The little Inn by the wayside

Here you can talk about anything (that isn't related to the other forums).

Moderator: Crew

Pager
Winner of CWF review contest!

Re: The little Inn by the wayside

Post by Pager »

Hey Chroelle, good to see you again...I was always worried when I got back that you hadn't posted in a while...
By the way, if anyone is still using facebook, I am using my dog's name for my account, but mostly just on there to play Walking Dead.
Chroelle wrote:I am WAY TOO busy for it to be good for me.
I hear you. The last year has been insane. I would go to work at the crack of dawn, then work until night time. Then have about an hour to myself before bed that I usually just stared at the television.

Chroelle wrote:a woman was murdered (possibly by a burglar) more or less just around the corner from here.
That is pretty unnerving. In the past little while there has been a lot of murders and drug busts in our neighbourhood, it is a little nerve wracking to say the least. We also have a lot of cell phone robberies around here...my wife and I got approached by someone when we were out late walking the dog, wanting to know if we could give him directions, then asked if we had a cell phone he could look at. I told him no, but he kept changing the place he wanted to get to and kept asking about our phone. After a while he just rode off.
CWF - Safer than Crack, Twice as Addicting
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Pager wrote:My wife sleeps with ear plugs in periodically either because I snore way too much, or every noise on the planet wakes her up.
I never had trouble with people sharing the apartment (or bed :P) with me, neither with street noise. It's the noisy neighbours which drive me crazy. Sudden mysterious clatters and other sounds at midnight. And sometimes you don't even know whether they come from below or from above. One particularly irritating thing is that often you can't sleep, because you wait for noises to begin, instead of relaxing.
Chroelle wrote:a woman was murdered (possibly by a burglar) more or less just around the corner from here
Very unpleasant feeling when something like this happens in the neighbourhood. Does police have any leads already?

If it was really a burglar he probably carefully chose the victim making thorough reconnaisance earlier. On the other hand if he murdered her he might have been an amateur - professional thief breaks and enters when nobody's at home. Anyway, there's always a possibility that it is a specialized gang and they have the whole districts under surveillance - watching whose house or apartment may be worth robbing, so I understand people feel uneasy now.
"As you have noticed over the years, we are not angry people." (itebygur)
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

Chroelle wrote:And to top it all off - a woman was murdered (possibly by a burglar) more or less just around the corner from here. Its pretty nervewrecking when you sit up alone all the time, and when I am finally out, then Tanja is home alone with the kids and uneasy. I cant imagine what it must be like to be the neighbours of that poor family. (Or of course to be the poor family).
It is extremely likely that it was actually somebody who knew her. It is exceedingly rare (in Denmark anyway) that people get killed during burglaries.
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Unfortunately today I found out that I knew the woman. Not a friend or aquaintance, but as a stepmother to one of the kids that I was "primary" for. So I talked to her a bunch of times. This actually made me worry even more, because as long as the murder victim is someone faceless it seems a little unrealistic to you, but when you can suddenly put a face, situation and a voice on that person it becomes increasingly eiry, and you feel it could happen to anyone close to you (or even yourself). LEts just say that I never walk across the parking lot without some kind of defense planned. Like holding the car key between my fingers, so I can use it as a weapon should something occur. And at the same time you know you are being paranoid... It seems insane to walk across a dark section of street, and try to convince yourself not to look back, because if you do, then you will have placed your whole being in a higher state of alert, with resulting rise in adrenaline, making your heart pump faster and making you want to turn again.

