Cinema

Here you can talk about anything (that isn't related to the other forums).

Moderator: Crew

Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Re: Cinema

Post by Chroelle »

We rented movies for a while in the period where we didn't have TV-signal and Internet. Most loved was The Fighter, though I did watch a few other great ones. I was positively surprised by The Beaver, also by Company Men and a Danish movie Dirch about a legendary Danish comedian Dirch Passer.
An example. Perhaps its hard to understand but you have to study the mimic and voicing of this guy. And of course the reaction of the audience says a lot too.
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain
Pater Alf
The Steel Spine of GameHunters

Post by Pater Alf »

Ted
A typical buddy movie with the only difference that they used a teddy instead of a human buddy. Certainly not the best comedy in years (as some people say), but the basic idea is good fun for 90minutes and the vulgar teddybear is a pretty good character.

Wir können auch anders
A German classic. Two analphabetic brothers and a Russian desateur on their crazy road trip through Eastern Germany. Unbelievable funny and laconic. Detlev Buck's best work (besides "Karniggels"), it's a shame that he doesn't make that great movies any longer.

Le Skylab
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....

Oh sorry, I fell asleep, because of this incerdible boring movie.

[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

I watched a couple of movies which I didn't want to (but I had nothing better to do) and which I wanted to watch.

"Where Eagles Dare" with Clint Eastwood belongs to the second group. I watched it as a kid and completely forgot it, but it has aged well imo. Especially important for gaming fans should be the scene with cable car, which influenced developers of Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

"You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger" belongs to first group. I'm disappointed. Allen's best times are over, however he is still capable of delivering thought-provoking (and simultaneously funny) scenes, like the one when Naomi Watts desperately tries to find out what would happen if Antonio Banderas would have fallen in love with her, not her friend. But most scenes are thin and predictable. The main theme of the movie putting unconsciously faithful people ahead of those "understanding things" on the ladder of happiness is interesting. But imo the movie is overall not successful - even as a sum of its parts.
"As you have noticed over the years, we are not angry people." (itebygur)
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

Watch "Midnight in Paris" instead and you will see that Woody Allen's best times are not over at all. But I agree, "You will meet..." was a little disappointing and certainly not his best movie.
[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

La fée
A wonderful Belgium love movie/comedy.

Dom is a lonely night porter who one night meets Fiona. She tells him that she's a fairy and grants him three wishes. Dom falls in love with the mysterious woman, but she is sent to a mental asylum and he has to free her, so they can be happy together.

The whole atmosphere, the absurd humour, and the bizarre situations and characters reminded me a lot of "Amélie Poulain" even if the humour is much more over the top in some scenes of "La fée". Think you can watch this movie as a date movie as well as something that will make you love when you're sad home alone.

Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

Prometheus
Ridley Scott's little excursion about humans and aliens, robots and gods. Even if it doesn't explain anything in the end (I think we will have to wait for the sequel for answers), it was surprisingly good. But on the other hand what can go wrong when you make an "Alien" prequel and have Noomi Rapace, Michael Fassbender and Charlize Theron in it?

Scythe
Winner of CWF review contest!

Post by Scythe »

I never bothered to mention Prometheus after seeing it. Honestly, it was a complete mess of plot failures going nowhere. None of the characters were fleshed out enough for me to care about them, which made it a visually pretty stunning film, but other than that boring. Not much of an Alien prequel either.

Nothing worthwhile has been seen recently, I'd have to go all the way back to Cabin in the Woods to find a movie that was really entertaining. On the other hand, lots of BluRays have been bought and gobbled up recently, movies I missed or that never made it to Denmark.
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

Chico & Rita
An ok movie if you like Cuban music. But besides that, it's a pretty conventional love story without any exciting or unforeseeable story twists. The animations are not even extremely good as well and so I think there are not many reasons to recommend this movie (but maybe it works pretty good as a date movie).

eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Among a couple of movies I watched recently there was "Following", a 70-minutes long black&white thriller by Christopher Nolan, made before he became famous. Recommended!
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

Yes, "Following" is great. I think it was Christopher Nolan's debut as a director.

Sons of Norway
A childhood in Norway. With punk, anarchy, Johnny Rotten and a pretty strange father. Very funny and very thoughtful at the same time, but sometimes also a little unfocused.

Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

You surely have a good movie time ahead of you. Will you se any of the movies in cinema for real or eerything on DVD?
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

DVD of course. Who goes to cinemas today?
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

Me. About once or twice a week. No matter how big your TV is, you can't compare it to a real cinema screen.
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Heh, I don't own TV.
Scythe
Winner of CWF review contest!

Post by Scythe »

Going to a cinema is a wonderful way to pass some time/spend your money. Why would you not go to a cinema? What the hell is wrong with you? Joking, I'm joking. I go once every few months, except for the festival of course. I enjoy big screens. I sit fairly close to the screen, I like it overwhelming.
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

Nuda v Brne
Each night about 150.000 people in Brne have sex. This movie is a story about some of them. Pretty grotesque, with a very strange kind of humour and probably the most unsensual and unerotic movie that was ever made about this theme.

eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Pater Alf wrote:in Brne
in Brno
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

Of course you are right.
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Funny that German distributor decided to name the movie "Sex in Brno", just like Polish one. The original title translates as "Boredom in Brno" and this is also the English title, according to IMDb. Great minds in our countries decided that sex sells better than boredom. :mrgreen: