") is so abusive and controlling, that she still has not been told about Maria at all. She knows bits and pieces of the lawsuit, but still thinks it is still going on. Sad that she likely will never meet Skoda, nor Maria I hope. But, she did it to herself. She is unable to control herself except when confronted with authority, such as doctors or law enforcement, and has a way of playing the system to not only get out of trouble, but legally blame her victims. Neither Maria nor Skoda need that in their lives.
Without trains America Stops- Support Amtrak

Old trains never die. They just sit in ruin and wait until the day they are taken in by a skilled craftsman and rebuilt to their former glory.
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Sorry to hear about your mother RAillo. I dont believe I have heard about her before. So that is another piece of the Railway puzzle. :)
(In hindsight that sounded like I was analyzing you - I wasn't).

MErry X-mas everyone.

Ihavent been in here since the 18th, so I missed a lot. I tried to at least read up on the bar to see what has happened to people.

Xmas here has been celebrated as usual with 5 consecutive familydays. We had xmas evening on the 22nd, 23rd and 24th and xmasgatherings with food feasts and schnaps on the 25th and 26th. Kids are all bashed out, and me and Tanja are trying to find some calm to get the presents we got double swapped for new stuff, assemble the furniture and whatnots that the kids got, and also do the last cleaning after the24th being celebrated here - damn ducksauce burned to a crisp in the oven...
I got some great gifts - all grownup gifts, like coffeemaker, clothes and dishes. The kids got all pink stuff, barbies and LEGO Friends - which is LEGO for girls if you dont know. (I mean SPECIFICALLY for girls - the other LEGO is unisex).

The furnace went out this morning just after I shampooed Annas hair - that was fun! The guy from the roofing company blew us off, and normally you just call another guy, but the problem is that we need THIS guy... Yesterday when I was the most beat we pulled out the 2 mattresses in front of the TV, and as we were getting ready to lie there, there was a knock on the door, and one of our neighbours asked if we had a spare mattress because they had a guest staying over night, and they just found out the air mattress they had, was punctured... Bummer. Things have not been easy on us lately. LEts put it this way. December 21st a TVchannel here made a program called End of the world LIVE, with some hilarious people dropping by, and doing a VERY sarcastic approach on the whole doomsday thing. They ended with a countdown to the exact time and as the clock hit 0:00:00 we looked at eachother smiling - about 30 seconds later Tanja looked at me and said "Well I guess we have to hang the laundry then..." and so we did.

I am hoping that I can find the time to stop by more often on CWF in 2013, but as it looks now I am not making it a new years resolution... I have a tendency to try and keep those, and I am not sure I can with this one...

Since we are having the new years party here, I am pretty sure I wont find time to drop by before then, so HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE! :) (Oh and perhaps even a happy easter as well...:rolleyes: )
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

Yep, I've completely missed any previous mentions of your Mother, too, RailwayModeler. Feel free to do a nice big wall of text about it! Should be worth a read! Certainly sounds like an interesting tale.

Our Xmas was nice and quiet.
Mum got flu on Xmas eve, so we spent Xmas morning warding off all the visitors, incase they got it too.. Which made a nice change, because we got to spend a nice quiet day, together, just me, my mum and my sister. Lovely Xmas together. .. And the cat, that ignores us all, and hides herself away all day!

Coming soon : Jay visits the Tablet Doctor on Monday, who hopefully magically fixes Jay's tastebuds, so Jay can eat onions again!
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Chroelle wrote:Oh and perhaps even a happy easter as well...:rolleyes:
With that pace, next year you'll promise to visit CWF as soon as your kids leave home. :D
Railwaymodeler
Legend

Post by Railwaymodeler »

I've never mentioned the Female Parental Psychopathic Unit????

Since I'm tired right now and don't feel quite up to writing War and Peace (Though the title would fit!), she was very abusive when I was a kid. She seems to believe anyone who has anything "wrong" with them at all, needs to be isolated from society, needs to be locked away for ever. But then, she herself would fly into rampages, and still does, over strange things. Onetime she got the belief that the next door neighbors were somehow spying on her, and responsible for everything bad that would happen. Basement flood? No, the heavy rain couldn't have anything to do with that! Had to be they ran a hose in there! Growing up, somehow I thought it was normal to be beaten and belittled over the slightest thing. It wasn't until I was at a friends house, and he spilled a glass of milk, and did not end up beaten and have his face shoved in the spill, that I figured out something was not right.

She wanted me locked away for the rest of my life when I turned 18. Ended up being taken out of my home at 17, and placed in a group home to get me away from her violence and abuse. Group home wasn't much of an improvement, but 4 years later, I ended up back in Illinois, on my own, and a LOT stronger for it!

For the trauma I'd survived, psych doctors have said that it is almost baffling: A lot of people who had upbringings like mine end up as infamous criminals. I just point out that my dad was the opposite: Best dad I could have ever had, but sadly brainwashed, it seems, into thinking everything was normal.