Well, on a more merry note - I witnessed a carcrash yesterday and was first person at the scene (Makes me sound like a cop or something, but I lacked another expression). The merry note being - the guy crawled out of the wrecked car without any damage, and I stopped and got him to the side of the highway, where people were doing 90 kmh and it was in a turn and under a bridge so there was a HUGE risk of not being spotted. He kept walking around the car and talking about how his mom was gonna kill him (she didn't - I was there when she came - but she did rip him a new one!!!) So I called the cops, and the ambulance, and talked him down a bit. Antoher person stopped and pulled over and helped me control the guy who was shocked, but not drunk or under any other influences (other than an extreme fear of his mother at that point - it was her car.)
The merry note - here it comes - was that while I was there, and calling 112 (Danish 911) more than 15-20 cars pulled over to ask if He, we or I needed help. People stopped and tried to help. Even when help was obviously there, they offered to lend a hand to make it even easier for everyone to get through the situation. Only problem was that it was freezing and that had made the road slippery so I was nervous that someone would not break in time and might hit us, the car or debris scattered on the road. This was taken care of by 3 drivers who parked their cars all across the highway, and thus blocking this main traffic-vain completely of traffic. That gave me a litteral high. I was completely drunk with the situation afterwards, because in a time where everyone is speculating who could murder a Danish woman, who teached kids with disabilities, by showing up in her home and stabbing her while she was in her nightgown - all of a sudden I lost that distrust in humans that had been growing on me since friday, and got high on so many people wanting to help when help was needed. I wish it would not have been extremely awkward to film the whole thing, so I couldhave shown it to you. You would have had goosebumps, just looking at the three cars with totals strangers, cancelling their plans for tonight to keep you safe from on coming traffic.
If that sounded a bit dramatic, then bare with me, because I still get a little buzz when I describe it.

To respond to you eMTe - police have no public leads yet. Ex-husband and wife have been drawn in for talks, but they had "a happy divorce" so to speak, where kids of all 3 families were welcome in all 3 homes, so everyone there was cleared. The house is however not anywhere near the burglar-prone zone in the town. It is far from public transportation, anc close to the neighbours. It is right on the side of the road, so it seems like a stupid place to burglarise.
The latest news is that she put up a fight, so their might be some DNA from the guy under fingernails etc. We are all hoping for that in the town.
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain
Pager

Post by Pager »

That is pretty awesome how so many people did stop and offer help.
People are generally decent, just leave it up to one piece of trash to ruin that.
Tormuse
Warhero

Post by Tormuse »

Just thought I'd drop in and say hi. :) School is still busy and stressful. Work is still busy and stressful. Life is still good, though. :)

Sorry to hear about what happened in your neighbourhood, Chroelle; that really does sound scary and unsettling. :| I hope they find whoever did it.
[size=84]"A Canadian is someone who knows how to make love in a canoe."
Pierre Burton[/size]
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

Chroelle wrote:Unfortunately today I found out that I knew the woman.
Ah, you're a possible suspect then. :cop:

As a long-time watcher of b-class cop series like Castle and CSI: Miami, I'm guessing that the murder was so random that even though there could be DNA evidence, there's no match in the system. So, it would seem like the cops won't have a ...

8)

...smörgåsbord's worth of evidence to go on.
Do you has what it takes to join the Homestarmy? The guts? The determination? The five bucks? Join today!
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

I had a friend who worked in police and he once told me that environmental inquiry is key to success, actually 99% of success (maybe he exaggerated a bit). If you don't come from criminal world, neither live in suspicious neigbourhood you're close to commiting perfect motiveless murder, because police has nothing to catch on and rarely cases look like in Sherlock Holmes with cigarette ashes and footprints to be found around. You can take your gun, put in in the wardrobe next to panties and live happily for the rest of your life.

Of course things change if you came in contact with the victim.
Pager

Post by Pager »

I'm sure there are ways around that too...but I would imagine if you were going to get close enough to your victim that you make contact, you're dealing with a whole different matter all together. Or even to that matter if you are going out the just shoot someone for the sake of shooting someone you have some deep seeded issues that should probably be sooner rather than later.
Railwaymodeler
Legend

Post by Railwaymodeler »

Starting to sound like my part of Illinois around here!

Thanksgiving in the USA was this past Thursday. Maria, Skoda, and I all went to Maria's mother's house for lunch around 1 in the afternoon.

Then for dinner, we went over to one of our friend's house. He's second in seniority at the bus line, he got most of the drivers over there for Thanksgiving dinner. We figure with everything that has happened this year - Maria and I defeating Pace in court, Skoda being born, a class action suit by other drivers against the company being won (Which, in the end, produced a couple more millionaires of our friends), there was a lot to be thankful for!

