The little Inn by the wayside

Here you can talk about anything (that isn't related to the other forums).

Moderator: Crew

Railwaymodeler
Legend

Re: The little Inn by the wayside

Post by Railwaymodeler »

Another one to add to my list of health problems:

Degenrative disc disorder wasn't enough, nor was adding arthritis to my knees.

Now I have a hernia in my stomach.

Getting hit by a train might be less painful than tonight, where the weather is cold and damp out, and heat is shut off for the season in this building.
Without trains America Stops- Support Amtrak

Old trains never die. They just sit in ruin and wait until the day they are taken in by a skilled craftsman and rebuilt to their former glory.
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Sorry to hear Raillo. You seem to get some hardship in your life...
Hope you feel better. And hardship makes strong!
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain
Pager
Winner of CWF review contest!

Post by Pager »

More house fun this weekend!
Last night Sarah and I were working on getting some of the carpet out of our bedroom to put into the basement (since we were told it was hard wood under the carpet and the carpet was new). So we pulled up the carpet in a section and found that there was water damage in the middle of the floor. But it looked as if the guy had tried to sand it down, but failed miserably. Then we decided to see what was under one of the planks that was loose, so we pried it out and we found a whole freakin' lot of black mold.
So we were pretty much up to 3am taking planks out of the room, then around that time found out that the guy we bought the place from also had decided to do some makeshift plumbing by cutting through the hardwood and subfloor in a square and placed the square back down with a layer of caulking.

On the brighter side of this, it now explains why Sarah and I have been having extreme problems with our allergies, and the planks we did salvage can be used to repair the hardwood we currently have, and the mold did not penetrate the subfloor...which is also hardwood, and is absolutely more beautiful than the hardwood that was covering it...

My parents came down as well today and I finally got to take the bane of my exsistence to the dump...the damned water softener...It felt good to finally get rid of that thing...although I was quite upset that it didn't cause as nearly as much destruction going into the junk pile...at 100kg, it just sort of fell out of the truck and went THUD. and that was it...I think I was expecting a huge explosion like when cars drive off of cliffs in the movies...
CWF - Safer than Crack, Twice as Addicting
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Holy majolly Batman! This house isn't a house its a moldlayer!

Sorry to hear. I can fully imagine what that would do to your allergies (being hyperallergic myself and with a wife that is even worse - not worse than my allergies - worse off with allergies).

I really wish you the best of luck, and it would be cool to see some pics. :)

--Mark Twain
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

My 5th evening run this year, not too far and not too fast (circa 5-7 kms), but I feel ok, so Ill be able to run around 20 kms soon I believe. Cracow is almost flooded (some places are flooded completely in fact) due to heavy rains, so I was running in rain and jumping over large puddles, but I like it much better than running in good weather - less people, deeper contact with nature. Good that I live in safe neighbourhood now and besides 5 minutes of walk from my block lies semi-wild area with flooded former quarry and there are great running/walking/biking paths around it. I almost see my belly disappearing. :D
"As you have noticed over the years, we are not angry people." (itebygur)
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Its funny how many people like running in the rain. I am the same way. And indeed that feeling of being in contact with nature, and the feeling of accomplishment when you complete a drenched run. Amazing!

--Mark Twain
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Must be something primeval. :D
"As you have noticed over the years, we are not angry people." (itebygur)
Chillum
Legend

Post by Chillum »

Hi there folks! Do you remember me? :)
I was wandering down the streets of the internet, and suddenly I remembered the good ol' CWF forum.. I thought to myself, that I might pay you guys a little visit.. To be honest, though, I thought that this place was long gone and abandoned... But what seems like activity here every day proofs me wrong... Which is nice to see of course!
I hope you're all having a good time, both here and in the real life...

I hope to hear from you if I find my way in here once in a while.. :)

Cheers,
Chillum

Oh, of course! BARKEEEEP! Hand be one of your finest beers! ;)
[u][b][color=indigo]:Givemebeer:....................It's a bird! It's a plane! No! It's.....................:Givemebeer:[/color][/b][/u]
[img]http://img506.imageshack.us/img506/3111/banner4gl.gif[/img]

Be sure to check [color=blue][b][url=http://www.lost.eu/336d9]this one[/url][/b][/color] out!
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Hiya Chill. Blast form the past.