When you consider how the past few years prior to winning against Pace, had been, well, that just makes everything that more interesting. Maria knows quite well that years ago, I had realized the only reason that I did not end up in a facility for the rest of my life, was that there were some that saw what could be, that underneath everything, I had a LOT of potential, and I am not one to disappoint! I also long ago concluded that yes, I could adopt the "victim" mentallity, and end up as an abuser, or, I could use the experience to do my share to put a stop to the abuse out there from others. Why do you think the abuse at Pace bothered me so much?

I'll have to expand on everything later. Half alseep right now.

Old trains never die. They just sit in ruin and wait until the day they are taken in by a skilled craftsman and rebuilt to their former glory.
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

Railwaymodeler wrote:She seems to believe anyone who has anything "wrong" with them at all, needs to be isolated from society, needs to be locked away for ever. But then, she herself would fly into rampages, and still does, over strange things.
... I can't be the only one who was instantly reminded of the intro scene to The Binding of Isaac?
Do you has what it takes to join the Homestarmy? The guts? The determination? The five bucks? Join today!
Railwaymodeler
Legend

Post by Railwaymodeler »

Heh heh, I just watched that, my mother sits around the house all day too, not doing much of anything except watching old TV shows. Even though she may have seen the episode a thousand times, she still gets mad whenever someone interrupts her watching it. But then, she is never happy either. Always angry about something, even if she has to bring up something trivial from 20 years ago or more. Almost as if she looks for reasons to have everyone and everything too.

Tormuse
Warhero

Post by Tormuse »

Jeez, it seems like dealing with bullying, domineering people has been a running theme in your life, eh, RWM? :|
Chroelle wrote:...LEGO Friends - which is LEGO for girls if you dont know. (I mean SPECIFICALLY for girls - the other LEGO is unisex).
Ah, I assume you mean these. That's not *real* Lego. :P Personally, if I ever have kids and they include girls, I'm totally getting them the unisex Lego. I mean the whole point of getting Lego is so they can be creative and build stuff, right? Otherwise, you might as well just get them dolls, and then you'll have this scenario. :D
Pierre Burton[/size]
Railwaymodeler
Legend

Post by Railwaymodeler »

Yeah, Tormuse, I've noticed that too. On the other hand, everything has worked in a very certain way.

Follow this:

Neighborhood school I attended for a brief while also had junior high kids who had a racket of bullying small children for lunch money. I stood my ground, got the crap beaten out of me. Ended up with a nasty concussion, which, it is believed, caused my seizure problem later. So get transfered to another school, which had a computer lab. Still get bullied, but not as badly, end up spending recess in the computer lab as much as possible. New principal in fifth grade was a sexual predator, went after us boys in the special ed department. As part of a school cover-up, I got sent to a state facility for a 60 day "evaulation". Witnessed severely mentally handicapped people die there from abuse and neglect. At that point, I figure out the world is harsh. Go through junior high and high school being rediculed by my peers, but favored by teachers. As the teachers are concerned by my mother's constant abuse, and because of a law that with me being in special ed for a half hour a day, the school is responsible for my education through age 21. They use this to send me to a group home where I can be away from my mother, get a college education, and grow as a person. Group home ended up being a hell hole for a while, until the school funding me to be there came down on them. So got my education finished and emerged with a sense of how screwed up the world is, and what is wrong with it in general. So now I have a skill, and a sense of purpose. In Waukegan now, take a job with the city police repairing computers. End up blowing the whistle on my boss, who would replace a PC with a five dollar problem, with a new PC costing a thousand dollars of city money, and which he got a kickback on from the vendor. Working there, every machine worked properly, but got drummed out by politics for doing my job too well and exposing some corruption. All of the police officers and detectives just loved my work, and many of them are still friends, but I made a few enemies. Met Maria at that time, as I was uncovering, through other friends I'd made at the bus line, just how bad work conditons are. End up at the center of that when I helped a friend get her job back after being wrongfully fired. So garage management decide to make me a target, and eventually Maria too. After a long battle with Pace, and to a lesser extent, the city of Waukegan, we've dealt with Pace, the city is undergoing a revampment, and some of the crooks there are out looking for a new job. In the process, Maria and I have become a devoted couple with a daughter, and a big pile of money to show for our efforts, and some of our friends at Pace who have been their victims, are also sitting on their piles of money.

I wish these teenagers we see out there, could hear all that. Too often we see kids that falter at just a hint of struggle. As I've often said, its not enough to want change out there. When you become the change you want to see, then you're making a difference.

jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

Wowie!

... Merry Christmas!!

I guess I've had a carefree life. Moved to a new town when 7, went from a nice group of friends to a quite lonely child... Never really recovered, and have been a loner ever since. A few years later, it came to light that Dad had been fiddling with my sister, so he got banged up, and mum brought us up on her own. Loner kid gets more quirky, and things carry on! As far as bullying's concerned, I suppose I was just a lucky S.O.B. There was one incident, with a couple of kids thinking they could get the better of me, but a swift dose of "Irish Temper" solved that fairly rapidly... I have a really short fuse!! People learn, fast! I'm not a strong kid, and under normal circumstances would be definite bully-fodder. .. But I was left alone, and the loner kid trait continued!!

Glad to hear you managed to get through all of your crap, though. Life sucks!
Scythe
Winner of CWF review contest!

Post by Scythe »

Railie, sometimes your life sounds like a fairy tale. A fairy tale with trains!