The little Inn by the wayside

Here you can talk about anything (that isn't related to the other forums).

Moderator: Crew

Railwaymodeler
Legend

Re: The little Inn by the wayside

Post by Railwaymodeler »

They've built buses now for a while. Come to think of it, some of the electric buses out in San Francisco, on the West Coast here, are also Skoda.

Do a Google search, you'll see them. Seems when I did one, they are older designs. Not surprising, as some older American buses end up in South America too. So do old locomotives.
Without trains America Stops- Support Amtrak

Old trains never die. They just sit in ruin and wait until the day they are taken in by a skilled craftsman and rebuilt to their former glory.
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

Like most car manufacturers, Skoda mainly made cars, but like most car manufacturers, they also made a host of other stuff on a bit different name (like Saab Scania and Volvo etc). Of course, since the acquisition of Skoda by VW, things have changed and according to Wikipedia the commercial vehicles are not made under Skoda brand anymore (and, on the other hand, Scania trucks are now owned by VW and Saab is bankrupt and Volvo Cars belongs to Chinese while Volvo trucks are still Swedish and so on).

But yeah, Skoda is a nice name. The name is probably pronounced differently all over the world and in US it probably doesn't have the Soviet Union era connotations of pretty bad quality (like Lada)...

The most important is if the name's written Skoda or Škoda. =)

(Fun fact: the Finnish language has Š but it's rarely used in spelling (it's not found on keyboard for example) (and usually it's written as sh) but a lot in pronunciation).
Do you has what it takes to join the Homestarmy? The guts? The determination? The five bucks? Join today!
Tormuse
Warhero

Post by Tormuse »

Railwaymodeler wrote:Don't know the gender. We decided to leave it as a surprise.
Cheers to that! I have always maintained that if I ever have a kid, I would want the gender to be a surprise.

And I fully endorse the name Skoda! It's not a common name, so it will add to her specialness. :)
[size=84]"A Canadian is someone who knows how to make love in a canoe."
Pierre Burton[/size]
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

I didnt know that Czechoslovakian-period Skoda made buses,the only Skodas that could be seen on Polish streets when I was a kid were 105, 120 and later Favorit. Buses were probably made for internal market only. On the other hand, I never pursued this knowledge.

Speaking of vague topics - are there any modern or discontinued Finnish and Danish car brands?
"As you have noticed over the years, we are not angry people." (itebygur)
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

I hand't heard about Skoda buses either. Anyway, no Finnish car brands. Just Sisu trucks and Valmet tractors.
Do you has what it takes to join the Homestarmy? The guts? The determination? The five bucks? Join today!
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

:) I drive a Skoda. Good, reliable and amazing quality. :)
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain
beatsbydresale
Probably a spambot

Post by beatsbydresale »

Well, this is a funny jokes.
Tormuse
Warhero

Post by Tormuse »

beatsbydresale wrote:Well, this is a funny jokes.
Woo! Spambot! :D
Pierre Burton[/size]
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

Tormuse wrote:
With an avatar! That's a new thing.
Railwaymodeler
Legend

Post by Railwaymodeler »

So tired today. Maria and I were up north over the weekend. We were looking at houses, and think we've found one we like. It's a nice single level house with a basement. Fairly big. Has a master bedroom for her and I, and three more bedrooms. The basement is finished, which is even better. We'd plan to take half of it, for our trains, and the other half as a playroom for the kids (We would like to eventually have two or three).

House is made of brick, which is good, and the inside is rather nice. They're asking $100,000 for it. That isn't a bad price at all, considering that it is on a good chunk of land, is in a quiet area (Closest neighbor is about a quarter mile away), and that it is a fairly new built house.

Today, we're both at my shop. She turned in her resignation with Mega Bus, where she worked for the past couple years after leaving Pace. So far today we've done about $700 of sales, and it isn't even lunchtime yet!

Old trains never die. They just sit in ruin and wait until the day they are taken in by a skilled craftsman and rebuilt to their former glory.
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

I love when good things happen to good people. :)

--Mark Twain
Pager
Winner of CWF review contest!

Post by Pager »

Zyx wrote:
Tormuse wrote:
With an avatar! That's a new thing.
It says they have 2 posts, what else do they have to say? and where?
CWF - Safer than Crack, Twice as Addicting
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

Pager wrote:It says they have 2 posts, what else do they have to say? and where?
That would be here.
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

We have first snow this winter (I dont count miserable falls in December which melted the very same day).

This groundbreaking event deserves virtual glass of wine. :chug:
"As you have noticed over the years, we are not angry people." (itebygur)
Railwaymodeler
Legend

Post by Railwaymodeler »

We got our first snow (That amounted to anything) a few days ago. Now there's about six inches on the ground.

Maria and I are staying in today, it is only slightly above zero Fahrenheit outside today, and quite breezy. We're working on model railroad projects. Being pregnant, she can't do anything under the tabletop or with glues, so I tackle those projects, and she handles more the design and conceptual planning.

Railwaymodeler
Legend

Post by Railwaymodeler »

Hey, I just noticed, that with this post here I am writing right now, there will be 9,997 posts in the Village Square! Three more to go till 10,000!

Pager
Winner of CWF review contest!

Post by Pager »

Number 10,000 will probably be some random spambot too...
CWF - Safer than Crack, Twice as Addicting
Railwaymodeler
Legend

Post by Railwaymodeler »

OK:

Spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam.

Buy cheap model trains, best model trains here.

This should be the 10,000th post, unless a certain spambot gets cleared.

EDIT:
10,000 Posts!
10,000 Posts!
Last edited by Railwaymodeler on Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:08, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added 10,000 Posts Image.

Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

:lol:

Well put Raillo.

We only had snowfalls that disappeared as soon as it hit the ground here. I hope we will get some staying snow soon so they can kill of all the damn germs crawling everywhere here.

I am not sure how much I wrote in here before about the whole cleaning-company issue at my work, but here goes. The whole area (kommune = perhaps municipality) had to offer the cleaning of all public institutions like daycares, schools, old-peoples homes etc up for the best prize and the company that won that contract had no idea what they were going into. We USED to have cleaning staff that was as much part of our coworker-staff if you asked us, as any othe coworker. We knew them by first name, and knew the name of their kids, and if there was ever any little thing to complain about with the cleanign we told them, and they were just fixed it ASAP. That meant that we really cherished our working-situation. Now they couldn't meet the big offer to clean ALL institutions in the area, so they had to leave, and the new team we got just went and got whatever staff they could find. That lead to the highest sickrate at our shool at any given time without doubt. The staff is sick all the time - I have had a runny nose and a sore throat since our fall vacation (week 42 of 2011) and I never have those. Currently I am on penicilum, and things are looking up, but I had both an infected throat and sineces (however spelled).

So to get back on point. I cant wait for the degrees to stay below 0 (celsius will do) here for a while.

--Mark Twain
Tormuse
Warhero

Post by Tormuse »

@RWM, :Clap:
Pierre Burton[/size]