Cinema

Here you can talk about anything (that isn't related to the other forums).

Moderator: Crew

Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Worse than Knock off with Jean Claude Van damme? That movie had so much slow motion in it that if you played it in real time the movie would be over in 10 minutes... Also had weird cameraeffects that seemed to be there just for the sake of being there... At one point the camera follows his foot down his shoe - for no apparent reason...
And you are saying it's worse than that...?
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain
Scythe
Winner of CWF review contest!

Post by Scythe »

You want to make a worst movie thread? :)
Pater Alf
The Steel Spine of GameHunters

Post by Pater Alf »

Good idea! I'm in. :)
Pager

Post by Pager »

You know this is not really about a movie I have seen, it is more about a movie that is so over-hyped that I hope I never see...and that movie is Twilight. There is so much hype over this movie, and this guy's mug is freakin' everywhere. I mean if you're into teen romance with vampires then go ahead, but for the most part I would say that the target audience is pretty limited. Except for the fact that they have no problem dishing out oodles of cash to see the movie and buy periphenalia. I happened to be in the book store one day and this girl was asking the sales woman if they had any copies of Twilight, the clerk pointed to this huge mound of books, about 10 feet high, and says, "Right here, unless you're looking for the ones with the actors' faces on them, we don't have anymore of those," then the girl got mad and just walked out.

I'm not a huge fan of vampires as it is, IMHO there has only ever been a few good vampire movies in history, Nosferatu, Dracula, Near Dark, From Dusk to Dawn, and Buffy the Vampire Slayer with Kristy Swanson (mainly because she looked smokin' in those tights).

But there are some close calls, Night Watch was decent, Day Watch was a bit of a letdown. Interview with a Vampire, because it was Tom Cruise's best character until Tropic Thunder and the fact that Christian Slater (Gleaming the Cube 4 Life!) was in it. I would have enjoyed it better if Tom Cruise was being interviewed by Christian Slater and he was talking about his trials and tribulations about having to hang out with Brad Pitt's whinny arse character Louis for an eternity.
CWF - Safer than Crack, Twice as Addicting
Dizi
Legend

Post by Dizi »

The Vampire Chronicle books are much better then that film...although I did enjoy the film and do think that Tom was great in it, I'm not a huge fan of his. The 2nd book is all about Lestat (Toms character) and does give you a lot of insight into him.... Then they made the 3rd book queen of the damned into a film and that was a train crash, problem is the book jumps from place to place and character to character which works for the book, the film just chopped out the majority of the story and made lestat into the worst 2d boring character ever, when really he isn't like that at all.

Twilight on the other hand, I had read the first 2 books before the film came out, and I thought they were an ok read. Problem with them is that the character development doesn't really come until about halfway through the 2nd book....Sooo was hoping that the characters in the film would have a bit of depth, unfortunate they were as 2d as they are in the 1st book, and it was soooo slow, the acting is terrible but that might just be because the characters have no character :p

But I am a huge fan of vampires, favourite vampire film has to be near dark.
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

Rec
Very bad Spanish horror movie. Not a single sign of suspense or innovative story-telling. Instead there is lots of blood, loud screaming and hectical hand-camera movement.
Can't believe that there is a Hollywood remake that should even be worse...
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

I saw it at last year's film festival, and it was a good thing we had three movies that night. I too was flabbergasted that they'd even want to make a Hollywood remake.

Now, Drag Me to Hell was an awesome horror comedy. It wasn't quite up to Evil Dead standards, but I had a riot.
Pager

Post by Pager »

Went to see Revenge of the Fallen a couple of weeks ago...and I'm not afraid to admit it, but there was a scene which I was apparently crying like a little girl. :cry:

For those of you who haven't seen it yet, I won't ruin the movie, but my fiancee had a good chuckle mostly at my expense.

But as for the general consensus of the movie, I thought it was awesome! Although I had what they did to Devastator...even though it was still a comibnation of construction equipment the huge robot was a bit of a letdown/throwback to beastwars.

And Soundwave needed a bigger, more action packed part...mind you, he isn't much of a brilliant character to begin with, but he was always creepy in his own way.
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Ok I saw some movies these last two weeks that I wanted to share with you guys:

Is Hollywood, but when Hollywood makes great pictures of disasters etc and cares a little less about wether the main characters story is interestig enough. A few things got a little too patriotic, but a lot less than what we have seen in other movies. The pictures of the disaster and the story behind is somewhat believable, and I had my toes curled up for more than half the movie I believe. Amazing pictures. Should be seen in the cinema!

The bucket list: Once more Jack Nicholson turns out to be great fun, and Morgan Freeman plays better that anyone ever. Those two are a weird but perfect couple. Great movie, where I had to swallow a few times during some scenes...