I think more or less everyone in here remembers you... We have a new guy or two who might not though.

No CWF is not in any way abandoned, and as you can see our list of games have grown quite a bit, as well as the look and feel of the site.

Maz passes the scepter of coding to Zyx, and ... I think that is pretty much what happened on the crew-front, other than of course Drasir Vel becoming a very active crewmember who seem to have a natural shape to fit into the CWF-crew-mold.

Hope life is treating you pleasantly, and since it is only a quarter past 8 in the morning I will hand you a coffee, convinced that your thirst for beer might have been replaced with a need for coffee. :)
Skål!

--Mark Twain
Chillum
Legend

Post by Chillum »

Yearh probably... Who wouldn't remember that penguin? :)

You do have quite a lot of games nowadays indeed.. And the layout is a little different than what I remember..
Okay so Maz isn't around anymore? Or has he just eased down on his work inhere?

Well I recently lost my job, which in these times really suck.. :/ I sure hope to find another one soon.. But apart from that, I'm doing fine.. :) How about you? And the wife and the daughter?

I guess you're right about that.. :P I was up untill 2 AM-ish last night playing Risk with some friends.. Very nostalgict and still very entertaining.. :)
[u][b][color=indigo]:Givemebeer:....................It's a bird! It's a plane! No! It's.....................:Givemebeer:[/color][/b][/u]

Be sure to check [color=blue][b][url=http://www.lost.eu/336d9]this one[/url][/b][/color] out!
Pager
Winner of CWF review contest!

Post by Pager »

Chroelle wrote: I really wish you the best of luck, and it would be cool to see some pics. :)
Will do. Just need to get some pictures together...Sarah and I keep saying we should have taken pictures before we started doing renovations...but the place was so rough that we just decide to get things done. Still have a long way to go though, so I should be able to get some pics...plus we got a bathroom reno to do in September, so that should be interesting.
CWF - Safer than Crack, Twice as Addicting
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Cool Pager. It's always interesting to see what people are up against with your own eyes.

Chill, Maz more or less had to focus on his personal life, and he only shows up from time to time. He IS missed though. :)

Zyx did a lot to the backend of the site, which makes it unbelievably easy to add games now - so much so that we are actually adding the games now to the site and just not filling out the entire information until we have it validated and ready to uncover. Drasir Vel has been a big part in adding info and making lists, so that has been a welcome help in here, as we were running on few but hardworking horsepowers. :) (I didn't mean to call you horses guys - just trying to say we worked hard, and now DV is taking a load off of our shoulders.:D)

Wife and daughter is great. Anna started kindergarden and just turned 3, and Tanja got a new job doing more or less the same as me without the IT part. I am getting closer and closer to that postition as "kommunal pædagogisk it-rådgiver" as I want. (In English - District-hired IT-consultent for people who work with kids). We sold the apartment and moved into a much smaller place with 1/3 of the rent-output.

Sad to hear you lost your job... Hope you will find somethng else. What kind of job are you looking for?

--Mark Twain
Pater Alf
The Steel Spine of GameHunters

Post by Pater Alf »

Welcome back, Chillum!!! Hope you stay around for a while. And as it is after noon by now, I will hand you a beer. :Cheers:

Is there still noone who is watching the icehockey world championship? Must be the weirdest championship ever. Lots of "small" nations (Denmark, Switzerland, Germany) did more then well in the first matches, so the USA (who came to win the title) had to go to the relegation round and Canada had to face Russia much sooner than expected. Now Canada, Finland and Slowakia are out and Germany is in the half-final for the first time since 1953 (or since 1937 if you consider that in 1953 there were only four participants).
:Yahoo:
Now Germany has to face Russia again and I don't think they will have a chance in that match. But who knows? Whole pressure is on Russia. Germany has nothing to loose. Maybe there's a chance to one more sensation?
[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

Pater Alf wrote:Is there still noone who is watching the icehockey world championship? Must be the weirdest championship ever.
Well, I did, but the Czech's made an end to that... =)
Do you has what it takes to join the Homestarmy? The guts? The determination? The five bucks? Join today!
Chillum
Legend

