Cinema

Here you can talk about anything (that isn't related to the other forums).

Moderator: Crew

eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Re: Cinema

Post by eMTe »

I watched last Jarmusch's movie, Only Lovers Left Alive. It's warm, light comedy, perfect for a trip to cinema with friends. It's perfectly shallow, sweet and unpretending - all in good way. I felt like slowly eating a cake with cream and cherry.

I couldnt believe watching this song:

Either Jarmusch knew it or he stumbled upon it during research for the film. Kudos for including this classic.
"As you have noticed over the years, we are not angry people." (itebygur)
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Attachments
1236825_275903882614569_1760278130281485726_n.jpg
1236825_275903882614569_1760278130281485726_n.jpg (40.29 KiB) Viewed 45821 times
Pater Alf
The Steel Spine of GameHunters

Post by Pater Alf »

O Captain! My Captain!

Rest in Peace, Robin Williams! :(
Attachments
Robin.jpg
Robin.jpg (19.13 KiB) Viewed 45818 times
[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

This is the worst movie with him Ive seen. Together with GM Vietnam.

The best is Fisher King, which, unsurprisingly, isn't mentioned in obituaries and articles.
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

"Dead Poets Society" is his worst movie?

Maybe you should watch more movies with Robin Williams then. The guy made awful stuff like "Flubber", "Popeye", "Toys", "Mrs. Doubtfire" and "Hook".
[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

Pater Alf wrote:"Dead Poets Society" is his worst movie?

Maybe you should watch more movies with Robin Williams then. The guy made awful stuff like "Flubber", "Popeye", "Toys", "Mrs. Doubtfire" and "Hook".
The first three I agree with, but what's with the Hook hate?
Do you has what it takes to join the Homestarmy? The guts? The determination? The five bucks? Join today!
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

Zyx wrote:
Pater Alf wrote:"Dead Poets Society" is his worst movie?

The first three I agree with, but what's with the Hook hate?
First of all I never liked the idea of a grown-up Peter Pan that returns to Neverland. Then I think the original Peter Pan story is very soulful and fanciful while the Hook movie looked quite sterile and soulless to me. It's a typical cold Hollywood blockbuster movie that doesn't leave room to your own imagination. Exactly the opposite to James Matthew Barrie's novel. On top of that most of the actors overact the whole time in this movie. Simply can't stand it.
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

True, I probably couldn't stand watching it today. But a much younger version of me did enjoy it.
Do you has what it takes to join the Homestarmy? The guts? The determination? The five bucks? Join today!
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Pater Alf wrote:Hook movie looked quite sterile and soulless to me. It's a typical cold Hollywood blockbuster movie
We probably (?) have different idea of what hollywoodishness is, but my worst movies types beat your Hook to the ground in this department. Oh, and I can add Awakenings to the list. ^^
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

I watched latest Woody Allen movie.

It's brilliant. Wonderfully crafted. It has shallow script moments and moments of absolute...brilliancy. Critics from Rotten Potatoes and IMD...something. Don't listen to them. Allen in his best. Something I would have commit if they gave me money and freedom.

And I will sooner or later, you fockers.
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKmT5vR24pE

Available with subtitles.

OG and CWF downgraded and stripped.
Drasir-Vel
[insert custom title here]

Post by Drasir-Vel »

I recently started a blog to sort of have a place where i post screenshots of the movies i watch or games i play. Depending on how much i have to say, i'll also write something.

Gone in 60 Seconds
A retired master car thief must come back to the industry and steal 50 cars with his crew in one night to save his brother's life.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0187078/

http://imgur.com/a/Mkdj6

http://estogram.wordpress.com/2014/09/0 ... 0-seconds/
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Is it any similar to my dadaist psychoanalysis? ^^
Drasir-Vel
[insert custom title here]

Post by Drasir-Vel »

Batman Begins
The story of how Bruce Wayne started out as son to a wealthy and idealist businessman. Gotham City is ridden with crime, and as Bruce grows up, things happen to him and those he holds dear, which makes him vow to fight crime and corruption in an effort to bring back Gotham to a better state.

http://imgur.com/a/FQMr4

http://estogram.wordpress.com/2014/09/1 ... an-begins/
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

I promised to go to cinema to watch Hobbit 3 (it's going to be sort of date, I'm justified), so I forced myself to watch Hobbit 1. It's so boring and uninspired that I can hardly watch it for longer periods - I do it only during meals, that way I got almost to half of running time.
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

The third one is forgettable. It basically happens in one place, so no feel of adventure.

Both the film makers and the audience have the same feeling, "let's just get over with this."
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

1955 - Quatermass Xperiment -Sci. Hor. Brian Donlevy Jack Warner - 7.5/10

Almost forgot this. You may know this movie as 'The Thing' with Kurt Russell. A space rocket crashes to earth, and with it comes... This movie is very much shot in the documentary style and is very watchable, although not as absolutely gripping as films mentioned above, I think it was very well made and, ignoring some slightly hokey later special effects, certainly gets the thumbs up.

I second what you said about the realism. But I disagree about special effects, if we treat these few here as sfx at all - the blob is very realistic and the movie is more a thriller than horror film, not overloaded with cheap gimmicks.

What I don't like about the movie is the main character. I mean, I like the role, but Brian Donlevy doesn't look and sound like a scientist at all, more like a gangster or authority figure. All his bossing the police around. I understand that the movie requires an expressive lead role, but this one here is just too strongly played, thus implausible.

Overall, if I would rate the movie 8/10. It's so good that it doesn't even have the feel of a B-movie.

I watched it in a small private cinema in Cracow. Felt like one of my tentacles wants to come out as real human-like. Very strange feeling.
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Recently, I watch - from time to time - classic movies, that I have forgotten. Ive discovered, that while I have watched many of them and know some of them by heart, to the point of quoting whole scenes from memory, some I have just "checked" in my book. Ive watched them, so if someone asks me "have you watched X", I can answer - not lying - "of course I did". But since I was 14 or something then, while I remember the basic plot I have forgotten almost everything else - dialogues, scenes, cinematography.

This applies to Taxi Driver - 1976, which I literally watched when I was middle teen probably and forgot about it. I even forgot how it ends.

First thing Ive noticed is how European or decidedly French the movie is - of what I have read later, that Mr Scorsese was clearly fascinated about new wave while directing it.

Second thing, debatable, I have noticed, is how relevant the movie is to modern rise of rightism. While many people believe it is ideological, I firmly believe, for years, that aggression and violence are psychological, not ideological. So, with modern people, especially young, falling into depression and
drug dependence, we will have world of thousands or millions of similar taxi drivers, soon.

This is the most interesting aspect of the movie for me; that the protagonist is unstable and spirals down, so THIS is what forces him to commit ALLEGEDLY political action. Which action is, in fact, no more political than a barfight.

Very important movie, from that standpoint.

What you think.