The little Inn by the wayside

Here you can talk about anything (that isn't related to the other forums).

Moderator: Crew

Pater Alf
The Steel Spine of GameHunters

Re: The little Inn by the wayside

Post by Pater Alf »

Maybe you should at least tell us whose birthday is today. The you won't look that stupid anymore... :mrgreen:

But I assume it is Maz and so I say:Happy birthday, Maz!!! :cake:

Hope you are fine and you have a nice day with your family and your friends. Would be great to see you around more often around here again!
[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

*Chroelle enters bar - waves at nutjob standing in the corner shouting and grabs a beer...*
You forgot to write a name in your post on friday, so who had a B-day that I didn't notice due to hard work-week...
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Still wondering who's birthday it was some time ago... (2-3 posts up). Was it Maz?

Had my daughters 3 years birthday yesterday where the family came. Great thing! Lots of great presents and lots of good cake. I baked my regular rolls, which are quite popular. (Didn't know your admin was a skilled baker now did you?)
A blast of a day.
Today we meet again on a more depressing note, as my stepmothers dad is being buried. He was 94 and was hit with dementia, so it wasn't sudden. Afterwards we'll have a wake which will propably be great fun - they tend to be in my family.

Hope everyone is doing well otherwise. I am training for my first ever half-marathon which will be on the 18th of April. Really looking forward to it. Also looking forward to some Easterholidays coming up this friday. 10 days off!

--Mark Twain
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

Yes, it was Maz's birthday last week (as you can also see in my former post). Haven't seen him around for a while. Do you know if he's doing well?

I had a great weekend (it started on wednesday which alone should be great enough). As every march the yearly book fair was in town, bringing along Europe's biggest literature festival with more than 2000 readings throughout the whole city. They are wherever you can imagine: In pubs, in shops, in train stations, in the zoo, in the city hall, in churches, in brothels, etc...
Had great fun, but I think that was enough literature for the next few weeks.

I will run my next half-marathon on the 25th of April. Yet I'm not in the shape I hoped to be, so I hope it will be going well.

And last, but not least: Happy birthday, Anna!!! :Birthday:
[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Of course it was Maz, but I was in the mood for cryptic messages it seems. Sory. :D

I was outdoor throughout the weekend, because spring suddenly hit us and even if it's around zero at nights days are warm (circa 15 degrees) and it quickly gets very springtimish. Time to grease the bike!
"As you have noticed over the years, we are not angry people." (itebygur)
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Thanks for the wishes PA. :)

We are very close to selling our apartment, so I might be a bit distracted in the coming month. The buyer should have signed firday but something came up and yesterday he had to go on an emergency business meeting in another country, so we are getting suspicious if the deal is falling through. He is however VERY interested in the place, so we think it is still a go. We have found a new place to move into already in the same apartment system. We are leaving 114 squaremeters with a kitchen-livingroom of 30 squaremeters (which some might remember I built myself) a living room of about the same and a bedroom with an office corner, and Anna had a small room for herself - where she never is when awake... And we are now moving into 68 squaremeters where we will have a small kitchen, a nice Livingroom/diningroom/bedroom of about 30 squaremeters, and Anna gets a HUGE room for herself, where by god she will spend more time!!! :)
My new office will be on the dining table... Might set something up so I can move it over to the couch. :)

I have parent-talks all day today and I am sitting here getting prepared for them, and I also have that on thursday, so my run on sunday is in danger of being an unprepared one... :) Thank god it is only 10 clicks. :) (I didn't say that a year ago - only 10).

--Mark Twain
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

You are moving into an apartment that is about 45 squaremetres smaller than your old one??? I forgot about the reasons, but that's quite unusual (especially with a child)... :wondering:
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Bigger doesnt always mean better. Usually means higher maintenance costs and much unused space. Besides, some people (including me) tend to feel more comfortable in small, slightly messy, spaces. Of course it's very different when you have family and plan to have more kids and probably not the case here, but topic made me to digress a bit. ;)
"As you have noticed over the years, we are not angry people." (itebygur)
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

eMTe wrote:Bigger doesnt always mean better. Usually means higher maintenance costs and much unused space.
Exactly. We will save 1,100 EUR a month on moving. We cannot afford living in the old apartment due to the crisis. Our interest went through the roof and made it impossible for us to pay off our loans. So we are only paying interest, and that just keeps us on a knifes edge of going bankrupt at some point. So we move. :)
And it is going to be so much easier to keep clean, and afford simple things like restaurant visits, travels and goods. And we are generating savings all along, so we can actually end up being able to buy a house years in the future. :)