Post by Chillum »

Well time flies, doesn't it, Chrølle? ;) I'm sorry that you guys had to move to something smaller, but if the old place was more than enough, then you're probably better off with this solution.. Of course, you wouldn't take the decision if it wasn't so.. :rolleyes: But I'm glad you're getting closer to your dream job.. :)

Yearh I hope so too.. I still live at home, though, so it doesn't mean that I'm completely screwed.. :P But as a 21-year old I do have some ways to spend money - especially when Roskilde Festival is coming soon - I sure hope to get a job before that.. I was working at Silvan (For all you non-danes, it's the biggest chain of construction markets in Denmark) where I served customers.. I've really gained a lot of DIY knowledge over the 4 years I worked there.. And also I'm very experienced in selling products to customers.. So I hope to find a similar job in a store like Silvan.. It doesn't have to be a construction market, though.. I'd like a job at an electronics store.. I just hope my experience is enough to get me that kind of job again..
Of course I could start an education, since it's almost a year ago I became student, but I'm not in a hurry.. Besides, I don't know what the heck I'm gonna study anyways :/
But all in all I'm doing fine.. I've got myself a girlfriend aswell, so I don't complain.. :)

Thanks, PA! :)
I have followed the world championship a little, but mostly because, as you mentioned yourself, Denmark have won so many games.. I mean.. We won aginst USA! I'm sure they've got more ice hockey referees there, than we have players here.. :rolleyes:
But it's not really a sport I follow in general.. Football is more for me.. :)
Zyx wrote:
Pater Alf wrote:Is there still noone who is watching the icehockey world championship? Must be the weirdest championship ever.
Well, I did, but the Czech's made an end to that... =)
Oh, and we beat Finland aswell ;)

Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Icehockey never was my kind of thing. But I did kind of follow the results of the Danish team. I think I know one name in Danish Icehockey...

Cool to hear about the GF chill!
We moved to a smaller rental flat because we sold our old apartment, so it's a really good thing, though the buyer did get a very good prize. We are so far liking living in a smaller apartment, but we are fearing the day one of us gets really sick, and there are only Annas room, the bathroom and the small kitchen the heatlhy party and Anna can go in to, so the ill party can get some rest.

--Mark Twain
Chillum
Legend

Post by Chillum »

I don't even know a name.. :P I've seen one entire ice hockey game in my life, and that was because I'd got some free tickets.. It was Rødovre Mighty Bulls agains.. Ehm.. Esbjerg I think.. Rødovre (which has one of the best danish teams, and besides that is a town very nearby me) won.. :)

Yearh that's pretty awesome.. :)
Oh, I missed that part.. So now you actually have a lot of money in your hands, you can play with :D Or, the less funny one, save.. :rolleyes: How big was the price reduction on your old apartment then?
That sounds kinda like a quite small problem you have there.. :) I mean, it's almost impossible not to infect people you're living with if you get sick (with the flu or something). That's the case in my home at least.. :) I live in a house with 3 rooms, big entry, kichen, a bit living room AND a basement, and if someone's sick then we're pretty sure that we all become sick.. :rolleyes:

Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Well if we are talking the original prize that we set when we first talked about selling then that was 1,750,000 dkr. and when we sold it was for 840.000, so we lost a bit there. We did however only buy the place for 860.000 ourselves, but we did alot of renewing as you propably know (kitchen and all) so we lost around 250.000 living there. So it is the less fun one of 1. repaying loanes 2. saving 3. having fun.
The prize was set at 950.000 when we found a buyer, who suggested 740.000, so that gives you an idea of how the whole sale went, and what the real estate market is in Denmark if someone doesn't know.

--Mark Twain
Chillum
Legend

Post by Chillum »

Wow! That really is quite a lot of money! It really sucks that it has been one big expense for you guys to live there.. But how did you sell it? Did you do it yourselves, or did you use a realtor?
But yearh.. The way the real estate market in Denmark is at the moment, being the seller isn't funny at all.. If you could afford to live there for another two years or something, I'm sure you could easily get 1,500,000 for it, given that the market probably changes relatively soon...

Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Well everything is relative... :)
It's not an owner but an "andel".
We used a realtor, and that cost us around 80k.

--Mark Twain