Cinema

Here you can talk about anything (that isn't related to the other forums).

Moderator: Crew

Scythe
Winner of CWF review contest!

Post by Scythe »

Sorry I'm not into the comic book lingo. ;) Trade paperbacks then. In any case, they're awesome! :D
Pater Alf
The Steel Spine of GameHunters

Post by Pater Alf »

The Astronaut Farmer

Movie about a man who wants to become an astronaut and builds his own rocket in a barn on his farm. Regarded from a realistic point of view this is a very mediocre movie full of clichés and kitsch. On the other hand, christmas is getting near (just two more weeks ago) and isn't that the time of the year where we should forget about social reality for a while and believe in the power of our dreams?
So it might have to do wit the christmas mood, but I liked this movie (in fact it had some great scenes) and it reminded me once more what Dolby Surround Sound was invented for. The sound effects when the rocket finally started were simply great (the whole cinema was shaking).
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

Went to see The Golden Compass. Little did I realize that it was a children's movie until caught in the trap. Grossly misrepresented in this country (or I wasn't paying any attention). Take your just-shy-of-their-teens kids to see this. It was a waste of my time, not to mention my money. Or my friend's money - not my turn to pay. :p
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

I must say you are right bout misrepresentation. I didn't realize it was a kiddimovie either, and I am usually very well informed about kids movies (working with kids and all).
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain
moshboy

Post by moshboy »

Only movie that appeals to me at the moment is I Am Legend. So hopefully I will see that as soon as it comes out here.

Saw Planet Terror and that was an absolute blast...
Tank
[insert custom title here]

Post by Tank »

I was in the sneak preview of Eastern Promises today. It was actually a good movie. A bit brutal but well done. To be honest, the ending was very disappointing since there was no "real" ending (hard to describe without telling any spoilers).
Recommendation: yes with some reservation.

Plot outline:
IMDB wrote:"The film follows the mysterious and ruthless Nikolai (Viggo Mortensen), who is tied to one of London's most notorious organized crime families. His carefully maintained existence is jarred when he crosses paths with Anna (Naomi Watts), an innocent midwife trying to right a wrong, who accidentally uncovers potential evidence against the family. Now Nikolai must put into motion a harrowing chain of murder, deceit, and retribution.
Link to IMDb
German Moderator and Game Hunter Trainee.
Enjoy your stay.
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

Wow. That one was in the cinema "long" ago here. I guess Viggo's movies get to Denmark quickly, just because we think he remembers being somewhat Danish. :lol:
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

Once

Low-budget movie about love. And about music. About love and music, musicians and lovers, love between musicians, love for music, love through music and musicians as lovers. And about Ireland...

Great actors and great soundtrack and a story that starts in the middle of nowhere and ends there as well. Not the worst way to spend 2 hours.

P.S.: Did I mention love and music... ;)

Khadak

Sorry, but I don't get it! Director might be the mongolian David Lynch, as there were lots of surealistic dream sequences and I have no idea what they should tell me...
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

I saw The Touch yesterday. Micheelle Yeoh and Ben Chaplin (?) in a hong kong karate type b-movie. Well you gotta do something when you are home sick.
It wasn't that entertaining, and I dont know if it was the fever or the movie that made me dose of for 5-10 minutes in the middle. You should really be a fan of the genre if you watch this (Scythe?) though Michelle Yeoh is always easy on the eyes.

--Mark Twain
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

Never heard of it. How old is it?

Well, I saw AvP2. :lol: Let's see, we had a kid give birth to an alien, an alien snacking on a maternity ward (implied), alien throat rape of a pregnant woman, followed by same woman giving birth to multiple aliens. This movie was a study in bad taste and breaking down what barriers are left, I guess. Oh, and it was about as bad as could be expected. I lol'ed.
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

The Touch is from 2002.

AvP2 was never on my to-watch-list. :D
I wasn't that pleased with the first one.

--Mark Twain
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

Oh, too new for me to know it, then. :p

I'll watch anything that has "Alien" or "Predator" in it. :lol:
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Didn't say I wouldn't :lol: :D
I loved Predator 2! And Alien 4. Wasn't too keen on Aliens (2) and 3.

--Mark Twain
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

How funny. I love Predator 1 and Aliens + 3, but wasn't too keen on Pred 2 or Alien 4. :D Doesn't mean I haven't seen them a couple of times though. :lol:
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

El Orfanato (The Orphanage)

Normally I'm hard to scare, but 20 minutes after this movie started you would've found me crouched in my seat, biting at my fingernails. It was the scariest movie I have seen for years.

"El Orfanato" was produces by Guillermodel Toro (Pan's Labyrinth) and you can clearly see his visual influence. Regarding the story there was nothing that you wouldn't have seen in other horror/suspense movies before (and I mean absolut nothing), but the director (Juan Antonio Bayona) uses simple arcustic and visual tricks to create a spooky atmosphere and scare the hell out ot his audience.

Another proof that you don't need tons of blood and gore, the real horror is inside your head.

P.S.: God, I was so scared that I was even afraid to take my bike down to the cellar when I was back home...
Pager

Post by Pager »

I saw Strange Wilderness with Steve Zahn the other day and have come to the realization that the people in this city have no sense of humour. My Girlfriend and I were busting our guts laughing, and no one else in the entire place seemed to get it.

It was simple comedy, but you also had to know that what was going on the movie and the facts that were expressed were not true in order to get it, and I think that was it, I don't think anyone there could actually think.

If you want a laugh, see it.
CWF - Safer than Crack, Twice as Addicting
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

This thread came in very handy yesterday. My girlfriend suggested that we went in to see The orphinage and I could show her PA's post and we instead went in to see American Gangster.
Two strong leads and a great plot (though windy and long) made one heck of a good movie-experience. Recommended to all that can sit still in a cinema for close to 3 hours. Loved the ending!

--Mark Twain
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

What the hell...

You missed "The Orphanage"??? You should go and see it as well. It's really a great movie, even if it's totally spooky... :scared:
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Ive found Convoy recently and hurried to watch it cause I watched it as 5 or 6 old boy and all I remembered is that I loved these huge trucks and long desert roads. I didnt get the plot then, so now it was a totally different experience. :D This is Sam Peckinpah at his crappiest and good memories were spoiled. :D

I never watch new movies, so I dont know if it's new or not (and i'm too lazy to check imdb now :P ), but I plan to watch Blood Diamond. Heard it's a decent movie.
"As you have noticed over the years, we are not angry people." (itebygur)
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

Chroelle wrote:This thread came in very handy yesterday. My girlfriend suggested that we went in to see The orphinage and I could show her PA's post and we instead went in to see American Gangster.
American Gangster has also the coveted Zyx Seal of Approval. :P
Two strong leads and a great plot (though windy and long) made one heck of a good movie-experience.

I thought Washington did a superb job, but Crowe was just acting himself (again).
Do you has what it takes to join the Homestarmy? The guts? The determination? The five bucks? Join today!