--Mark Twain
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

Ok, very understandable then. I just wondered, because you wrote about huge rooms. I have 68 squaremetres as well and I can't see any huge rooms here. On the other hand, they are probably huge regarded through the eyes of a small child (like Anna). And when I look at my apartment it is certainly still big enough to live there with a small family.
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

Chroelle wrote:And we are now moving into 68 squaremeters
Pater Alf wrote:I have 68 squaremetres
OMG. My apartment is also 68 square meters. This is a conspiracy.
Do you has what it takes to join the Homestarmy? The guts? The determination? The five bucks? Join today!
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

And it seems to be worldwide... :O

Or it might just be pretty good numbers for an apartment...

Huge was indeed to be seen as though the eyes of Anna, who has so far had a room with about 1½ squaremeter floorspace available for playing. Now she will have more than double that. And there will be lots of room for toys on shelves and in cupboards etc. The livingroom however wont inspire childsplay though. Way too little floorspace in there when everything is moved in.

--Mark Twain
SFault
Tycoon

Post by SFault »

Zyx wrote:
Chroelle wrote:And we are now moving into 68 squaremeters
Pater Alf wrote:I have 68 squaremetres
OMG. My apartment is also 68 square meters. This is a conspiracy.
Mine's only 34 :(

Perhaps I should make it a two flatter to double the space.
Segmentation fault
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Good news and bad news.

Bad news: I went to the doctor after having had some pains while running and he told me I had runners knee, so no halfmarathon for me this time around... :( Also no run on sunday with my brother and brothers-in-law.

Good news: The buyer of our apartment signed this morning, so we are moving to the new place soon. Next 10 days I am off work, and those days will be spent packing boxes I believe. :)

--Mark Twain
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

Chroelle wrote:Bad news: I went to the doctor after having had some pains while running and he told me I had runners knee, so no halfmarathon for me this time around... :( Also no run on sunday with my brother and brothers-in-law.
Oh well. Is it because of a bad running shoe or just a bum knee?

In other CWF Running / Drinking Team news, I'll be attending Marathon du Medoc this year.
Do you has what it takes to join the Homestarmy? The guts? The determination? The five bucks? Join today!
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

A little bit of everything I believe. Couldn't afford new running shoes this january, so thought I would buy some in the next month before the big run, but I was too late. Also my knee has always acted just a little weird, and my doctor actually asked me wether I had a sports injury there already... So I think the Karma police just hit me.

The Maraton du Medoc sounds interesting. No entry without fancy dress costumes...

--Mark Twain
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

Chroelle wrote: Bad news: I went to the doctor after having had some pains while running and he told me I had runners knee, so no halfmarathon for me this time around... :( Also no run on sunday with my brother and brothers-in-law.
That's why you shouldn't go to the doctor. They always tell you bad news... :(

How long will it take before you're allowed to run again?

@Zyx
Not bad! Have you run a marathonbefore or will it be your first one?
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

Pater Alf wrote:Not bad! Have you run a marathonbefore or will it be your first one?
Yep, this is the first. Fortunately this particular run has a target time of 8 hours =)
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

8 hours sound doable. Even if you don't run, but walk instead. Of course you shouldn't start drinking wine while doing so...;)

Any personal target time?
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Pater Alf wrote: How long will it take before you're allowed to run again?
Well the doctor told me that I could do some biking and keep my form, but when my knee stopped hurting when I run (run in this case means after the bus or alongside Anna) then I could start thinking about running short distances no more than 4 km's at first. He recommended 3 km routes... Which is almost like running to catch the bus to me now...
Also he told me that if I wanted to do longer runs again then I should run all year around instead of going on my winterbreak, so that was already in my plans - which was why I started my season earlier this year.

When is your next run? And Zyx: Do you run other runs as well - some that might or might not include beverages...?

--Mark Twain