Cinema

Here you can talk about anything (that isn't related to the other forums).

Moderator: Crew

Scythe
Winner of CWF review contest!

Re: Cinema

Post by Scythe »

I read Life of Pi. I thought the book made a fair amount of sense. Can't say if the movie does, but at least the book can be reread with the twist in mind. Looking at the trailer, they definitely focused on making it visual, and I see a LOT of stuff that wasn't in the book, so yeah... there's a good chance they screwed something up in favor of making a visually impresive movie?
Pater Alf
The Steel Spine of GameHunters

Post by Pater Alf »

Can't say. Anyone here who read the book and saw the movie?
[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

We once had the book in shop (and several other Martel's books too), but I associated its title with the rather chaotic movie by Darren Arronofsky, so I chose to not read it. Anyway, I choose to not read books and just keep my eyes and ears open, so maybe I missed a good book? 8)
"As you have noticed over the years, we are not angry people." (itebygur)
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

Jagten
Lucas works as a kindergarten teacher in a small town. Because of anger and hurt feelings, a little girl says something about him that the adults interpret as sexual abuse. A witch-hunt starts and destroys a life and even when the assumed victim takes back her accusations nobody listens and is willing or able to break the vicious circle.

Impressive movie that shows how mistrust, false accusations and hysteria lead to the breakdown of a community and social relationships and crack the thin ice of civilised behaviour. Very intense and oppressive and acted and directed in an outstanding way (especially the performance of Mads Mikkelsen).

[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

Hitchcock
Biopic about Alfred Hitchcock and his work on "Psycho". Movie has a pretty strong focus on his relationship to his wife Alma Reville. Much more entertaining than I thought it would be. It's a pleasure to watch Anthony Hopkins as Hitchcock.

Fun fact you learn from this movie: "Psycho" was the first US movie in which the flushing of a toilet was shown. :lol:

eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Yesterday I had a pleasure to watch Body Heat, finely crafted neo-noir movie which I surpsrisingly missed during my tv times. If you like movies inspired by noir classics from 40-ies, smooth jazz, night scenes, if you consider William Hurt one of your favourite actors and you prefer Kathleen Turner from the times when she looked not like she looks now this movie is recommended.
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

Ginger and Rosa
A movie about two teenage girls growing up in the 60s. Not bad, but I more or less love every coming-of-age movies. They give me such a good feeling about not being 16 anymore.

Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

Stoker
The father of India Stoker dies at her 18th birthday, because of a car crash. At his funeral she meets her uncle Charlie from which she doesn't doesn't know he existed. Slowly she finds out that there is a dark family secret and that she is part of it.

Excellent movie with several Hitchcock reminiscences and some David-Lynch-moments.

eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

I watched Discreet Charm of Burgeoisie (Burgeuiosie? Burgeiuoisie? Burge...damn! :D) again after maybe 18 years I watched it for the first and last time (I watched too much Bunuel, Bergman and Antonioni when I was teenager and here are the results ;))? The funny personal observation is that somebody who was considered revolutionary in his own times now looks like a polite kid. Times change or something. :wink:
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

Sometimes I wonder if I'm strange or if the rest of the world is. My local cinema showed Zombies from Outer Space tonight, a sci-fi-zombie-folklore-trash movie in the style of the 50s. I was hyped when I just heard the title, but besides me only seven other people were there to watch this hilarious movie.

eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Pater Alf wrote:Sometimes I wonder if I'm strange or if the rest of the world is.
I'm quite sure it depends on the time you post. 8)
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2012/aug ... me-america

This is the most up-to-date info I have. If you know anything new, please share it. 8)
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

Not sure if I need an extended version of this movie. In my eyes the European version already is a masterpiece the way it is.

Besides this there seems to be a version that is sold in Italy on DVD and Blue-Ray. But it is only about 15 minutes longer (244 minutes) than the old version.

http://www.movie-censorship.com/news_en.php?ID=4548

Can't find a proof for it though.
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

Since I have an extended version of Good, Bad, Ugly, I need nothing more from Sergio.
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Pater Alf wrote:Not sure if I need an extended version of this movie. In my eyes the European version already is a masterpiece the way it is.
Sure it is, but it would be interesting to know what was Sergio's original vision. Afair it was 8 or 9 hours to be cut into three movies. Unfortunately, he didn't live in times of Hobbit. 8)
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

I forced myself to watch Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I received the dvd as a gift over a year ago and I was almost sure that it is a stupid movie. Oddly, it is not. It is well-directed, well-produced, well-designed (I like how they cleverly mixed the live characters with puppets, stop-motion animation and computer animation) and it is full of obscure references. But overall, it's a "light" movie which even schoolchildren can watch, it sort of reminds me of The Neverending Story.

If there is any lesson people can take from watching it it is "to create don't panic message you must first meet people who panic". ;)
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

I watched Speed for the first tme in my life. Nearly 20 years after its release.

What a neat bad movie. Similar to Die Hard. It features the same shallow psychology, impossible escapes and a little less of those wannabe-fun one-liners (but still a good number), but it keeps you wanting to watch the end.

Basically, this is what is the difference between US and European cinema. European movie sometimes begins well, but you also begin to yawn with each minute. US movie begins well or bad, but since they over in US already know that cinema is for evening fun and ONLY for evening fun they use the tricks which keep you watching. Result? European cinema is completely dead, while US movies, including TV series, rule. And they rule also in the depth department, because it is this cinematic "trick" that you should use first and depth you should add only later. Just like Beatles. First, they created catchy songs, and only later they added the psychedelic instrumentation.

Anyway, not only European cinema, but the whole Europe is at the moment completely dead as formerly influential continent and rapidly slips into oblivion due to peaceful feminine factor. These influences should be lawnmowed. Only then we will experience more great movies. ;)
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

eMTe wrote: Basically, this is what is the difference between US and European cinema. European movie sometimes begins well, but you also begin to yawn with each minute. US movie begins well or bad, but since they over in US already know that cinema is for evening fun and ONLY for evening fun they use the tricks which keep you watching. Result? European cinema is completely dead, while US movies, including TV series, rule. And they rule also in the depth department, because it is this cinematic "trick" that you should use first and depth you should add only later. Just like Beatles. First, they created catchy songs, and only later they added the psychedelic instrumentation.)
Completely disagree with everything you say here. US cinema is completely boring for years in my eyes. Even most of their indie movies make me yawn, because many of them are such a remake or stolen ideas from European/Asian/South American movies. And I don't even want to speak about the US mainstream movies which are either sequels or a constant repeat of the same formula over and over and over again. Some are fun to watch (but most of them only if you are a teenager that is easy to impress), but most of them give me heavy headaches or the urge to scream within minutes.

European cineam on the other hand might not be technically perfect, but overall it tells the much more interesting stories. Especially the Scandinavian cinema has several highlights each year, but also Romania, the UK, Bulgaria and even German cinema has been great lately.
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

eMTe wrote:Anyway, not only European cinema, but the whole Europe is at the moment completely dead as formerly influential continent and rapidly slips into oblivion due to peaceful feminine factor. These influences should be lawnmowed. Only then we will experience more great movies. ;)
Get the hell out of the cinema topic and go hide in the philosophy corner! :hammer:
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

How can you hide on a dead forum with 5 active members?