Cinema

Here you can talk about anything (that isn't related to the other forums).

Moderator: Crew

Scythe
Winner of CWF review contest!

Re: Cinema

Post by Scythe »

That sounds like an easy place to hide.

(I was demonstrating some European machismo, but maybe I was being too subtle.)
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

This forum is f uckin' similar to the f uckin' Scorsese, f uckin' Lynch, f uckin' Hitchcock, f uckin' Jamie Stewart, f uckin' Guy Ritchie, f uckin' Gregory Peck, f uckin Coen bros and f***' Coppola.

I hope you f*** get what I mean before you begin f*** your mothers, f*** your fathers, f*** Joe Pesci, f*** your sisters, f*** everything that can be f***.

Begin eating rubber chickens before Michael Douglas will claim to develop the throat cancer because he is celebrity.
"As you have noticed over the years, we are not angry people." (itebygur)
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Uh, I get the strange feeling that Dennis Hopper and Ben Kingsley overtook my online popcultural self-referential anti-tree and anti-stone personality. Even if for a while. ^^

I watched Tin Tin by Spielberg if it helps. The weather is nice and the sun is shining.
Pater Alf
The Steel Spine of GameHunters

Post by Pater Alf »

Evil Dead
The free ticket I had for "Evil Dead" said something like "The most shocking movie you ever saw". But in fact it was just another one in a series of soulless remakes of unforgettable horror cult classics that replaces low budget charme and atmosphere with blood and gore (and even more blood). Not as bad as some of the other ones (e.g. "Nightmare on Elm Street", "Texas Chainsaw Massacre"), but still far from being as good as the original movie.

P.S.: Next station on the horror remake train: Carrie
[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]
Meera
Probably a spambot

Post by Meera »

Yesterday i watched the movie 5ive Girls.it is so scary.This movie is about spirit of girl.
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

I haven't watched any movie since...erm, was it end of May or beginning of June? I switched to theatre which I am rediscovering now, there are many young troupes in Cracow doing good job (one I have even befriended) and besides, theatre, especially its outdoor incarnation is generally better option for summer. Imo.
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Recently I watched "Spanish Prisoner", a movie by David Mamet which I havent watched previously (surprisingly). If you know Mamet as the master of twists then this movie is his magnum opus. It's his Blue Velvet. It's his Barton Fink.

Recommended.
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

Paulette
French variation of "Saving Grace" and "Weeds". An older lady becomes a drug daler after her husband dies and she runs out of money. Funny movie, not because it is very original, but because it has very eccentric characters. Especially the negative, grumpy and racist main character is hillarious.

[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

I will watch Film Noir today or tomorrow. It doesnt have good ratings, but I was recommended to watch it and since my love for noir genre is everlasting I can't hesitate.
Pager
Winner of CWF review contest!

Post by Pager »

Watched Lockout the other day. It kind of felt like a Luc Besson film, but not quite, judging by the fact that he was executive producer, that ould hold solid. But still wasn't as "flashy" as other movies that were directed by him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLTOzu8N1Pg
CWF - Safer than Crack, Twice as Addicting
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

I watched Minority Report today. I barely swallowed it. I agree with Andrew O'Hehir film critic that Spielberg grew up with that movie, but it was only temporary grew-up of course. And comparisons with Blade Runner are outrageous. First, Blade Runner was all about aesthetics and the aesthetics introduced viewers to deeper questions. Spielberg tries the fake leftist approach - he puts hollywoodish mumbo-jumbo to the forefront and only lets fx follow it. This is not how things work in real life and this is why the movie fails to entertain the viewers, especially those who don't read at first all those underlying fakejewish/marxist issues.

The interesting thing, regarding Minority Report with all its staged noirness and sciencefictionness is that almost every old (define "old" yourself) noir and sf movie is funnier to watch than MR. Why?
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

eMTe wrote:And comparisons with Blade Runner are outrageous.
Well, both movies are based on Philip K. Dick's works...

I think it's more apt to compare Minority Report with Brazil, because it's essentially a Hollywood version of it. Also, you get a nice twist to Minority Report if you consider it ended the same way as Brazil: everything that happens after Cruise is put to hibernation just happens in his dreams - like Vanilla Sky. Yes, I'm spoiling as many movies as I can in one sentence.
Do you has what it takes to join the Homestarmy? The guts? The determination? The five bucks? Join today!
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Zyx wrote:Well, both movies are based on Philip K. Dick's works...
So what? We're living in times when you can turn Valis (if you have read this novel by Dick) into German eurodance song.
Zyx wrote:I think it's more apt to compare Minority Report with Brazil
I will think about it.
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

I watched The Bling Ring and as much as I like Sofia Coppola's former movies, I have to say that this one was pretty dull and redundant. Or can anyone explain why I should care about some spoiled high-society brats that break into the homes of lifestyle and Hollywood celebreties and steal their clothes and their stuff just to feel like being part of the scene?

eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

I watched Deep Cover, relatively obscure movie with Laurence Fishburne. It's far from greatness, but since it is tagged "noir" I couldnt help and watched it.

Slightly recommended.
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

I am watching Matrix. ^^

I must check IMDb top 100, because with that speed I will not only watch Star Wars before my fourties, but even entire list. :D
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

I watched two Korean crime movies - Madeo and Salinui chueok. Both very good. I was surprised how Korea is portrayed - it frequently rains and people usually dwell in dark houses. I thought movies taking place in a country having the same latitude Sicilia has would be more "bright" in nature, even if they belong to the mystery/crime subgenre. Instead, Korea looks much like Scandinavia. Winds, rains and depressed people. What more does true crime movie fan need? :D
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

About Time
Normally I can't stand romantic comedies, but this one was made by Richard Curtis ("The Boat that Rocked") so I had to watch it. And I wasn't disappointed. Even if the story is completely ridiculous (all men in a family can trave backwards through time to relive certain moments of their life over and over again) the writer/director finds the perfect balance between comedy, tragedy and romance and creates a wonderful movie this way.

eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

I have watched Fantastic Mr. Fox. Visually, it's a fest, significally - it fails as it tries to please both kids and matures and, as usual in such cases, it doesnt deliver. Im getting this weird feeling that people working on movies can be divided into two separate groups - those responsible for visuals and those responsible for social response. The former being constantly mutilated by the latter ones. You probably know the story behind "Ratatouille" where the Czech director was fired because his vision has been considered too unamerican.

Im getting increased feeling I should support guys from http://amanita-design.net/ with larger sum of money. I have no doubts they will at some point try to make a movie and, truly, Id rather see a movie produced by them rather than by Coen Bros, Matt Damon, George Clooney or Martin Leonardo Scorsese.
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Philip Seymour Hoffman is dead.

My first reaction was "sad news", but after some time I asked myself whether it is possible for anybody who is showing any signs of greatness to survive in modern world? Do not mistake greatness with otherness. In the past, people who were weaker were persecuted, nowadays people who are greater than the mob suffer.

Anyway, RIP.