Exploitation or helping

Here you can talk about anything (that isn't related to the other forums).

Moderator: Crew

Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Exploitation or helping

Post by Chroelle »

Me and the GF just saw a tv-program about an Indian kid who got rescued from the slum by a trainer that is now training him to become the biggest marathon runner of all times. He had him running his first marathon at 4. This however is destroying his muscles and body in general as the child-body is not built for that kind of practice and strain.

IS this helping or exploiting. My GF felt so bad for the kid, but I had to have that "cruel" thought that made her look at me like I was a cold bastard... If the kid lived in slum before, then this is a step up. No matter what he was worse off before. If you look at life as a ladder, where slumliving is the bottom step and the 4th step is an ok life, not good but you get by, then I have to see this situation as a step up for this kid.

It is basically the situation where a man gives a homeless man a doughnut and a lady stops up and tells him "dont you know how bad they are for your teeth"...
This kid gets food and shelter and a trainer that cares about him and gives him comfort even though he has some wrong ideas, he is doing some good things for this kid, but at the same time destroying his body so that he will be an invalid later on in life (at least an athlete-invalid - if that is an expresion...)
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain