Cinema

Here you can talk about anything (that isn't related to the other forums).

Moderator: Crew

Tank
[insert custom title here]

Post by Tank »

Totenkopf is quite simply skull.

I remember Sky Captain... Watched it some years ago in the cinema. I really did not the movie. Though I liked the (technical) way it was done.
German Moderator and Game Hunter Trainee.
Enjoy your stay.
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

I know what Totenkopf means, but what was his name in the German translation. :lol:
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain
Tank
[insert custom title here]

Post by Tank »

Ok, didn't get that :D
Well, to be honest I don't remember. It's been quite a few years :)

I'll watch Tarantino's Death Proof in a few hours. Looking very forward to it.

<-- Great Tarantino fan :oops:
German Moderator and Game Hunter Trainee.
Enjoy your stay.
Pager
Winner of CWF review contest!

Post by Pager »

I went and saw The Simpsons Movie a few weeks ago. It was HILARIOUS!!

Besides the movie being a riot, I thought it was a great experience. It was the first time I had ever been to the theatre when people were exploding out in laughter so often. :lol:

Good times.
CWF - Safer than Crack, Twice as Addicting
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

Resident Evil: Extinction
You knew it would suck, and you were absolutely right. How about no plot (as in none), just Milla Jovovich kicking ass for 90 minutes? Except for the 30 minutes where the supporting cast gets eaten by zombies, that is.

As a fan of the Resident Evil games, these movies get worse and worse. It's name-dropping from the games, a few creatures from the games and Milla Jovovich playing Superwoman. I laughed out loud once, at a moment in the beginning of the movie where they actually put in an honest to God Prince of Persia trap! You remember, the one where you're cut in half by these "schwing-schwing" blades? Yeah, that's the one. Oh lord....

The trailer for 30 Days of Night looked pretty cool...
Pager

Post by Pager »

I broke out in hysterical laughing at the part when Milla shows up during the crow attack and controls the fire.

I did go and see 30 days of night.
I was rather disappointed by this movie, and was not able to stay focused on what was going on. Rather unfortunate really. It seemed to me to follow the same formula throughout...let's try this, someone dies, let's try this, someone dies...

Other people I went with found it scary though, but not I, I burst out laughing during the child vampire death scene...causing everyone around me to gasp and say that I was disturbed. But really, it was a ridiculous scene, only added for it's shock value.
Pater Alf
The Steel Spine of GameHunters

Post by Pater Alf »

Better read the comic by Steve Niles and Ben Templesmith instead. I think you will be more entertained by that (at least with the first series - after that it' more or less always the same)...
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

I've given up on comic books almost completely. I just don't feel like reading them any more. I just like seeing them in motion, preferably without having read them, so I'm not disappointed. ;)

Anyway, the trailer for that Stephen King adaptation with the haunted hotel room looked kinda interesting as well. I forget the name, as it was the room number...
Pager

Post by Pager »

1408? It's already on DVD here. My folks went and saw it in theatre, and it apparently scared the daylights outta 'em.
I've been waiting patiently to see it...probably won't get to buy it until I get into a more permanent living space.
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

Well... Europe, you know. We get things six months later if it isn't big name brands.
Pager

Post by Pager »

...and video formats is a bit of a pain as well, or I'd be buying this stuff and sending it to you guys... :lol:
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

Scythe wrote:Well... Europe, you know. We get things six months later if it isn't big name brands.
Not that bad if you ask me (in many cases you've heard something about the quality of the movies in that time and don't have to waste your money for movies that might suck). And I'm pretty sure that the people from North America will miss more great movies from Europe (because they are not shown there at all) than we will miss from America...
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

It's bad when you simply don't get the stuff, because it's niche movies and nobody wants to take a chance on it... Stuff like I go to watch at the annual film festival, but that's once a year of tightly packed movies that I otherwise would never get to see.
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

As our card game was canceled I went to see this. It wasn't half bad. Far better than I'd expected from reviews and what have you. Really solid acting. Predictable at times, and slightly far fetched. Somewhat unsatisfying ending. But there were good things in there as well. Certainly a cut above the usual Stephen King adaptations. I had some good chills.

And hey Pager, I can play NTSC just fine on my DVD player. ;) Sadly not on my X360, so I can't get super high quality. Not that I'm asking you to send me anything, I don't have trouble finding stuff on eBay. :D
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

Just came back from the cinema where I watched a Romanian movie called "4 months, 3 weeks, 2 days".

It's about a student girl who has to do / decides to do an abortion in Romania back in 1987 when it was highly illegal. Movie was made under the Dogma-rules (created by Lars von Trier and Thomas Vinterberg) and I don't think I ever saw anything that made me feel that sick inside a cinema. A three-minute-close-up of the aborted embryo lying dead on the floor (felt like an hour) nearly made me throw up.

Can't even tell if that was a good or a bad movie, but the fact that it was able to cause that strong feelings inside me probably made it a good one (even if I don't think it can be judged in that categories).

God, I don't think I will get much sleep tonight...
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

I saw Babel two days ago, and decided to share my oppinion of it. I was actually a bit causious with this one, as I was highly expectant of Crash (similar type of film - peoples lifes crossing unexpected) and was a little disappointed at that. I think Babel was a good movie, with lots of GREAT details. When Brad Pitt finally gets help for his wife and he says thanks to the native guy who helped him and offered him shelter...Fine little detail that comes into play just there. And so many things in that movie had that sort of detail... It is amazing how well the director caught some typical western behaviour in very small details.
This is not a movie for my top ten or even close, but it is definetly on my I LIKE IT list.
Worth a viewing if you haven't already...
Last edited by Chroelle on Tue Nov 20, 2007 22:29, edited 1 time in total.

--Mark Twain
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

Tideland

Strange and disturbing movie. Very bizarre and very morbid, but of great visual brilliance. Not Terry Gilliams best movie, but much better than the disapointing "The Brothers Grimm" (even if I don't think that was Gilliams fault).
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

I finally got to see 30 Days of Night. The thing about listening to other peoples' opinions, reading reviews, etc. is that you end up with certain preconceptions and expectations. I'm pleased to say that this time that turned out to make this movie a very pleasant surprise. I totally loved it! Yeah, yeah, not every moment of it, but so very many scenes were just the right thing in my book. The whole visual side struck a nerve with me.

Now, Pager is hardcore, so he went the cynical route ;), but me, I was innocent enough to let it grab me by the throat and run like the wind (I was laughing at the child scene too, but gleeful laughter - most of the movie was pure glee to me, not horror, childish, wonderful glee).

Now, I don't know if this is because I haven't read the comic, but I don't exactly feel inspired to do so, I thought this medium was just fine. On the other hand, I did go and buy some comic books, for the first time in several years, when I saw these Astonishing X-Men graphic novels, and noticed that Joss Whedon was credited as writer. They... are... fantastic! You can tell this is the guy who wrote Buffy and Angel... I hope they continue to make more of these as graphic novels, 'cos buying single issues doesn't appeal to me. Though I might, because, holy crap, Joss Whedon!
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Big fan of Josh myself too. What are these graphical novels you speak of. Do you have a link? I might want to invest:D

--Mark Twain
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

These are not really graphic novels, but the tradpaperbackes of the regular series "Astonishing X-Men" Vol. 3. But I have to agree: It is great stuff if you like superheroes (and I don't even like the X-Men).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astonishing_X-Men (beware of spoilers!)