What Are You Listening To?

Here you can talk about anything (that isn't related to the other forums).

Moderator: Crew

eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Re: What Are You Listening To?

Post by eMTe »

Yup, but Misplaced Childhood isnt a very good album, Clutching at Straws is much better as a whole.
"As you have noticed over the years, we are not angry people." (itebygur)
Pater Alf
The Steel Spine of GameHunters

Post by Pater Alf »

We have very different tastes here. "Misplaced Childhood" is by far my favourite album of Marillion and one of my all-time favourites.

At the moment I'm listening to a lot of German independent bands from the late 80s and early 90s. "Kissin' Cousins", "Der Schwarze Kanal", "Kolossale Jugend", "Halleluja Ding Dong Happy Happy", "Ostzonensuppenwürfelmachenkrebs", "Lassie Singers" and "Blumfeld" just to name a few of them. Quite interesting how they mixed a lot of different styles (Post-Punk, Electro, Pop, Folk, Rock etc.) and came up with lyrics ranging from political and social over slice of life to complete nonsense and dadaism. Much more innovative than today's independent bands (at least in Germany). It's a pity that most of them stayed completely unsuccessful and are more or less forgotten these days (even if they influenced later bands a lot).

And I can tell you it's pretty hard to get some of the old records (especially if you want them on Vinyl).
[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Pater Alf wrote:"Kissin' Cousins", "Der Schwarze Kanal", "Kolossale Jugend", "Halleluja Ding Dong Happy Happy", "Ostzonensuppenwürfelmachenkrebs", "Lassie Singers" and "Blumfeld"
Hm. From this list I think I heard only the name "Blumfeld", but I am not quite sure even of it. I am pretty acquainted with German independent music, but it is either the hippie era (Can, Amon Duul etc.) or electronica (Kraftwerk, Tangerine Dream and modern artists promoted by Morr Music) or darkwave/gothic (Diary of Dreams, Deine Lakaien, Project Pitchfork etc.), but all above are well-known bands. Oh, and I of course know The Notwist. :) As for the ones you mentioned - just like I said - my memory cells dont respond to these names.
Scythe
Winner of CWF review contest!

Post by Scythe »

Indeed Blumfeld sounds vaguely familiar to me too.
Pater Alf
The Steel Spine of GameHunters

Post by Pater Alf »

Yes, Blumfeld is the only one of the bands I mentioned that became known to a greater audience. Most of the other bands are completely unknown to about 99 out of 100 people even in Germany.
[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]
Drasir-Vel
[insert custom title here]

Post by Drasir-Vel »

For some weird reason i've listened to this for a while:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9eAKcE0Mnc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCiXKdatuRs
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

GOD I HOPE ITS AN APRILS FOOL THING!!!!
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

I have been listening to this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

Also, did you know you can get YouTube Collection as DVDs delivered to your home?
Do you has what it takes to join the Homestarmy? The guts? The determination? The five bucks? Join today!
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Always nice with some R&R.

--Mark Twain
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Still the best DS recording, unfortunately not too radio friendly, so largely unknown to mass audience.
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

I've found, as I got older, that I like earlier Dire Straits better, but when I was young I was hooked on that album.
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Yup, music loses some power when you get older. Musicians themselves also get calmer when they get old. Knopfler and Gilmour come as the first ones to my mind. Anyway, Knopfler is like wine - the older the better. Shangri-La is probably his best album.

On another note, because this topic is about what your ears hear at the very moment: ;)

eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

There are still bands who are capable of delivering true music. Remedy for various Coldplays and Adeles:

Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

I've been listening to a lot more ROCK these last days - and a friend of mine is the guitarist in this unfortunately recently dissolved rockband. This is propably their most famous single. :Headbang: :guitar:

--Mark Twain
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Recently Ive discovered that videos of forgotten English band Caravan had begun to appear on YouTube. So I spent some time of day listening to various pieces, some previously uknown to me. It doesn't apply to these renowned tracks of course:

jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

Recently purchased His n Hers, and Different Class (both by Pulp) Deluxe Editions on iTunes. They both come with second albums full of B Sides, and unreleased tracks, which is nice. I've given each album a single playthrough, and will probably ignore them just as much as every other album I've bought from iTunes... That is, ignored until I buy a new iPod/other iPhing, then listen to all my albums using the wonderful iTunes Cloud, then swiftly ignore it all again until next time..
So goes my audio habits!

Instead of listening to the music I've spent money on, I tend to listen to a radio show called Crap From The Past, a weekly trip down memory lane.
The host of the show has been doing it once a week for over 20 years, and has amazingly avoided the wrath of the RIAA, placing each and every episode of his show online, over at archive.org. Every song, every jingle, everything!
The whole lot is available from this fantastic archive page, with the green highlighted shows being his personal favourites.
All streamable, all available, all free, awesome!
Highly recommended, and has kept me sane over the past few months!
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

I've fallen in love with Pet Shop Boys all over again... don't say that I don't have diverse tastes in music.
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

PSB is probably the only mainstream dance/disco-oriented band which succesfully incorporated jazzy elements into their music. I always liked them, especially their older recordings.
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

I've been listening to this for several weeks now.
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Looks like a video to watch, unfortunately I never have time/patience to watch the whole concert of any band in one go.

As for the topic - I made myself an evening with greatest hits by Talking Heads, Supertramp, Talk Talk and similar bands. Every couple of months I catch mood for them.