What Are You Listening To?

Here you can talk about anything (that isn't related to the other forums).

Moderator: Crew

eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

I listen to everything, from Mozart to Mouse on Mars, so it's pretty useless to write anything in here.

I have as eclectic tastes as you can only imagine. ;)

Most often I have mood for 4AD-like music, Dead Can Dance, Cocteau Twins and alikes, but you cant listen to same pieces over and over again. ;)

As for Across The Universe I'm not great Lennon fan and always liked McCartney more. Not because he's greater personality, but because he wrote more great songs (arguable). He was the melodic/songy beatle, Lennon was experimental/folky one. I'm not the one to judge what worked best, but I feel Macca managed to write more memorable pieces and Lennon ones were overproduced, especially later ones. One of the greatest music ever written, called Dear Prudence, sounds worse than everything recorded by other bands in 1968. It's great song, but it's hard to listen from original record. Maccas songs, contrary, usually sound ok. Lennon and Georgie always wanted too much hippie/psychedelic sound to their songs, that's my opinion.
"As you have noticed over the years, we are not angry people." (itebygur)
Scythe
Winner of CWF review contest!

Post by Scythe »

Pager

Post by Pager »

SkaDaddyZ cover of Hotel California.

As far as songs covered by a ska band, this one is one of the better.
CWF - Safer than Crack, Twice as Addicting
Railwaymodeler
Legend

Post by Railwaymodeler »

Now spinning at 78 RPM, is Artie Shaw's instrumental 'Moonglow'

For every one CD I have here, I got at least 20 bakelite 78 RPM records.
Without trains America Stops- Support Amtrak

Old trains never die. They just sit in ruin and wait until the day they are taken in by a skilled craftsman and rebuilt to their former glory.
Drasir-Vel
[insert custom title here]

Post by Drasir-Vel »

Just stumbled over this song from Heartek, when looking through the stuff at Remix.Kwed.Org.
http://remix.kwed.org/download.php/4125 ... d%20II.mp3
I think it sounds great :)
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Then you will love some of his other songs too. High quality and it put some of my prejudices to the ground regarding Italian singers.
http://www.myspace.com/heartek
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain
Railwaymodeler
Legend

Post by Railwaymodeler »

Right now on 78 RPM record, Lawrence Welk's 'Sweet Eloise' is playing.

Now since last posting in here, my 78 RPM record, to CD ratio is about 100 to 1.
:-)
Without trains America Stops- Support Amtrak

Old trains never die. They just sit in ruin and wait until the day they are taken in by a skilled craftsman and rebuilt to their former glory.
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Re: What Are You Listening To?

Post by Zyx »

Time to wake up this thread as the second Indie Game Music Bundle is up. There are some pretty great soundtracks in this bunch. I really dig Jamestown's and Machinarium's soundtracks and those are the only soundtracks in the bunch that I know so the rest might be even more amazing (even though I really doubt that).

Like the other bundles that are in vogue these days, you can name your own price. Drop more than $10 and you'll get access to (at least) 14 game soundtracks!

As for other soundtracks not in this bundle, I'm really blown away by Bastion's and Frozen Synapse's soundtracks.

I'm not too fond of the Hans Zimmer-esque soundtracks the mainstream games seem to go for these days, and the variety of genres in these indie soundtracks are only surpassed by their quality.

Also... Pink Floyd's remasters of their definitive albums have finally beyond any doubt justified the money I put into my new speakers.
Do you has what it takes to join the Homestarmy? The guts? The determination? The five bucks? Join today!
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

I made a topic like this 5 years ago? Interesting. I've been listening to Weird Al Yankovic's Polka tracks lately... That's about as low as you can go, I suppose. ;) Bohemian Polka...
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Zyx wrote:Pink Floyd's remasters of their definitive albums have finally beyond any doubt justified the money I put into my new speakers.
These guys know how to make money...

Truly, Im not a meloman or fan of remasters, but if this remaster and your speakers can prove that it's possible to hear Stephane Grappelli playing violin towards the end of Wish You Were Here...
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

eMTe wrote:Truly, Im not a meloman or fan of remasters, but if this remaster and your speakers can prove that it's possible to hear Stephane Grappelli playing violin towards the end of Wish You Were Here...
Wikipedia wrote:As part of the Why Pink Floyd...? campaign, the Experience and Immersion versions of the Wish You Were Here album include an alternate version of the song which includes a violin part played by Stephane Grappelli, which was not used on the album version, though a tiny bit of the violin part can be heard as the song fades out.
Do you has what it takes to join the Homestarmy? The guts? The determination? The five bucks? Join today!
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

One should never forget about classics:

Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

I always loved this one better than the actual theme song. It was used when Tubbs (which makes it weird that they named it after the other lead) lost a lady (VAlerie?) who got killed by a druglord named Calderone. He is sitting on the docks looking over the water and remembering the times he had with her... AMAZING (even for the eighties).

--Mark Twain
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

Funny, I got both Crockett's Theme and Tubbs and Valerie on my playlist. What Jan Hammer did for that show was amazing.
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Sure was amazing. I wonder if he still does stuff like that, or if he changed his style over the years.
Currently I am listening to this:

Sorry to say but I was made aware of the song during X-factor the other day. Amazing song. There are so many good songs that I discovered through the song contests this year. We have had both X-factor and Voice running ove the Danish screens this winter/fall. LOTS of good and not so popular music. I got some real gems down on my Spotify playlist. :)

--Mark Twain
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

At the moment this one:

But not from Youtube, from the original "Chronicles". Yep, I still have some records.

Only 28 pieces to go.
Drasir-Vel
[insert custom title here]

Post by Drasir-Vel »

Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

I liked the Paragon one. :)

--Mark Twain
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

As for classics...

This song is so similar to Lavender in structure, melody and overall atmosphere that I often find myself puzzled with a question which one is better. Anyway, I love both.
Pater Alf
The Steel Spine of GameHunters

Post by Pater Alf »

Ah, "Marillion", I still love their first albums. In my eyes you can't regard "Lavender" as a standalone song. It's part of the concept album "Misplaced Childhood", which is in fact one long song (with repeating structures in melody and lyrics throughout the whole album).
[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]