--Mark Twain
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

The Muppet Christmas Carol

Pure magic! A must-see every year!
[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

Where The Wild Things Are
I love the book and I think the movie is brilliant as well. Of course there are lots of new plots, but what should a writer/director do if the original book just have something about 250 words and he wants to turn it into a full-lengths movie.

Design, atmosphere, camera work and soundtrack are great, but I can see the problem the studio had with this movie. They wanted a cute fantasy movie for the whole family and instead Spike Jonze created a very dark movie which is mainly about loneliness, anger, fear and despair. Adults often forget that these feelings are inside kids as well and so this movie might be more disturbing for grown-ups than it is for children (even if I won't watch it with little ones). Hope always shines through in this movie, but it won't stay for a super-sweet happy end.

I'm very happy that Spike Jonze fought hard for his version! :goodjob:
[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]
Pager

Re: Cinema

Post by Pager »

Shutter Island

Wow. I thought this movie was fantastic. I'm not much of a Scorsese person, I think I slept through most of Taxi Driver, Gangs of New York wasn't bad just too long and split across 2 DVDs is a pain, and once you've seen The Departed the twist really wasn't that much of a twist...but I just have to say, I found this movie fantastic!

I liked the fact that he was basically emulating the feel of a 1950's crime suspense movie, and there were a few shots and scenes that really gave that feeling that you were watching a timeless classic piece, but enough of modern film techniques to bridge the gap.

I don't want to spoil the plot for anyone who might go see this, but I can tell you the whole time I had thought I had figured the movie out, and at the end I was shocked to find out that I was way off, it was the first time at the cinema that I said out loud, "Huh, did not see that coming..."
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

Splice
Kind of a modern Frankenstein story. Somehow it was a weird mixture between horror/suspense movie and family drama. Of course you could see the twist in the end coming miles ahead, but it was still good when it was finally there. Excellent movie!
Pager

Post by Pager »

I've heard it was very well done...one reviewer here said that they broke the horro movie rules of showing the monster, and managed to still make a great movie out of it...
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

Very true! And even better they make you sympathize with the "monster" no matter that you know that something awful will happen.
Pager

Post by Pager »

really? I haven't seen it yet, but now I think I will. Thanks for the endorsement PA!
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

Pager wrote:Shutter Island

Wow. I thought this movie was fantastic. I'm not much of a Scorsese person, I think I slept through most of Taxi Driver, Gangs of New York wasn't bad just too long and split across 2 DVDs is a pain, and once you've seen The Departed the twist really wasn't that much of a twist...but I just have to say, I found this movie fantastic!

I liked the fact that he was basically emulating the feel of a 1950's crime suspense movie, and there were a few shots and scenes that really gave that feeling that you were watching a timeless classic piece, but enough of modern film techniques to bridge the gap.

I don't want to spoil the plot for anyone who might go see this, but I can tell you the whole time I had thought I had figured the movie out, and at the end I was shocked to find out that I was way off, it was the first time at the cinema that I said out loud, "Huh, did not see that coming..."
Saw this movie today at my local cinema and I think it was the most interesting movie Scorsese made in years. Not as good as his early works, but still very good. The plot seems to be very simple and yet I didn't see the twist in the end coming at all. Design, camera and editing are very good, there are excellent actors and it was the first movie in which I believed Leonardo diCaprio that he is really an adult man and not a teenage college boy.
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

I saw Sherlock Holmes tonight, and I must say I was positively surprised. I was afraid I was set up for a lot of "elementary my dear Watson" etc, but it didn't occur once...
I loved the way they pieced the movie together, and you got a feel for the characters, though there were some stuff I could have been without - like the reference to radio waves being the future... I think that was a bit corny...
But all in all a good film, and I wouldn't mind if it turned out to be a trilogy or something. It certainly has the setting and posibility with that ending. I am guessing Guy Ritchie thought so as well.

--Mark Twain
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

Resident Evil: Afterlife 3D
I thought it was time to watch my first 3D movie and I decided that it might be a good idea to choose something where the story won't distract you from the special effects. So I went and saw "Resident Evil: Afterlife 3D" and I can tell you that I wasn't diappointed. Without the 3D effects this would've been one of the most stupid and dumbest movies I've seen for years (I still wonder if there was a story hidden somewhere), but because of the 3D experience it was still quite entertaining.

I still don't think that 3D is something like the reinvention of cinema and I can't see an additional benefit for most, but I admit that it might be fun to watch stupid 3D action movies from time to time.
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

I saw Avatar in 3d, where it was really well used. I also believe it pulled the movie up a bit, because the story was seen before, although the settings werent. I am with you that most movies shouldn't be made 3D, but hey...raise your hand if you would like to see the Lord of the rings trilogy in 3D...
*Raising hand*

--Mark Twain