The Execution of Saddam

Here you can talk about anything (that isn't related to the other forums).

Moderator: Crew

spanek
Tycoon

The Execution of Saddam

Post by spanek »

Do you think that by killing Saddam (and the way they did it), will help?? What I believe is, that they have made a Martyr of Saddam, and the Iraqis will take their revenge.
My opinion is, that they should have locked him up in a prison for life.

In addition, do you think it was right to show the execution to the news?? Children died because of that, trying to imitate the hanging!
[url=http://s1.gladiatus.gr/game/c.php?uid=17513]Press me if you dare!![/url]
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

I am generally against the death penalty, so even in a case like Saddam I have to go with prison for life or as we have to call it in Denmark - prison to death, since a lot of people get released in Denmark when they become old. That is just a plain wrong message to send. Oh because it has been so long you are free to go. Some of these guys did crimes in their 30's but get released at 75 when doing life. So the family of the victim of the crime (mostly murderers get life) can sit back and watch the killer get off early. Nope dont buy it...

I think killing Saddam was downright stupid, but keeping him in prison also had some issues. By keeping him in prison you would keep the hope alive for rebels hoping for his re-installation as ruler.
So I think he should have been brought to Haag and trialed there. They would commit him to life and he would be kept out of the way from rebels.
Just look at how it went with Milosevich...

And NO - dont ever show people dying on the news. There will always be parents that do not care/think about what their kids watch in TV. We just had two cases this weekend where ex-boyfriends killed their girlfriends in dependently. One of them killed their two kids along with her, and lots of kids came to school monday asking why and what that was all about. Clearly the parents had not thought about what this sort of thing would do to a kid watching it. We had to talk for a long time with the kids to get them to understand that this was very sick men and not just sad ones. (They have heard their parents saying that they are sad to and the news might describe the killer as in a sad mood. Kids do not get that difference. They do not have a measure about how sad you have to be to commit murder.)
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain
BlueDEvil
Tourist

Post by BlueDEvil »

Execution is done in the name of politics and profits. It only help their damn propaganda. Death penalty is fine, but we don't need to watch this on TV. I think american public actually enjoy watching it. Beside being an ex-ally of the west, I have doubt that many of the crimes were actually committed by him. This is just an easy way to clean up their mess. As history have it, most dictators are always executed in public or by other unorthodox way.
Prideth
Patron

Post by Prideth »

Will I be a bad person if my response is an honest...meh?

Didn't think it would change anything before the execution, and don't think it has changed anything since. My feelings were total disinterest in the whole thing. He was effectivly found guilty from the moment of his arrest, so the execution itself was expected and not a surprise in the least.

The man was a murderous odious swine, and Iraq has, and and has always had, the death penalty. I guess while he was handing it out left right and centre to his own people while in power, innocent and guilty, whether personally or through proxies, Saddam never guessed it would one day be used against him. Now it has been, and he is gone. That chapter of Iraq's past is over.

The execution itself wasn't shown on the news here, so I can't comment on that.
[size=75][color=darkblue]Catch a falling star and put it in your pocket
Never let it fade away
Catch a falling star and put it in your pocket
Save it for a rainy day[/color][/size]