Couple of the people that were causing the trouble at Pace, probably had their own Thanksgiving dinner - in the dining hall of a state prison.

Now we approach Christmas, and this year, I seem to have become a toymaker. Couple friends asked me to fix them up with electric train sets for their kids, and for others, I'm also making wooden toys for them too.
Without trains America Stops- Support Amtrak

Old trains never die. They just sit in ruin and wait until the day they are taken in by a skilled craftsman and rebuilt to their former glory.
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

Damn, you lucky blighter! Some day I'd love to find a way to profit from doing AGameAWeek!!! That ain't gonna happen any time soon, not unless sponsors suddenly find a need to pay money for random insanity!

Things that happened last week.
1. I sat on the couch a lot. Still recovering, methinks.
2. I added a simple generic snowfall effect to my PlayMyCode template, thus instantly turning it into a Xmassy Template.
3. I didn't bother making any Xmassy game to go with it.

At this rate, it doesn't look like I'll be doing another Advent Calendar of games, this year. I feel like I could do it, but every time I try to make a game lately, I seem to spend hours looking at a blank screen, and not actually coming up with any games. This is worrying!!!
No matter, there's still a few weeks until Xmas, and I'm sure I can at least come up with something interesting before then.
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

jayenkai wrote:there's still a few weeks until Xmas
You just reminded me about something we need to do at CWF.
Pager

Post by Pager »

jayenkai wrote:Damn, you lucky blighter! Some day I'd love to find a way to profit from doing AGameAWeek!!! That ain't gonna happen any time soon, not unless sponsors suddenly find a need to pay money for random insanity!
go mobile and let the insanity begin.
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Or find insane sponsors.
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

eMTe wrote:
*prepares*
Tormuse
Warhero

Post by Tormuse »

Pager wrote:
jayenkai wrote:Damn, you lucky blighter! Some day I'd love to find a way to profit from doing AGameAWeek!!! That ain't gonna happen any time soon, not unless sponsors suddenly find a need to pay money for random insanity!
go mobile and let the insanity begin.
Just make sure it’s compatible with Android, so I can use it! :D
[size=84]"A Canadian is someone who knows how to make love in a canoe."
Pierre Burton[/size]
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

Making money on mobile is a glorious lottery, whether or not you get featured by Apple on front page or in Top 10 decides your fate.
Do you has what it takes to join the Homestarmy? The guts? The determination? The five bucks? Join today!
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Being featured by Apple will certainly bring money, but I do hope that Jay will choose the bright path of being featured in encyclopedias. ;)
Pater Alf
The Steel Spine of GameHunters

Post by Pater Alf »

jayenkai wrote:
eMTe wrote:
*prepares*
And the X-Mas Platdude made it to my desktop. Thank you, jayenkai!
[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Still fallen off of the planet, I send you greetings.

I have decided to take the tempo off of my current everyday life, and thus hope to find some time to drop by here. I got a lot of work done in the last week, but still there is plenty more where that came from. But there is no need to get it all done at once, when some of it can wait I decided.
ATM I am focusing on the family with a couple of days off from work with them, and of course X-mas coming up.

I like the X-mas theme Jay. If it wasn't because I use my laptop as a worktool too for meetings with clients I would change into it too. I feel I present myself better with my logo and such on my desktop.

On a completely different note. I got to see some of my kids (at work) play a game in development, which inspires mathematical learning. Its calle Gozoa and is being made by a company called COMEplot. Its pretty neat, and so far only in Danish. http://www.gozoa.com/
It was pretty interesting hearing firsthand about their thoughts on making Ipad games. All of a sudden you need to figure new ways to do controls as an example. You cannot just rely on directional keys or space and ctrl or similar. You have to convince the players that there was a reason this was a game for tablets and not for laptops.
Interesting stuff. Made me think about getting more into this line of work at some point - but then again - dont I always think of different lines of work that I would like to get into at some point. A lifetime simply doesn't have enough years!
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain